Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Coraline Bald Thanksgiving

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Haven't gotten to really keep up with news this week, but what are they on about on SS1? (Just stuck it on now). Are the players trying to overthow Ranieri?

rumblings are some of the players have got too big for their boots, falling out with Raneiri (Kasper Schimechel was one of the players I heard of)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Arsenal fans have taken a lot over the last decade but selling their best player to United or Chelsea would surely be the tipping point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Arsenal fans have taken a lot over the last decade but selling their best player to United or Chelsea would surely be the tipping point.

Van Persie says hi.As does Ashley Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

....again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

City playing 3-2-5 formation. Should win 7-4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea

RVP?

I would also imagine Sanchez may want a change. He has cut a very frustrated figure at times this season

rumblings are some of the players have got too big for their boots, falling out with Raneiri (Kasper Schimechel was one of the players I heard of)

Maybe Ranieri has got a bit too big for his boots also. What Leicester achieved last year was a finely tuned miracle, it is not an example of standard practice by Ranieri (and I am a fan of Ranieri)

The fans have been coming around to the idea that he may not be the man to bring them forward since November, you can see that by digging through their fan forums.
    It reminds me of his time at Chelsea, he was adored by the fans and had done some great stuff but I think, deep down, fans and players alike knew that to take them to the next step, they had to make a change. Media gave them slack at the time but it was a necessary evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Chelsea
    I would have more hope for Swansea if Bravo was in goal.

Chelsea
    Lot of empty sears at the Etihad.

For a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Manchester United
    eh i dunno wrote: »
    City playing 3-2-5 formation. Should win 7-4

More like a 1-2-2-4-1

1 nil. Don't think 7 is out of the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

His intelligence for a young fella is frightening. That's a very well taken goal.

I will give it 3 years before Jesus is at the Bernabeu. Seems the natural successor to Ronaldo if he is as good as many speculate

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Chelsea
    Mike Dean as popular as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

City really should be about 8-0 up.

They've been careless in the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Manchester United
    Off side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    Keeper defo delayed his dive until he was sure where it was going so should have been called off I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

GavRedKing wrote: »
    RVP?

I mistakenly thought RVP was a couple of years older when he signed for some reason which would kind of make sense

Again so

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Off side?
    hope so, missed it, but would make it all the more sweeter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    That's why Chelsea will walk the league.

The other 5 teams in the top 6 just can't put the smaller teams away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    Watching the gaa but flicked to the city game at half time. This Jesus lad looks like a future worldie.

I mistakenly thought RVP was a couple of years older when he signed for some reason which would kind of make sense

Again so

Not to mention Toure, Nasri, Clichy, Adebayour, and Cesc wanted to return but Wenger wouldn't take him back and he went to Chelsea.

And, of course, all the players at their peak they sold to European rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

That's why Chelsea will walk the league.

The other 5 teams in the top 6 just can't put the smaller teams away.

No shortage of firepower. They should be demolishing teams if they're getting into the kinds of positions they are today.

There's been something arrogant about how City have played today. It was too easy for them and they haven't been switched on when playing the final ball or in their finishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    lol

Jesus Saves.

F off. Great positional play all the same

Cue all the saviour posts and headlines. What a special player.

The Jesus "jokes" are already getting tiresome!

Jesus and Aguero will make the headlines obviously enough but Leroy Sane was unreal again today. One of the best dribblers to watch. He's playing out of his skin lately. Unlucky not to score as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Yep Sane and Jesus are genuinely exciting, future looks bright for City. Still not sure where that mid-season slump came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Burial. wrote: »
    Jesus and Aguero will make the headlines obviously enough but Leroy Sane was unreal again today. One of the best dribblers to watch. He's playing out of his skin lately. Unlucky not to score as well.
    Agreed. He allows us to spread the game, allowing more room in the central areas for Dave and Kev (though I thought Kev was mediocre today). The ame goe for Raheem on the other flank. And Sterling can't win with refs, can he? He didn't go down against Spurs and was denied a blatant penalty (plus a red card for Walker). Today, he' booked for a dive, which it clearly wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Manchester United
    Yep Sane and Jesus are genuinely exciting, future looks bright for City. Still not sure where that mid-season slump came from.

Look at the average age of that front 3. Plus Jesus wasn't there at the start of the season. And even more important than those things is that these kind of projects dont come together instantly. It takes time, anyone expecting the finished product instantly has clearly not being paying attention to Guardiola's methods or City's recruitment policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

So from this 3rd link there it is saying:

Liverpool allow the least shots per match of all teams in the league

and

Of the shots per match allowed, only those allowed by West Ham, Bournemouth and Swansea are of a higher chance quality than the ones allowed by Liverpool

Am I reading that right?

So we don't allow many, but the ones we do are generally high quality chances. On the surface that makes it look like we're unlucky that the chances we do allow are quality chances....however to me that is due to our style of play - if we have the majority of the possession in the majority of matches we won't allow as many chances. But because of our possession dominance, the chances we do create are generally higher quality because of the position of our players higher up the pitch.

I think this shows that there is a case for us allowing more chances but of lower quality (forcing teams to shoot from distance because they can't break us down). If you look at the other clubs who have few chances created, they are all lower quality than us - Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Southampton, Everton. And those are all the clubs we traditionally want to be competing with.

High possession is great, but our real risk is the likelihood of possession turnover resulting in a quality chance created. In order to achieve that I can only see 1 obvious solution: sign a bad ass DM

(Edit: written from Liverpool fan perspective if not obvious!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I have only just discovered that Arsenal Fan TV exists.... Makes those Monday blues melt away.

Chelsea
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I have only just discovered that Arsenal Fan TV exists.... Makes those Monday blues melt away.

You could fill the humour thread with Troopz rants alone.

• Advertisement

• Chelsea
    You could fill the humour thread with Troopz Blud/Fam rants alone.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

You could fill the humour thread with Troopz rants alone.

"Blud"
    "Fam"

I honestly don't know what he's talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's entertaining and funny at first, but after a while it becomes depressing. Those men have so much anger in them, it can't be good.

Chelsea
    "Blud"
    "Fam"

I honestly don't know what he's talking about.

Its usually the same sentence repeat wioth alternating endings of Blud or Fam.

E.G

Where was Welbeck today Blud, I ask you, why wasnt Welbeck starting fam?

Troopz is almost a pardoy at this stage, if he talks enough sh*te he'll get a feature on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Arghus wrote: »
    It's entertaining and funny at first, but after a while it becomes depressing. Those men have so much anger in them, it can't be good.

Over a bunch of millionaires who couldn't give a **** about what you think, its very sad.

• Advertisement

It is fair to say it is looking very likely Sergio won't be at the Etihad next season

http://http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0206/850563-aguero-says-city-future/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Tottenham

Can't stand AFTV, but I'm seeing on twitter that Gary Neville has offered to be interviewed on AFTV in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It is fair to say it is looking very likely Sergio won't be at the Etihad next season

http://http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0206/850563-aguero-says-city-future/

He's far too good to be on the bench.

It'll be interesting to see where he might end up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's far too good to be on the bench.

It'll be interesting to see where he might end up.

PSG are the first name out of the hat, they need a new striker since Zlatan left and have the money to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

rob316 wrote: »
    PSG are the first name out of the hat, they need a new striker since Zlatan left and have the money to make it happen.

Cavani has 28 goals in 28 games so I don't see the real need of a striker still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

rob316 wrote: »

Aren't a huge number of clubs he can go to as most of the massive clubs that could afford him and that's he'd want to go to already have a main striker and he's at a bad age to be moving as nobody is going to want to spend much money on a 29 year old striker and City probably won't want to let him go cheaply.

Chelsea
    I'd love Aguero at Chelsea but I'd prefer Sanchez.

I cant see either being sold to any of their EPL rivals though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What exactly has Aguero done to warrant being sold? I bet on him to be top scorer so I'm as pissed off with him as most city fans would be for getting needleslly banned for 7 games this season, and he's been off form since he's come back from his second ban. But that combined with a couple of good games from a 19 year old and now he's on his way out? Doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

it kinda looks like to me sergio wants out of city doesnt look like hes up for the games to me.

i dont know if it he dosnt like or want to play for pep or his style or he just wants to move. he is reaching the age a lot of south Americans want to head for the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

IMO him being on the bench comes down to his attitude in training. He is notoriously bad in training, puts in minimal effort perhaps in an effort to stop himself getting injured. He's usually a different player on game day but Pep emphasizes work on the training field so much that I don't think Aguero will maintain a starting position without applying himself in training.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement