Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lineker stated next years xmas schedule is
    Dec 16, dec 20, dec 23, dec 26, dec 30, jan 1. Close to 1/6th of the season in half a month.

That'll never happen. It makes to much sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

C1RvDfxVEAAYiqk.jpg
    C1RvUtKUkAAFvA_.jpg

The key to winning any league is beating the mediocre teams.Do your job in those games and you don't have to worry about the "big games"

That's what Man Utd were brilliant at when they were great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Lineker stated next years xmas schedule is
    Dec 16, dec 20, dec 23, dec 26, dec 30, jan 1. Close to 1/6th of the season in half a month.

It's brilliant isn't it.Just think how **** the Christmas break would be without all these matches to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

C1RvDfxVEAAYiqk.jpg
    C1RvUtKUkAAFvA_.jpg

as I posted on the Liverpool thread Liverpool have dropped just 26% of possible points against the Top 6 but have also dropped 26% of possible points against the rest of the league. And therein lies the weakness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Leaving Everton aside, if the other 13 are bit part players in term of the title race and likely points dropped, then the remaining games between the top 6 themselves and where they are played could prove pivotal:

Chelsea: Liverpool, Spurs, Man U away and City, Arsenal at home
    Liverpool: Man U, City away and Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal at home
    City: Chelsea, Arsenal away and Man U, Spurs, Liverpool at home
    Arsenal: Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea away and City, Man U at home
    Spurs: Liverpool, City away and Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal at home
    Man U: City, Arsenal, Spurs away and Chelsea, Liverpool at home

City play Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea consecutively at the end of march and start of April. These games come on the back of the Monaco second leg (play united the weekend after the first leg.) United go to Spurs and Arsenal in their last 3 games of the season.

Exciting times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

On the xmas schedule.

Hours taken from the start of a team's first game to the end of their third game
    1 Chelsea 223
    2 Watford, Crystal Palace 201.5
    3 Swansea 199
    4 Arsenal, Bournemouth 198.75
    5 Stoke 172.75
    6 West Ham 172.5
    7 Man Utd 172.25
    8 Burnley, Everton, Sunderland, Tottenham, West Brom 170
    9 Hull, Man City 167.75
    10 Leicester, Middlesbrough 167.5
    11 Liverpool 143.75
    12 Southampton 117

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

On the xmas schedule.

Hours taken from the start of a team's first game to the end of their third game
    1 Chelsea 223
    2 Watford, Crystal Palace 201.5
    3 Swansea 199
    4 Arsenal, Bournemouth 198.75
    5 Stoke 172.75
    6 West Ham 172.5
    7 Man Utd 172.25
    8 Burnley, Everton, Sunderland, Tottenham, West Brom 170
    9 Hull, Man City 167.75
    10 Leicester, Middlesbrough 167.5
    11 Liverpool 143.75
    12 Southampton 117

Southampton had nearly half the rest Chelsea had, luck of the draw & that but they could have saved so much hassle playing the first game on Christmas eve. As nearly everyone got 8 days rest until Boxing day then were asked to play 3 in the same amount, pure stupid. Some of the games were a bad advertisement of the league too but have been all year I guess.
    Mind you I still won't use tiredness as an excuse for Liverpool not beating Sunderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Wenger having a right moan but Arsenal got nearly as much rest as anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    Era the fixture list was drawn up back in July and the TV schedule published in October so moaning now is kind of pointless.

London teams usually get more rest than the other teams as there is usually 4 or 5 teams from London in the league at any one time, making up 25% of the sides in the division.

Given you a greater chance of having a London derby and having less travel, the top 3 rested sides are all from London and they played derbies over the festive period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Lukker- wrote: »

2 games in 3 days was what irked him. Relatively big gap between game 1 and 2 is what made those stats look good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

greendom wrote: »
    2 games in 3 days was what irked him. Relatively big gap between game 1 and 2 is what made those stats look good.

In fairness he was complaining before the match too.

I've no sympathy for the big teams, there is a decent break from the CL and they have big enough squads and enough talent to rotate to get by.

The likes of Southampton certainly got the short end of the stick, fairly threadbare squad getting 2 days rest on average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

greendom wrote: »

Could have been even worse. Some had 2 games in less than 2 days which was madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Lukker- wrote: »

He is right its very unfair for a team with 2 days rest to play a team with 3 days rest. Its not the same as a team with 3 days rest playing a team with 4 days rest. 2 days is not enough time to recover properly 3 days is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Lads surely if ye don't play football ye at least know someone who does enjoy playing you'd be going full pelt multiple nights a week, I'm not suggesting at the level or the perceived level but these lads are on ABSOLUTE THOUSANDS to suggest that these pampered athletes can't play twice in 48 hours is a joke-shop.I'm guessing it's mainly believed by gullible people who believe everything that comes out of a managers gob whose job could be on the line at any given moment.

If you're a pro footballer and your gas tank isn't cut out for a 2 90 minute games over a short duration you should be straight on the transfer list, the managers main problem is having time to prepare, drill new opposition etc but that his players aren't in condition get out of it just another excuse.

Lads surely if ye don't play football ye at least know someone who does enjoy playing you'd be going full pelt multiple nights a week, I'm not suggesting at the level or the perceived level but these lads are on ABSOLUTE THOUSANDS to suggest that these pampered athletes can't play twice in 48 hours is a joke-shop.I'm guessing it's mainly believed by gullible people who believe everything that comes out of a managers gob whose job could be on the line at any given moment.

If you're a pro footballer and your gas tank isn't cut out for a 2 90 minute games over a short duration you should be straight on the transfer list, the managers main problem is having time to prepare, drill new opposition etc but that his players aren't in condition get out of it just another excuse.

You don't sleep properly the night you have had a game anybody that has played at any sort of a level even a late night game of 5 a side may have noticed this. For players operating at an elite level this is far from ideal less than 48 hours before the next game. If its not such a big deal why do all the clubs who play in el on a thursday not just play on a Saturday. How come there is never a 48 hour difference between games at any other stage during the season or in any of the other elite leagues in the world. Of course they can go out and play again 48 hours later but not to the level they should and its not fair going up against someone that has had an extra days rest when we are talking 2 days between games. Allardyce said it in his post match as did the caretaker Swansea manager it made a big difference. If they are going to have games 48 hours apart all teams should have the same rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

He is right its very unfair for a team with 2 days rest to play a team with 3 days rest. Its not the same as a team with 3 days rest playing a team with 4 days rest. 2 days is not enough time to recover properly 3 days is.

At the same time Bournemouth had two away games in London and Wales before it in quick succession. Arsenal had two home games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

You don't sleep properly the night you have had a game anybody that has played at any sort of a level even a late night game of 5 a side may have noticed this. For players operating at an elite level this is far from ideal less than 48 hours before the next game. If its not such a big deal why do all the clubs who play in el on a thursday not just play on a Saturday. How come there is never a 48 hour difference between games at any other stage during the season or in any of the other elite leagues in the world. Of course they can go out and play again 48 hours later but not to the level they should and its not fair going up against someone that has had an extra days rest when we are talking 2 days between games. Allardyce said it in his post match as did the caretaker Swansea manager it made a big difference. If they are going to have games 48 hours apart all teams should have the same rest.

It is just this one period we are talking about if it was an ongoing situation of course it would be more adverse.

Back to my point of course Big Sam etc is gonna use 100% it it's a nice excuse to have, the other poster refers to Arsenal there but of all managers Big Sams side actually had the luxury of having ALL Christmas period games in the vicinity of London and didn't win any of them, in fact the team he found himself managing hasn't built up much miles since travelling to Hull on Dec 10!!

And yes totally agree the teams should all have similar rest that used to be the case but over the last few years TV has pulled it apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Of course they CAN do it but you are not getting anything close to peak performance from those players in those circumstances. Plus it leaves players much more susceptible to injuries especially muscle strains and tears.

Just because they CAN do it doesn't mean they SHOULD have to do it though.

I can only go on my own experience of playing at a much lower level. On the odd occasion when we had 2 games in 48 hours I was never right for the second game. Now I didn't have the benefit of all the rest and recovery that a professional has because I had work in between but the second game was always a real grind to get through. You turned up but you'd know yourself even before kick-off that the tank was already half-empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Era the fixture list was drawn up back in July and the TV schedule published in October so moaning now is kind of pointless.

London teams usually get more rest than the other teams as there is usually 4 or 5 teams from London in the league at any one time, making up 25% of the sides in the division.

Given you a greater chance of having a London derby and having less travel, the top 3 rested sides are all from London and they played derbies over the festive period.

To exaggerate this effect, Chelsea never left London, 2 home games followed by a huge trek to Tottenham. Recovery time is important, and even if two days is short, the rest time should be more consistent between teams.

Big game tonight. Two physically big, powerful teams that are well rested ;) so could be a bit of a slog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I always slept like a baby after a game whether it be day or night. The night before the game was the one I wouldn't sleep right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Tottenham
    Can't say I agree with that. The risk of injury is much higher and what the players can produce will be lower than normal. It also favours the bigger teams with bigger squads. I think there is no way a team should play 2 games in 48 hours.

What part of what I said do you not agree with? If the fans want congestion-packed holiday season football and they are paying good money to attend in person or at home, then they will be given what they want..

I do agree that playing 2 games in less than 48 hours will favour the bigger clubs with bigger squads and there is a greater risk of injury... but again... the general fan would probably rather have the extra fixture during a holiday period than not, even in the face of heightened injury chances or an advantage in squad size being incurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Surprise wba win, 2-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Chelsea
    GreNoLi wrote:
    Surprise wba win, 2-1.

Matty Phillips with a brace would be ideal

Manchester United
    Matty Phillips with a brace would be ideal

Looks the real deal, happy for Pulis as well, always liked him.

Manchester United
    Kane scores, Pulis will be having an aneurisym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    Kane scores a cracker.

Jayop puts on the golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Spurs are flying at the moment. Kane Erikson and alli all on fire

Spurs are flying at the moment. Kane Erikson and alli all on fire

Very underrated team on this forum. It wouldn't surprise me if they won the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Spurs are good at football

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Very underrated team on this forum. It wouldn't surprise me if they won the league.

They are excellent but very little strength in depth and the Europa League will hinder them a lot if they progress.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Spurs will always let you down.

Jayop wrote: »
    They are excellent but very little strength in depth and the Europa League will hinder them a lot if they progress.

Apart from having no cover for Kane. I think their squad is really strong and flexible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Apart from having no cover for Kane. I think their squad is really strong and flexible.

I'd assume questions still surround their mentality after last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That was an unreal goal by Kane

The technique to keep that down, unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mushy wrote: »

And the question on why they are back in the Europa League

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Mushy wrote: »

In fairness every club up there at the moment has mentality questions. Chelsea are probably the strongest in that regard but if they lose Costa.........

Spurs have bounced back so well this season (in the league, anyway!) which is a good reflection on their mentality, also

Spurs 4-0 Kane HT

Fair to say they are going to pose a challenge for 5 other sides in this Top 4 race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That's one of the best hat-tricks you'll see in a while. Three great technical strikes of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Spurs will always let you down.
    It seems that almost every year it goes t1ts up for them in the spring time. Will this be the year when they can hold their nerve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Arnautovic is having a great game at Sunderland.

His first touch from a long diagnal ball for his first goal was sublime.

The second goal they ripped the Sunderland defence apart with one touch football his desire and finish.

• Advertisement

Arnautovic is having a great game at Sunderland.

His first touch from a long diagnal ball for his first goal was sublime.

The second goal they ripped the Sunderland defence apart with one touch football his desire and finish.
    Is this the year they don't dig themselves out of the smelly stuff? They have to hang on to Defoe; if he buggers off, they're done for.

blueser wrote: »
    Is this the year they don't dig themselves out of the smelly stuff? They have to hang on to Defoe; if he buggers off, they're done for.

Unfortunately I think it is.

Unlucky with injuries to crucial players and the Pickford one has been the tipping point.

Crouch has just embarrassed Mannone for Stokes 3rd and with that hundreds of home fans have headed for the exits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Chelsea
    Ah 3 nil down at home with Moyes as your manager.

Bad memories for me.

Unlucky Sunderland

Defoe shows his class again, long ball down the middle and such a calm finish.

Chelsea
    I swear sky pick the crappiest 3pm kick off every week for Ireland. Absolute muck.

Jayop wrote: »
    I swear sky pick the crappiest 3pm kick off every week for Ireland. Absolute muck.
    It's pretty grim stuff, alright.

Hull 3 - 1 Cherries in crisis.

Chelsea
    blueser wrote: »
    It's pretty grim stuff, alright.

At least three other games I'd have watched sooner than this

Chelsea
    Hull 3 - 1 Cherries in crisis.

Some turnaround!