Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    A sign of the times when Crystal Palace are paying Christian Benteke £120,000 a week!! I'd love to know what the other players in the squad are earning.

Its probably what Liverpool were playing him and he wasnt going to take a pay cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

rob316 wrote: »
    Ozil is massively underpaid in comparison and by extension Alexis Sanchez

Yeah, poor bugger. I saw him in Aldi the other day trying to ration his fruit and veg shopping budget!

B9VzLIZIQAE1_fS.jpg

Chelsea
    Ozil is massively underpaid in comparison and by extension Alexis Sanchez

Theyve a year and a bit left on their deals so I'd expect 1 or both will leave in the summer if Arsenal dont make top 4 and the club sticks with Wenger.

You would wonder where both would go, though? Would Sanchez return to Barca, likewise would Ozil return to Madrid? And surely neither would go to the respective opponents?

Likewise, would either of them go to City or Chelsea? Surely not? Likewise any other English club.

Ozil to Munich, Sanchez to Juventus perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

We (Everton) really need to double Lukaku's wage ASAP when you see what he earns compared to some on that list.

Chelsea
    You would wonder where both would go, though? Would Sanchez return to Barca, likewise would Ozil return to Madrid? And surely neither would go to the respective opponents?

Likewise, would either of them go to City or Chelsea? Surely not? Likewise any other English club.

Ozil to Munich, Sanchez to Juventus perhaps?

Possibily, I cant see either being sold to English clubs anyway, even if they would have several suitors each.

Munich might want Sanchez, Costa is apparently moaning about his contract and it hasnt gone done well at Munich.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    We (Everton) really need to double Lukaku's wage ASAP when you see what he earns compared to some on that list.

Apparently he is getting his new contract to bolster his sale fee but tbh you would be better off saving your wages for a player that will be with you next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Tottenham
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Possibily, I cant see either being sold to English clubs anyway, even if they would have several suitors each.

Munich might want Sanchez, Costa is apparently moaning about his contract and it hasnt gone done well at Munich.

Arsenal will offer more wages than Bayern Munich will and he would be the main man at Arsenal, which he wouldn't be at Bayern. Obviously he's more likely to win silverware at Bayern, but sure it was the same at Barcelona and he left.

Unfortunately I do think Sanchez is more likely to leave at the end of the season, but I don't think anyone bar rival English clubs will be able to match the salary that Arsenal will offer him. In my assumption I'm assuming Real Madrid and Barcelona aren't a potential suitor. So maybe it's not clear cut yet that he will be leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ozil is massively underpaid in comparison.

Some weeks that is very true other weeks he might as well stay in Aldi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sanchez and Cavani might work out pretty well. PSG should have issue coughing up the wage demand either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Chelsea
    Hull doing their best to let arsenal score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    Unearthly wrote: »
    Hull doing their best to let arsenal score

And arsenal trying to return the favor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Bad miss from Sanchez, was easier to score!

Chelsea
    klose wrote: »
    Bad miss from Sanchez, was easier to score!

A nice bit off side too. Officiating has gone to the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Ozil with only 4 assists so far this season when he had 16 at the same stage last year.Some fall off in production when really he should be at the age where he's pushing on and going to the very top echelon of players in the world.

Chelsea
    Absolute shocker to allow that goal to stand.

Chelsea
    Like that last camera showed the linesman (same one that didn't seem the clear offside before) looking right at the hand ball.

Do they not know the rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Would that be a foul elsewhere on the pitch? Would it have been enough that his hand was raised a bit?

If it's ball to hand I'd have no problem it not being a goal but do the rules make an allowance for chalking off goals that are ball to hand but wouldn't otherwise be given as a foul?

Chelsea
    Gbear wrote: »
    Would that be a foul elsewhere on the pitch? Would it have been enough that his hand was raised a bit?

If it's ball to hand I'd have no problem it not being a goal but do the rules make an allowance for chalking off goals that are ball to hand but wouldn't otherwise be given as a foul?

Ball to hand isn't a thing anymore.

The hand was in an unnatural position and the goal clearly shouldn't have stood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    I think your hands have to be in a natural position too.. the way alexis hands where was not a natural position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Same old jammy arsenal! Sanchez fist's the ball into the net the ref was in an awful position but I would expect the linesman to spot such a obvious handball

davycc wrote: »
    Same old jammy arsenal! Sanchez fist's the ball into the net the ref was in an awful position but I would expect the linesman to spot such a obvious handball

"Jammy arsenal"? Not an Arsenal fan but I wouldn't associate that word with them to be honest?

Chelsea
    "Jammy arsenal"? Not an Arsenal fan but I wouldn't associate that word with them to be honest?

He's a spurs fan so I reckon it's to do with finishing above them all the time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Liverpool

You see, he's a spurs fan...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Thierry Henry explaining deliberate/not deliberate handball, priceless

• Advertisement

OK, on reflection tbh they actually have had a couple of results this season that their performances shouldn't have entitled them to!
    But in general over the years they have had some bad luck along the way. Injuries especially

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Tottenham
    It wasn't a deliberate handball ffs and his hand was in a natural position as he was stretching out his body to get the ball. The goal probably should have been disallowed as the goal wouldn't have been scored had it not hit the hand, but it wasn't deliberate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Carpentry wrote: »
    Thierry Henry explaining deliberate/not deliberate handball, priceless

He is such a poor pundit. He never makes good points or has anything interesting to say.

enzo roco wrote: »
    He is such a poor pundit. He never makes good points or has anything interesting to say.

That's another thing, but he nearly choked when asked about the handball:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

It wasn't a deliberate handball ffs and his hand was in a natural position as he was stretching out his body to get the ball. The goal probably should have been disallowed as the goal wouldn't have been scored had it not hit the hand, but it wasn't deliberate.

Don't think anybody is saying it was deliberate, just that it shouldn't have stood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Are Hull ever off the telly these days? Sick of looking at them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The whole 'has to be deliberate' rule is a strange one really because in strict terms there would be very few penalties given for deliberate handball. Most players won't deliberately go to actually handle the ball in the box, sure it happens, but it's mostly in a blocking situation where they may not be even looking at the ball or jumping for a header and it hits their hand etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Walcott having an attack of small man syndrome there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Manchester United
    What is he at.

thats a good refereeing there, Clattenburg hasn't mistaken gibbs whith oxlade-chamberlain when showing a yellow:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Big hint of last man there

Sanchez is today man of many professions : football, volleyball, diving, running circles

Chelsea
    What was the keeper at :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hard luck on Hull. Thought they deserved a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Hull look so well drilled and dangerous on the counter, not the result the wanted but if they keep going the way the last month has I think they'll be safe enough come may. Silva has done well there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Tough result for hull, new manager has made a big difference for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Chelsea
    duffman13 wrote: »
    Hull look so well drilled and dangerous on the counter, not the result the wanted but if they keep going the way the last month has I think they'll be safe enough come may. Silva has done well there

Yes they aren't a defend for their lifes type team. I think they are certs to survive, and then build for mid table next year

Chelsea
    So impressed by Hull. This manager seem to know his stuff.

Patronising Hull seems to be the new football hipster thing!

I must join the crew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

"Mark Clattenburg apologies to the Hull team at halftime for Sanchez first goal as he admitted it was a handball"

Christ

Chelsea
    Patronising Hull seems to be the new football hipster thing!

I must join the crew!

How's it patronizing to say they've improved massively? Since this guy took over they've beat united and Liverpool, drew with United and ran arsenal and Chelsea close.

Chelsea
    I want Hull to survive basically to stick it to the xenophobia Merson and the Sky crew were spouting about Silva getting the job over an English man.

Look how well thats worked out Palace.

Jayop wrote: »
    How's it patronizing to say they've improved massively? Since this guy took over they've beat united and Liverpool, drew with United and ran arsenal and Chelsea close.

They have improved but everyone keeps echoing that EXACT same point? We get it!
    O am merely saying that some of the talk from pundits etc would make you believe Hull are a non league team with no resources!

United dominated them, Liverpool were awful, ditto Arsenal today and it was a typical Chelsea performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Gabbiadini settling into premier league well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Well deserved goal from little Mata

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement