Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

All the more reason he may go arguably! Long contract = guaranteed monster fee.
    They'd also be guaranteed a huge transfer fee in the summer of 2019 which would be a more likely time for him to go if he ever does go. Spurs won't cash in when they're building a team capable of challenging for the league. Kane also comes across as a very mature, fairly intelligent guy. Raheem Sterling he is not.

All the more reason he may go arguably! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Maybe when he was 11 but has been at Spurs since he was 13.

So maybe not Spurs through and through then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

KingdomYid wrote: »
    My prediction is that he will stay and become the clubs all time leading goalscorer as he is Spurs through and through :)

Through & through. he's done things most Tottenham fans dream of, celebrating a league won at white hart lane

2577B07C00000578-0-image-a-24_1423603388145.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Looks a bit like Joffrey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭chicorytip

batistuta9 wrote:
    Through & through. he's done things most Tottenham fans dream of, celebrating a league won at white hart lane

They'll need to get the away form sorted. Pocchettino has yet to prove himself as a manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Manchester United
    chicorytip wrote: »
    They'll need to get the away form sorted. Pocchettino has yet to prove himself as a manager.

That comment is all sorts of wrong. He's the manager of one of the biggest clubs in England, he isn't the under 13B coach of your local club. He's more than proved himself as a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Kane and Nasri. Childhood friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

emmetkenny wrote: »
    So maybe not Spurs through and through then ;)

I've always found that chant really really cringe-worthy because you just know he's going to leave for an even bigger club in a couple of years added to the fact that he was at Arsenal for a time so isn't even Spurs through and through at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Chelsea
    I do not think Levy will sell to any Premier League club in the near future especially rivals for Top 4 spot. He refused Modric sale to Chelsea in the past.

I do acknowledge that he might consider sale for mouth watering price, not sure how much, if Pogba went for £86 millions (not sure exact figure) then he will likely to charge 30-40% on top of that due to number of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That comment is all sorts of wrong. He's the manager of one of the biggest clubs in England, he isn't the under 13B coach of your local club. He's more than proved himself as a manager.

His European record is less than stellar though, he'd want to change that fairly soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

His European record is less than stellar though, he'd want to change that fairly soon.

He has like what, 2 seasons of european football? Pochetino has proved so far hes a quality manager.

Manchester United

Sure, and I'm not saying he's a perfect manager, simply that the comment I quoted sounded like the poster was describing him as some kind of amateur. You get to the level of coaching he is at, it's an elite level and I do think that maybe football managers aren't given the respect they warrant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    I think Spurs are doing well, theyve arguably got the 5th best squad out of the top 6 clubs and the 6th best manager so to be where they are is good going.

Theyre ability to fold throughout the years is spectacular and its not something new, they done it last year and this year in the UCL and Europa League too, theyre a very naive team in that regard but theyre going the right way, the only problem is the competition is insanely good, last year was there best chance of a league title and they that potential title challenge away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Sure, and I'm not saying he's a perfect manager, simply that the comment I quoted sounded like the poster was describing him as some kind of amateur. You get to the level of coaching he is at, it's an elite level and I do think that maybe football managers aren't given the respect they warrant.

Sure. A manager who won Treble and then a league title was getting so much **** by some special fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Very,very poor Premier League this season. Spurs performances in Europe highlight this. Decent side but have no world class players & are 2nd in the league.

The technical level in the league is way behind La Liga & the Bundesliga. Very few sides seem to value trying to keep possession & defending is poor as well.
    Long term sides like Burnley in particular will be found out like Leicester were this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

MD1990 wrote: »
    Very,very poor Premier League this season. Spurs performances in Europe highlight this. Decent side but have no world class players & are 2nd in the league.

The technical level in the league is way behind La Liga & the Bundesliga. Very few sides seem to value trying to keep possession & defending is poor as well.
    Long term sides like Burnley in particular will be found out like Leicester were this season.

been this way for the last 4 or 5 seasons the quality is geting less and less.

Manchester United
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Sure. A manager who won Treble and then a league title was getting so much **** by some special fans.

Am I saying that managers are immune from criticism? Of course not. Am I saying managers should have jobs for life at 1 club? No, that's ludicrous. What I am saying is that some of the critcisms I see of managers, or managerial decisions, are so wildly uninformed and yet they may get traction with others. What I am saying is that when you have people (journalists and pundits included) questioning things that they don't really understand but influencing masses of people, inevitably you've got a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    I love watching Liverpool imploding ha ha ha ha

2 nil to little Leicester lol they should be 4 up already

Manchester United
    United invested heavily in the late 90s in their brand, structure and commercial images and are reaping the rewards now.

They are a well run company and do not have a billion dollar financier to bankroll everything. I don't see anything wrong with what they do.

That says enough. Football should still be sport

That says enough. Football should still be sport

Soccer is the sport, Man Utd are a company.

• Advertisement

A company that has a soccer team that plays the sport of football. These sort of statements don't make you a better football fan.

I think I misinterpreted what you were saying there, thought it was a go at United fans, apologies!

A company that has a soccer team that plays the sport of football

That's what my train of thought was :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Chelsea

RB Leipzig are 2nd in the Bundesliga, 8 points ahead of Dortmund. What a stupid post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Chelsea

They're a football club, like every other professional football club.

Manchester United
    Klopp out, raneri in on a free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Aren't they playing home league games in Wembley next season too.
    Could be an entire season of spursy hilarity

Manchester United
    Liverpool managing to out bottle spurs in the race for 2 nd..
    Excellent long may it continue ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

At least liverpool fans can take solace from the fact that they're doing well against the rest of the top 6......

Chelsea
    where are the tables showing the % chances of teams finishing positions gone?

• Advertisement

They're a football club, like every other professional football club.

Man Utd technically isn't a club though.

It's not Like Bayern Munich,Barcelona,Real Madrid etc.

They're on the stock exchange anyone with enough money can buy them.

Chapman, Hamann and Keown all on Match of the Day, all need a shave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

There must be a 'league winners' curse.

Chelsea won it 2 seasons ago and had a dreadful season last season. Leicester won it last season and have had a dreadful season so far. Liverpool won it in November and haven't lived up to expectations either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The league as a whole? Or Just the elite teams? But even at that Barca and Real prop up the table business as usual Barca were humbled by PSG in Europe.

A late equalizer to take the game to ET is what it took from having no side from Spain in the Europa League last 16 yet there is 3 Belgian sides there. That side Celta Vigo you'll find are more favourites to win the competition than either 2 German clubs left this certainly doesn't suggest way behind at all. In fact those sides sit 10th and 12th in the Budesliga so tis no wonder.

On the possession point Sevilla personally annoyed me there recently in the CL absolutely muck football at 1 nil up passing around in their own half, Leicester were poor Sevilla got the second and went back to that Leicester should have been finished off that night but that side showed no urgency to put a bigger gap between them no killer instinct whatsoever, ball was robbed led to Vardy goal Leicester have more chance than Arsenal of making next stage etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    Liamalone wrote: »
    There must be a 'league winners' curse.

Chelsea won it 2 seasons ago and had a dreadful season last season. Leicester won it last season and have had a dreadful season so far. Liverpool won it in November and haven't lived up to expectations either.

In fairness add United winning it a few years ago and hiring moyes straight after.

Chelsea
    Nobody has retained the league since Utd done it back in 2006/07 -2008/09 and won 3 on the spin.

Its a really difficult league to win and its nearly impossible to retain.

Those that make it the most competitive league in the world?

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Nobody has retained the league since Utd done it back in 2006/07 -2008/09 and won 3 on the spin.

It's not that difficult to retain when there has been a genuine great team in it.The EPL has lacked a great team since Ferguson's last great team at Man Utd.The results in Europe this decade show that the league hasn't been as good as it was up until around 2011.

Am i the only who thought that Leicester former head of scouting and recruitment Steve Walsh who is now at Everton was the same Steve Walsh that used to play for Leicester in the 90's?

Best PL winning teams since 1992/1993 in my opinion

5/4. Manchester United 1998/99
    5/4. Manchester City 2011/12:
    3. Chelsea 2004/05
    2. Arsenal 2003/04
    1. Manchester United 2007/08

City one, I guess could be replaced by Arsenal 97/98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Best PL winning teams since 1992/1993 in my opinion

5/4. Manchester United 1998/99
    5/4. Manchester City 2011/12:
    3. Chelsea 2004/05
    2. Arsenal 2003/04
    1. Manchester United 2007/08

City one, I guess could be replaced by Arsenal 97/98

Arsenal 01/02 was better than 97/98 for me.

Arsenal 01/02 was better than 97/98 for me.

Yeah, arguably, there was just something about that squad I liked, the mixture of tough home based players and the flair of Europe, you don't see that sort of squad, especially, first 11's anymore. Then again, the 01/02 team had a similar spine as well. I think I was also at the age of premier league sticker albums so that had an influence on my fascination with certain squads!!

• Advertisement

The Chelsea team of 04/05 were a really great TEAM and they still hold the record I believe for most points,goal difference and fewest goals conceded.That was simply a great all round team effort from Chelsea that year.

Robben, Duff/Cole (Joe) and Drogba were great to watch!And Makelele and Essien were just beasts

formation.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

GavRedKing wrote: »

In the world? I'd say it's not even the most competitive in England. The Championship is a terrific league to watch for competition and the prize is arguably greater

Chelsea
    What's enough points for 4th place going to be? It's hard to call but I've gone back to 2011 and the most a 5th placed team have had was 72 points so you'd assume anything over that should be enough.

Last year City got it with 66 points which was 19 points in the last 12 games. I really don't that 19 points would be enough for Arsenal who are in 4th right now this year on 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Jayop wrote: »
    What's enough points for 4th place going to be? It's hard to call but I've gone back to 2011 and the most a 5th placed team have had was 72 points so you'd assume anything over that should be enough.

Last year City got it with 66 points which was 19 points in the last 12 games. I really don't that 19 points would be enough for Arsenal who are in 4th right now this year on 50.

I think 73 pts could be needed this year. Close to two pts a game.

Chelsea

Given all the top 6 have to play another 2 or 3 top 6 side side its hard to call.

I'd reckon anything from 69-72pts though.

Chelsea
    What's the route to 73 points then for all the teams in doubt?

United 48 points - need 25 points from 13 games or 1.92 ppg. We've been on exactly 1.92 so far this yea.

Teams we should beat...(potential 21 points)
    Bournemouth, Boro, WBA, Sunderland, Burnley, Swansea, Palace

Tough Aways but should win...(potential 6 points)
    Southampton, Everton,

Games against teams above us...
    Chelsea A, City A, Arsenal A, Spurs H

So even ignoring the 4 really hard games we can pick up 27 points and be on 75 points just by winning the games we should be winning. Of course we'll drop some points in those games. 2 draws for argument sake going by our form. That leaves us on 71 points. Personally I always feel United will win against Spurs in Old Trafford and get a draw at Arsenal. That's us back to 75 points. Let City and Chelsea take their wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

What's the route to 73 points then for all the teams in doubt?

Tough Aways but should win...(potential 6 points)
    Southampton, Everton,

Should win? Could win but probably won't I would think, both sides are good at home, 4pts max imo

the battle for fourth should be a cracker this year, any of the top six could find themselves in fourth, title is Chelsea's I think.

Chelsea
    Liverpool 49 points. Need 24 points from 12 games or 2 ppg. They've hit 1.88 all season.

Teams they should beat...(potential 18 points)
    Burnley, Bournemouth, WBA, Palace, Watford, Boro

Tough games but should win...(potential 12 points)
    Everton, Stoke, Southampton, West Ham,

Games against teams above them...
    Arsenal H, City A,

Win those 6 handy looking games, that's them on 67 points. You'd expect them to get at least 6 from the other 12 on offer and I think a draw against Arsenal. That's Liverpool on 73 points. However like United You would assume 1/2 draws from the teams they should be beating.

Liverpool 71 points.

Chelsea
    Liamalone wrote: »
    Should win? Could win but probably won't I would think, both sides are good at home, 4pts max imo

the battle for fourth should be a cracker this year any of the top six could find themselves in fourth, title is Chelsea's I think.

I accounted for exactly that in the paragraph at the bottom. Between those games and the ones we should really be winning I'd expect 2 draws at least.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement