Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Manchester United
    I dont even know to be honest. My point was so obvious I was slightly frazzled at having to justify it. The English number one being dropped cos he can't distribute the ball should speak volumes

Manchester United
    astradave wrote: »
    For someone that went absolutely ballistic because people said that they never heard of Vertical offers, you have some gall on you to say that..

Maybe if you took off your jizz filled glasses you would see that the match was pretty mediocre and their was nothing special on offer.

But hey don't let that get in the way of you going on as if you have watched the second coming of Christ.

tbf I just thought it was funny that out of the players dropped you chose to use Hart as "the most notable" "big money player" when the obvious and most notable one was Yaya

I used the word "notable" read the papers tomorrow, see if the headlines go to Hart or Toure and come back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I dont even know to be honest. My point was so obvious I was slightly frazzled at having to justify it. The English number one being dropped cos he can't distribute the ball should speak volumes.

Did Pep say that? I'd have thought he was dropped because he's not very good at stopping goals.

Manchester United
    Did Pep say that? I'd have thought he was dropped because he's not very good at stopping goals.

Ye but Caballero is even worse at that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Manchester United
    Hmm, I might not read this thread as much as often as I had intended to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

5starpool wrote: »

About time to start dedicated threads for City matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Chelsea
    Its early days but some of these movements are superb, a far cry from the lethargy and lack of cohesion of last season. Also see how compressed the City shape is upon losing the ball, their spacing, as with all Pep teams, is supreme. Loving the involvement of the full backs in their central roles and how quickly and precisely the centre backs are distributing the ball. Still areas to work on but its been an encouraging start here.

Loving that he mentioned this less than 5 mins after BT talked about it and nobody pulled him up on it.

I think most regular football fans will have seen that Pep is gonna learn some very harsh lessons this season against much better teams than a Sunderland team who just changed manager 2 weeks ago. Inverted fullbacks or whatever that nonsense was will be exposed repeatedly. Silva and De Bruyne as part of a midfield 3 will be savaged against most top half teams. Kolorov in CB is just another Pepism of "look what a genius I am to change this guys position".

Now all thats not to say that Citeh wont destroy some teams because they will. They have world class talent available to them and the best CF in the league in Aguero (when fit). But even without my Red Devil shades on I think Pep will try to be too clever too often and City will suffer because of that. And I expect Mourinho and Wenger especially knowing how the English press work will pile the pressure onto Pep weekly once Christmas rolls around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The wings tend not to be the issue with this shape (which Guardiola has adapted slightly since Bayern's 2nd season under Pep) rather it's quick turnovers and a player switching off when the team have the ball. The common theme in Pep's teams are that the defenders he chooses are all excellent 1 vs 1 (another reason for the Stones purchase) and can ably shift across to full back positions to cover the inverted full backs.
    Except Stones who lacks pace & Kolorov are not good in 1v1's. Unlike Boateng & Mascherano previously.Mangala who is being sold is excellent in 1v1's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

LeeJM wrote: »
    Loving that he mentioned this less than 5 mins after BT talked about it and nobody pulled him up on it.

I think most regular football fans will have seen that Pep is gonna learn some very harsh lessons this season against much better teams than a Sunderland team who just changed manager 2 weeks ago. Inverted fullbacks or whatever that nonsense was will be exposed repeatedly. Silva and De Bruyne as part of a midfield 3 will be savaged against most top half teams. Kolorov in CB is just another Pepism of "look what a genius I am to change this guys position".

Now all thats not to say that Citeh wont destroy some teams because they will. They have world class talent available to them and the best CF in the league in Aguero (when fit). But even without my Red Devil shades on I think Pep will try to be too clever too often and City will suffer because of that. And I expect Mourinho and Wenger especially knowing how the English press work will pile the pressure onto Pep weekly once Christmas rolls around.

He ruined Bayern in the champions league by trying to be too clever for his own good.

Manchester United
    He ruined Bayern in the champions league by trying to be too clever for his own good.

I read this post and all I could think of was this

QhDvF.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

QhDvF.gif

Why? Were those 2 lads part of Guardiolas coaching staff at Bayern?

Manchester United
    I had been hoping for a debate on how City will need to improve the use of their interior midfielders in support of the wide players in order to create overloads, but instead I got a Jim Carrey gif.

Maybe you need to consider the level of your audiences.

• Chelsea
    Lineker better not pussy out with the underpants thing tonight on MOTD
    Shearer trolling him all day :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea

QhDvF.gif

Honest to god when I read your posts all i think about is this
    nCxolEQ.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Terrible atmosphere at the City game too. What has happened to their fan base. Maine Road used to have an atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

City's trad support base has abandoned ship and the replacements are tourists, so now they are just like all the big clubs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

City's trad support base has abandoned ship and the replacements are tourists, so now they are just like all the big clubs!

I don't think that's really the case. Moves to new stadiums, for whatever reason, can kill the atmosphere. You'll see it with west ham this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    Fair play the Lineker.

I don't think that's really the case. Moves to new stadiums, for whatever reason, can kill the atmosphere. You'll see it with west ham this year.

Well "horrid new bowl" syndrome is a feature you're right esp when they are bigger - as newbies tend to buy the extra capacity. It's one reason I was happy enough that Liverpool's owners decided to expand Anfield rather than move next door.

• Chelsea
    Fair play the Lineker.

He kept a straight face the whole time, with Shearer and Ian sneering away in the background haha

• Advertisement

He's had enough boooooooo! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    When the camera panned to Hart there it looked as if he is doing a Rooney up top, seems his hair is very thin.. wonder if its all the shampoo he is using

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Chelsea
    Nice assist from James McClean today for WBA. He'd a good Euros and it'd be nice to see him him build on it in the PL this year.

I know it's only one game gone, but given their poor league form from Dec onwards last season (2 wins from 21) and some very dodgy dancing in the cup final, Pardew could be the next for the chop, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

the BBC running adverts on their score board

• Chelsea
    Pete Moss wrote: »
    Nice assist from James McClean today for WBA. He'd a good Euros and it'd be nice to see him him build on it in the PL this year.

I know it's only one game gone, but given their poor league form from Dec onwards last season (2 wins from 21) and some very dodgy dancing in the cup final, Pardew could be the next for the chop, IMO.

Great Free Kick.
    But still think he will continue to play from the bench. He had the same impact at the Euros.

Chelsea
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Great Free Kick.
    But still think he will continue to play from the bench. He had the same impact at the Euros.

It really was an excellent ball in and Rondon met it well.

Keeping with the Irish lads - I'm looking forward to seeing Coleman in Koeman's Everton team. The season before last, Clyne and Bertrand were terrific for Southampton, Cedric had a good season last year and I think Koeman will continue to use his full-backs as an attacking outlet, so I'm expecting Coleman to thrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Chelsea
    hahah Linekar really did it !!

fair play to him, he's in pretty good shape for a man in his fifties !!

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

5starpool wrote: »

He's your problem now, PL fans.
    EOKEp9x.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Manchester United
    the BBC running adverts on their score board

That ad is for the Premier League (all channels), so the BBC have to go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Is the PL not the BPL anymore? Is there even a sponsor or is it that there is simply so much TV money they don't need it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

City will definitely be up there when all is said and done, but I didn't think much of them yesterday. All this talk about intricate movements etc is a load of rubbish really. They were intricate in the first two thirds of the pitch when no Sunderland player was within 5 yards of them.

Sunderland were happy to allow Manchester City to have as much of the ball as they wanted outside the final third and once City got into the final third they created very little. I can't recall a clear cut chance.

As Bilic so rightly said during the Euros: "don't praise a team for having possession when the opposition doesn't want it."

From a Sunderland point of view, I expected a massacre when I saw our midfield and it's beyond incompetent to be opening a Premier League season with a central midfield of John O'Shea, Jack Rodwell and Lyden Gooch. Failings in the transfer market were also highlighted when Defoe had to go off and there was no senior striker on the bench to replace him. Even if we had had a lump on the bench to hold up the ball when Defoe went off I think we'd have left with a point. That said, there were certainly positives to take. If we could get Kirchhoff, Cattermole and buy M'Vila back and throw them into midfield in place of the aforementioned we'd be ten times more effective. I just pray we can get Kirchhoff fit and keep Defoe fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Chelsea
    Winner: Man Utd
    Champions League spots (2nd, 3rd and 4th, in order): Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal
    Europa League spots (5th, 6th and possibly 7th, in order): Liverpool, Spurs, Everton
    Relegation: Hull, Burnley, Watford

Top Goalscorer: Aguero
    Most Assists: Ozil
    Player of the Year: Ibra
    Young Player of the Year (U-23): Martial

Best Signing: Musa/Ibra
    Biggest Flop: Pogba
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player:
    Breakout Player: Rashford

Surprise Team (Good): Everton
    Surprise Team (Bad): Watford
    First Managerial Casualty: Karanka

Audacious Prediction of the Season: Leicster to win the Champs league ;)

Chelsea
    Winner: Manchester United
    Champions League spots (2nd, 3rd and 4th, in order): Manchester City, Arsenal, Tottenham
    Europa League spots (5th, 6th and possibly 7th, in order): Chelsea, Liverpool, West Ham
    Relegation: Hull, Burnley, Bournemouth

Top Goalscorer: Sergio Aguero
    Most Assists: Mesut Ozil
    Player of the Year: Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    Young Player of the Year (U-23): John Stones

Best Signing: Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    Biggest Flop: Yannick Bolasie- Depending on his transfer to Everton. Failing that, Nolito.
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Dele Alli
    Breakout Player: Kelechi Iheanacho

Surprise Team (Good): Swansea
    Surprise Team (Bad): Bournemouth
    First Managerial Casualty: Alan Pardew

Audacious Prediction of the Season: Sunderland to break into the top 10 in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Is the PL not the BPL anymore? Is there even a sponsor or is it that there is simply so much TV money they don't need it?

Lots of smaller sponsors but no one main sponsor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

It was an interesting start to the season.

Excluding the big teams that have their own threads I thought Hull did really well against Leicester. Rode their luck a little with the missed chances by Vardy but all in all deserved something out of the game

Southampton looked sharp going forward and should never have let Watford back into the game. Tadic looked really good and created a lot of chances.

Delighted to see McLean involved in the goal against Crystal Palace. I do agree with others here though. His best impact is as a sub unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Winner: Manchester City
    Champions League spots (2nd, 3rd and 4th, in order): Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool
    Europa League spots (5th, 6th and possibly 7th, in order): Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester
    Relegation: Hull, Burnley, Watford

Top Goalscorer: Sergio Aguero
    Most Assists: Kevin De Bruyne
    Player of the Year: Sergio Aguero
    Young Player of the Year (U-23): Leroy Sané

Best Signing: N'Golo Kante
    Biggest Flop: Granit Xhaka
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Alexis Sanchez
    Breakout Player: Ruben Loftus Cheek

Surprise Team (Good): Boro
    Surprise Team (Bad): Arsenal/Watford
    First Managerial Casualty: Walter Mazzarri

Audacious Prediction of the Season: Boro to finish in the top half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Caught up on all the highlights. Has there been much football talk in here or is AIG giving analysis on Lineker's horizontal offer on MOTD?

I must be the only person who isn't as big on Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher on 'MNF'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Come on west ham.

Manchester United
    A yellow, harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

GreNoLi wrote: »
    A yellow, harsh.

Nah, it wasn't harsh. It was a poor tackle, no where near the ball. From behind. And also the ref may be thinking the foul was trying to stop the counter attack.
    Definite yellow, doesn't matter what minute it is.
    Silly from kante

Manchester United
    Good start to the match.

Manchester United
    Conte's good value so is Kante for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Chelsea
    Not a penalty, Oscar was more physical in the incident before he went down.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Not a penalty, Oscar was more physical in the incident before he went down.

Oscar got the ball. :rolleyes: Reid clearly pushed Oscar over.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Chelsea
    Johner wrote: »

Oscar went down very easily, I watched it again, not a penalty in my opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Johner wrote: »
    Just no! He pushed it too far ahead, realised he'd lost it and threw himself to the ground. If it was a penalty, the the challenge on Noble beforehand was a free out.

He was clearly pushed over by Reid, his theatrical fall is probably the reason why he didn't get a penalty but he was pushed over.

Really don't like Davie Provan at all as a commentator.

Manchester United
    Hazard looking spritely so far, good effort.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement