Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Most of their back 7 and the understudies to those positions need replacing.

It's crazy that they've gotten into this position with the amount of money they've spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Manchester United
    Chelsea are clearly the best team in this league and will win it anyway, lots of these top teams need another season until they are ready to challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The top-six mini-league

C2OtOsGXEAI-JHE.jpg

Clubs to have taken most points off the top six:

C2OyMKSXEAEpj9m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The top-six mini-league
    C2OtOsGXEAI-JHE.jpg

Number of home games left:
    Liverpool, Man City - 3
    Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs - 2
    Man Utd - 1

Number of away games left:
    Arsenal, Man Utd - 3
    Chelsea, Man City, Spurs - 2
    Liverpool - 1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Is Phil Neville on a wind up about john stones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Johner wrote: »
    Number of home games left:
    Liverpool, Man City - 3
    Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs - 2
    Man Utd - 1

Number of away games left:
    Arsenal, Man Utd - 3
    Chelsea, Man City, Spurs - 2
    Liverpool - 1

Arsenal and United with the most home games played against the rest and the away fixtures are usually harder to get a result from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

ERG89 wrote: »
    Pep is the new Wenger. If he wins he's okay for now but if he loses its time to slate him.
    Their squad is hugely unbalanced mind. They have little or no cover in the centre of midfield, hence Zabaleta & Yaya Toure back in there & Gundogan is very injury prone.

Everybody knew Gundogan was injury prone, it's like buying Sturridge and expecting him to play a full season.

Great player but never going to get a full season out of him, if the management didn't know that at City, I think I need to apply for a new job.

Anyway, delighted for us!(Everton) Really like Davis and Holgate and was chuffed with starting Lineup. No Gueye I was expecting a disaster but alas, we did well.

Can't wait for Palace to smash us now, classic Everton :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Chelsea
    Bonus MNF on sky sports 1 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

The top-six mini-league

C2OtOsGXEAI-JHE.jpg

C2OyMKSXEAEpj9m.jpg

That's a nice alternative league table.

Don't suppose you're a liverpool fan?

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    That's a nice alternative league table.

Don't suppose you're a liverpool fan?

Actually a fair few journalists tweeted it yesterday. Would have thought it would be quite interesting to most seeing as there is such a divide between the top 6 and the rest this season so games between them feel even more important than usual.

There's always one though.

Actually a fair few journalists tweeted it yesterday. Would have thought it would be quite interesting to most seeing as there is such a divide between the top 6 and the rest this season so games between them feel even more important than usual.

There's always one though.

New year, new table.

I doubt you'd have posted if liverpool weren't leading, it probably wouldn't have looked as interesting to you then.

New year, new table.

I doubt you'd have posted if liverpool weren't leading, it probably wouldn't have looked as interesting to you then.

I've seen similar tables for years, even before I started posting on Boards. One of my friends used to to keep one going for years and updated it regularly.

I'm actually quite surprised you've not seen something similar before?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I've seen similar tables for years, even before I started posting on Boards. One of my friends used to to keep one going for years and updated it regularly.

I'm actually quite surprised you've not seen something similar before?

There's a trend developing here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

New year, new table.

Jesus that's a fairly salty reaction to a completely relevant and informative post. Don't know who you support yourself but I can't imagine you've never once made a post that shows your team in a positive light.

In any other league, a table between the top teams in the league would be a huge indicator of finishing positions in May. Don't see what's wrong with a PL version quite frankly.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Jesus that's a fairly salty reaction to a completely relevant and informative post. Don't know who you support yourself but I can't imagine you've never once made a post that shows your team in a positive light.

In any other league, a table between the top teams in the league would be a huge indicator of finishing positions in May. Don't see what's wrong with a PL version quite frankly.

The current premier league table is the only relevant table.

Not one that shows a particular team in a better light. I'm not salty at all, I find it to be quite a funny annual ritual.

• Advertisement

There's a trend developing here :D

What's funny about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

martyos121 wrote: »

Best tell Sky not to report on it :pac:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10730580/liverpool-lead-top-6-mini-league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gavlor only attacking as Utd are bottom of the table and that's where they'll stay unless they improve their form against the teams they need to beat if they have any ambitions to finish any higher than 6th.

Here's another chart to make Utd weep (server down it'll turn up at some point!)

Image1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Gavlor is an Everton supporter ?

New year, new table.

As I said there's always one.

• Advertisement

Good lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    There is always a big team table.. every year.. it's usually a top 4 table though but because the top 6 are so close (and ahead of the rest) it has to be expanded.. really don't see the point in criticising it..

I think it's interesting tbh and it also shows exactly where Liverpool are going wrong.. they can beat the top teams all they want but dropping silly points to the rest of the league is not the way to win championships..

United and Fergie have given teams the blueprint.. beat the rest and then anything taken against rivals is a bonus.. it's why we are so far behind this year.. all those stupid draws at old trafford.

Lucas Hood wrote: »

You're right! Sorry Gavlor (Still explains things to a degree! :p).

astradave wrote: »
    There is always a big team table.. every year.. it's usually a top 4 table though but because the top 6 are so close (and ahead of the rest) it has to be expanded.. really don't see the point in criticising it..

I think it's interesting tbh and it also shows exactly where Liverpool are going wrong.. they can beat the top teams all they want but dropping silly points to the rest of the league is not the way to win championships..

United and Fergie have given teams the blueprint.. beat the rest and then anything taken against rivals is a bonus.. it's why we are so far behind this year.. all those stupid draws at old trafford.

That's always something we've struggled with. Drop silly points to teams we should beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Who just admitted to trolling :pac:

Who just admitted to trolling :pac:

Apologies, my previous post was meant for the fishing forum ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

The top-six mini-league

C2OtOsGXEAI-JHE.jpg

C2OyMKSXEAEpj9m.jpg

That really makes for interesting reading despite what others seem to think about it.

Really strong performances by Liverpool against the top teams but it's results like Bournemouth that will cost them in my opinion before the season is out.

Chelsea have lost 3 of their 6 games to the other "big" teams but their results over the smaller teams means that the perceived bigger games have less relevance to them

Didn't realise Aresenal would be bottom of this table or that Everton would be taking the most points off the "big" teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'd like to see a table with the results against the bottom 14 teams. Chelsea are obviously top of that but I'd like to see how Leicester are getting on in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'd like to see a table with the results against the bottom 14 teams. Chelsea are obviously top of that but I'd like to see how Leicester are getting on in it.

Considering they've 21 points from 21 games, sh!te I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think Chelsea are a point ahead of Arsenal in that table. Don't know about Leicester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

2 of those losses were before they changed system so it'll be interesting how they get on in the second half of the season. Spurs has been historically the hardest ground for Chelsea to go to in the last 6 seasons.

To win the PL you need to be beating nearly all of the bottom 14 and be able to hold your own against the top 6.

Spurs and Liverpool are setup to do well against the bigger teams but IMO struggle against teams who park the bus, due to limited technical ability in some areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Well we are in 7th so logically it would make sense :pac:

Arsenal(3) City(W,D - 4) Draw also with Spurs/United.

No suprise with getting nothing against Liverpool.

We've also played all of the top 6 teams at home so I imagine that makes us look a bit better than other teams. Haven't beaten any away.

Chelsea
    Seems Mike Dean has been demoted to the championship this weekend anyways and he is going to be taking charge of Leeds vs Barnsley..

Will be interesting to see if it's just for the 1 week and if he will be back up for the following PL game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    I had done this (with my predictions after it) for the United thread but may as well stick it in here too.

League Table

2) Spurs - P 21 - Pts 45
    3) Liverpool - P 21 - Pts 45
    4) Arsenal - P 21 - Pts 44
    5) City - P 21 - Pts 42
    6) United - P 21 - Pts 40

Fixtures till the end of Feb

21/22 Jan
    Liverpool Vs Swansea
    Stoke Vs United
    Spurs Vs City
    Arsenal Vs Burnley

31 Jan / 1st Feb
    Sunderland Vs Spurs
    Liverpool Vs Chelsea
    Arsenal vs Watford
    West Ham Vs City
    United Vs Hull

4/5 Feb
    Chelsea Vs Arsenal
    Spurs Vs Boro
    Hull vs Liverpool
    City vs Swansea
    Leicester Vs United

11/13 Feb
    Arsenal Vs Hull
    United Vs Watford
    Liverpool Vs Spurs
    Bournemouth Vs City

26/27 Feb
    Spurs vs Stoke
    City vs United (likely to be rescheduled)
    Leicester vs Liverpool (could be rescheduled)
    Southampton Vs Arsenal (could be rescheduled)

Chelsea
    Jayop wrote: »

26/27 Feb
    Spurs vs Stoke
    City vs United (likely to be rescheduled)
    Leicester vs Liverpool (could be rescheduled)
    Southampton Vs Arsenal

This could be rescheduled also..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    astradave wrote: »
    This could be rescheduled also..

Of course! Bad miss from me.

One of those two games will have to be.

So then Manchester Utd have appointed an Anti-terrorism tzar. I can't help but wonder if this will actually encourage low grade nutters (obviously Islamic State etc would either be planning something or not for rather more strategic reasons).

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38661302

Deloitte Football Money League Table

Rank +/- Team 2015/16 Revenue (£m)

1. +2 Manchester United 515.3
    2. = Barcelona 463.8
    3. -2 Real Madrid 463.8
    4. ** Bayern Munich 442.7
    5. ** Manchester City 392.6
    6. -2 Paris Saint-Germain 389.6
    7. = Arsenal 350.4
    8. = Chelsea 334.6
    9. = Liverpool 302
    10. = Juventus 255.1

687474703a2f2f696d672e736b7973706f7274732e636f6d2f31372f30312f4f74686572732f333837323836362e6a7067

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Can spurs lay down a marker at the etihad like leicester did last season?

• Chelsea
    GreNoLi wrote: »
    Can spurs lay down a marker at the etihad like leicester did last season?

It could be a really bad day for Pep
    Pressures on big time

No way that defense will hold out an on fire Dele Alli and Kane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Manchester United
    That is a ridiculously attacking lineup from City, it's certainly risky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Moyes surely the next manager to go? Big sam having an awful start at palace, what shame.....

When is the last time Watford won a game?
    Feels like months but I'm probably wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    Delight Big Sam with still no win I really hope he gets relegated

Hugo Bravo

Soton beating Leicester City 2-0 at HT, pitiful defending of their title (and goal)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

At what point do Leicester consider sacking Ranieri? Seems crazy the year after they won the league, but if they were to look like going down...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Still fine in the CL don't forget, if they can stay in that he's fine Seville are a weaker team so a good draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Still fine in the CL don't forget, if they can stay in that he's fine Seville are a weaker team so a good draw

Good one.

They're actually ahead of Barcelona in La Liga right now and they stopped Real Madrid's unbeaten run last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Good one.

They're actually ahead of Barcelona in La Liga right now and they stopped Real Madrid's unbeaten run last week.

And aren't bad at the aul european knockout stages tay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Good man, Ted.

table%2B4.PNG

oh and that table doesn't take into account their 3 points from yesterday.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement