Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Jayop wrote: »
    I accounted for exactly that in the paragraph at the bottom. Between those games and the ones we should really be winning I'd expect 2 draws at least.

Fairy muff lol, as my odd betting foray proves, I'm awful at predicting results so don't pay any heed to my thoughts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    Liamalone wrote: »
    Fairy muff lol, as my odd betting foray proves, I'm awful at predicting results so don't pay any heed to my thoughts :D

Same man. I do this stuff all the time in the United thread and I don't think I've got 3 games in a row right all season.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I hate these little "debates". ! They are relevant enough for the relegation battle or even a top 2 battle but when there are, (with Chelsea excluded) 5 teams with only a few points between them battling for 3 places it is far too complicated with 13/12 games to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

What's the route to 73 points then for all the teams in doubt?

United 48 points - need 25 points from 13 games or 1.92 ppg. We've been on exactly 1.92 so far this yea.

Teams we should beat...(potential 21 points)
    Bournemouth, Boro, WBA, Sunderland, Burnley, Swansea, Palace

Tough Aways but should win...(potential 6 points)
    Southampton, Everton,

Games against teams above us...
    Chelsea A, City A, Arsenal A, Spurs H

So even ignoring the 4 really hard games we can pick up 27 points and be on 75 points just by winning the games we should be winning. Of course we'll drop some points in those games. 2 draws for argument sake going by our form. That leaves us on 71 points. Personally I always feel United will win against Spurs in Old Trafford and get a draw at Arsenal. That's us back to 75 points. Let City and Chelsea take their wins.

Spurs is away and Chelsea is at home.

Chelsea
    Arsenal 50 points. Need 23 points from 13 games or 1.76 ppg. They've hit 1.92 all season.

Teams they should beat...(potential 15 points)
    WBA, West Ham, Palace, Boro, Sunderland,

Tough games but should win...(potential 12 points)
    Stoke A, Everton H, Leicester H, Southampton

Games against teams above (around) them...
    Liverpool A, City H, Spurs A, United H,

Win those 5 handy looking games, that's them on 65 points. You'd expect them to get at least 9 from the other 12 on offer and I think a draw against Liverpool. That's Arsenal on 75 points. However like the others You would assume 1/2 draws from the teams they should be beating. Give them 71 points with City, Spurs and United to play. I fully expect the Untied game to be a draw so that's 72. A win and a loss in the others.

Arsenal 75 points.

Chelsea
    Spurs is away and Chelsea is at home.

Hmm, then maybe between 2 and 4 points from those instead.

Chelsea
    City 52 points. Need 21 points from 13 games or 1.62 ppg. They've hit 2.08 all season.

Teams they should beat...(potential 21 points)
    Sunderland, Stoke, Hull, WBA, Boro, Palace, Watford

Tough games but should win...(potential 6 points)
    Southampton A, Leicester H,

Liverpool H, Arsenal A, Chelsea A, United H

Win those 7 handy looking games, that's them on 73 points. You'd expect them to get at least 3 from the other 6 on offer. That's City already on 76 points, as above stick two of those as draws and you have City on 72 with the 4 big games to play. I think Chelsea will beat them, United might get a draw but I have them down to win the other two. That would be them on 79 points.

City 79 points.

Chelsea
    Spurs 53 points. Need 20 points from 12 games or 1.66 ppg. They've hit 2.04 all season.

Teams they should beat...(potential 15 points)
    Palace, Swansea, Watford, Bournmouth, Hull/

Tough games but should win...(potential 15 points)
    Everton H, Southampton H, Burnley A, Leicester A, West Ham A,

Arsenal H, United H,

Win those 5 handy looking games, that's them on 68 points. You'd expect them to get at least 9 from the other 15 on offer. That's Spurs up to 77 points, take away 2 draws and you have them on 73. They may get 3 from the Arsenal/United pair but getting none is as likely. Give them the three.

Spurs 76 points.

Chelsea
    So after all that...

2nd - City 79 points
    3rd - Spurs 76 points.
    4th/5th - United and Arsenal on 75 points
    6th - Liverpool 71 points.

edit: A lot of effort there to still not even be able to guess who will get 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

When you working out Evertons final points tally?

A lot of effort for something pointless (excuse the pun!)

As I said earlier, these prediction stuff with over 1/3 of the season to go is just an arbitrary exercise in the Premier League!

No offence!!

Chelsea
    A lot of effort for something pointless (excuse the pun!)

As I said earlier, these prediction stuff with over 1/3 of the season to go is just an arbitrary exercise in the Premier League!

No offence!!

I enjoy doing it and I know it's something that even the managers do when they are targeting certain games and trying to prioritize matches. A lot of people post an awful lot of pointless crap on here so you'll be a busy bunny of you're determined to tell everyone who does something you feel is pointless that it is.

Chelsea
    eh i dunno wrote: »
    When you working out Evertons final points tally?

If United and Arsenal get the 75 as I predicted then Everton would need 31 points from 12 games. I suppose they could do that if they won 10, drew 1 and lost 1.

Could happen I suppose. ;)

I enjoy doing it and I know it's something that even the managers do when they are targeting certain games and trying to prioritize matches. A lot of people post an awful lot of pointless crap on here so you'll be a busy bunny of you're determined to tell everyone who does something you feel is pointless that it is.

Key Words on my post: "No offence"!!

Chelsea
    There was none taken I can assure you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

City 52 points. Need 21 points from 13 games or 1.62 ppg. They've hit 2.08 all season.

Teams they should beat...(potential 21 points)
    Sunderland, Stoke, Hull, WBA, Boro, Palace, Watford

Tough games but should win...(potential 6 points)
    Southampton A, Leicester H,

Liverpool H, Arsenal A, Chelsea A, United H

Win those 7 handy looking games, that's them on 73 points. You'd expect them to get at least 3 from the other 6 on offer. That's City already on 76 points, as above stick two of those as draws and you have City on 72 with the 4 big games to play. I think Chelsea will beat them, United might get a draw but I have them down to win the other two. That would be them on 79 points.

City 79 points.
    After the ****ty autumn and early winter we had, I'll take that. I'm heading over for the Hull game, so I'm hoping that doesn't jinx that one!

Fair play on the analysis jayop. A couple of things you have Burnley away as a difficult game for spurs but not for utd. You also have given utd maximum points from the semi difficult games but taken points off all the others for these games. Personally I think spurs are a guarantee for top 4 they have a great remaining fixture list and bar an injury to Kane I can't see them missing out. I think the other 2 spots are between the remaining 4. Liverpool have the easiest fixture list on paper 7 at home and 5 away and only 2 games against top 6 teams. However they are in poor form. 4 home games in the next 5 will be crucial any less than 9 pts from those and I think they will miss out. Arsenal, city and utd all have to play 4 top 6 teams. These 3 teams all play against each other so I feel these games will be crucial.

Chelsea
    Fair play on the analysis jayop. A couple of things you have Burnley away as a difficult game for spurs but not for utd. You also have given utd maximum points from the semi difficult games but taken points off all the others for these games. Personally I think spurs are a guarantee for top 4 they have a great remaining fixture list and bar an injury to Kane I can't see them missing out. I think the other 2 spots are between the remaining 4. Liverpool have the easiest fixture list on paper 7 at home and 5 away and only 2 games against top 6 teams. However they are in poor form. 4 home games in the next 5 will be crucial any less than 9 pts from those and I think they will miss out. Arsenal, city and utd all have to play 4 top 6 teams. These 3 teams all play against each other so I feel these games will be crucial.

From those games for United I did 2 draws and that's going by the form book really in ties against that type of team. Considering we've not had a loss in the league since October then I'd say it's not a millions miles away from accurate. I think Burnley will be a difficult game away for any of us in fairness so you're right there.

For me City are a shoe in and Spurs should be pretty safe too, but Spurs being Spurs wouldn't surprise me if they ballsed up and lost all games against the big teams and a few inbetween.

Liverpool is so tough to call. The form book is meaningless with them this season because it's been like two different teams playing and you don't know which one is going to turn up for the next 12 odd games. If it's the recent one then they're screwed, if they can get back to pre christmas form then they have a great chance. The other teams are all just more consistent at this stage.

From those games for United I did 2 draws and that's going by the form book really in ties against that type of team. Considering we've not had a loss in the league since October then I'd say it's not a millions miles away from accurate. I think Burnley will be a difficult game away for any of us in fairness so you're right there.

For me City are a shoe in and Spurs should be pretty safe too, but Spurs being Spurs wouldn't surprise me if they ballsed up and lost all games against the big teams and a few inbetween.

Liverpool is so tough to call. The form book is meaningless with them this season because it's been like two different teams playing and you don't know which one is going to turn up for the next 12 odd games. If it's the recent one then they're screwed, if they can get back to pre christmas form then they have a great chance. The other teams are all just more consistent at this stage.
    You dropped 2 draws 4 pts from everybody's total but you gave utd max pts from the tough but should win games but every other team had pts taken off there aswell.

Chelsea
    You dropped 2 draws 4 pts from everybody's total but you gave utd max pts from the tough but should win games but every other team had pts taken off there aswell.

Yeah I know. Bar City everyone else has more than 2 games in that category and while I docked City 3 points there it was saying that they should get at least the 3 and they don't need anymore to be safely over the line.

Bournemouth, Boro, WBA, Sunderland, Burnley, Swansea, Palace, Southampton, Everton,

From those 9 games I'd be deeply disappointed if United came away with less than the 24 points I predicted.

Bournemouth, Southampton, WBA, Burnley, Everton all really with nothing to play for apart from pride.

Palace, Boro and Swansea close to the drop but we play the Swans on the last day so hopefully their fate will be decided by then.

Sunderland are just gank and we need to beat that to get in 4th.

I think we'll draw at Everton and either Southampton or Burnley will take points of us.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know. Bar City everyone else has more than 2 games in that category and while I docked City 3 points there it was saying that they should get at least the 3 and they don't need anymore to be safely over the line.

Bournemouth, Boro, WBA, Sunderland, Burnley, Swansea, Palace, Southampton, Everton,

From those 9 games I'd be deeply disappointed if United came away with less than the 24 points I predicted.

Bournemouth, Southampton, WBA, Burnley, Everton all really with nothing to play for apart from pride.

Palace, Boro and Swansea close to the drop but we play the Swans on the last day so hopefully their fate will be decided by then.

Sunderland are just gank and we need to beat that to get in 4th.

I think we'll draw at Everton and either Southampton or Burnley will take points of us.

If you get 24 from those 27 you will get top 4 . Personally I think it will be tough to get that pts haul especially if they stay in the EL. Boro,Burnley and Southampton away and Everton who you have at home are all tough games. I think the likes of Bournemouth palace Swansea wba all at home are bankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Jayop wrote:
    Games against teams above us... Chelsea A, City A, Arsenal A, Spurs H

Spurs are at home. United beat us 1 nil at old trafford

Chelsea
    Spurs are at home. United beat us 1 nil at old trafford

Yeah someone said that I was wrong there. I'd still be bullish of getting a draw at least. (until the morning of the game then I'll be all doom and gloom as usual)

And this is why I say how pointless these point predictions are !! (Just kidding)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Video refs so badly needed, Swansea robbed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    Leicester v Hull
    Swansea v Burnely

Big day for the relegation threatened sides

1 all in both games so far.

Chelsea
    Goals flying in today.

The next 4 gameweeks for relegation are massive also, very much centred around Sunderland's fixtures

Middlesbrough
    Sunderland

Sunderland
    Burnley

Watford
    Sunderland

Leicester
    Sunderland

EDIT: Boro game v Sunderland next week is postponed due to FA CUP but I imagine it will take place after theLeicester game.

If Sunderland pull off avoiding relegation (ever more possible but still unlikely) it will be some feat.

It could easily come down to a rearranged Northern Derby between Boro/Sunderland in late April to decide which of them go down. That would be a very interesting game..............

Chelsea
    Burnley lad handballs in Swanseas box and wins a peno, we need video refs wont even talk about the performance for both teams earlier in case I get PTSD its just week on week now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Classic Gomes blunder there lol.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Gomes is easily the worse gk to play consistently at this level. Hes awful. Although if i was the manager id be killing Okaka for being too greedy.

Brainless from him.

Chelsea
    Thats woeful again from Gomes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Palace win again (Sakho effect)

No surprise with palace Sam was always going to keep them up.

meh, Palace are f£cked, got some god awful fixtures remaining. Spurs, City, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Saints away, Liverpool, even Leicester.
    Think they have the worst fixtures left out of all the teams in bottom 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Chelsea
    meh, Palace are f£cked, got some god awful fixtures remaining. Spurs, City, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Saints away, Liverpool, even Leicester.
    Think they have the worst fixtures left out of all the teams in bottom 5.

They'll get a point off United anyway.

They'll get a point off United anyway.

haha. What brilliant banter! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    haha. What brilliant banter! :rolleyes:

He's a United fan, I actually think he is being serious :D

Chelsea
    I actually give up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Super Kane does it again! Coys

kaneunited.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

kaneunited.jpg

Sharing the spank bank eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

kaneunited.jpg

It'll never happen.

I mean "he''s one of our own" despite being an Arsenal fan when he was younger of course.

Chelsea
    TBF, Everton are a top 7 side but it stops at being 7th. Theyre not good enough for the top 6 and todays another example of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

kaneunited.jpg

I do see United bidding for him in the summer but Levy will want £100m+ for him.

• Advertisement

Sharing the spank bank eh

excuse my ignorance re the cool kids lingo but I don't know that phrase in its total form!

But, yeah, Kane at United for me if he brings this sort of form would very much be w@nk bank material for United fans, if he (when he) transfers... ;)

Ps, don't take this seriously Spurs fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Super Kane with the 2nd hope he gets yet another hatrick! Big game here with Arsenal and Manu both dropping points

Chelsea
    Kane will leave for a bigger club eventually but i dont see it to an EPL side. Spurs would be mad to sell to any of their rivals IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I do see United bidding for him in the summer but Levy will want £100m+ for him.

United should pay it though.They have the money to spend and they've created this problem for themselves by paying so much for Pogba so if they get rode with a price for any player it's the just teh way it is for clubs like them.

100 million + for a goalscorer who'll be around for 7 or 8 more years at the very top level will probably be worth considering how much money they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Barkely gone full Scouse with his perm.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement