Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    Given how popr Spurs have been at Wembley, they must be dreading playing there for 19 games next year.

Chelsea
    I tell ya what, the last NL derby at the lane will be a good one. Arsenal look like theyll have to win that to go above Spurs down the line because Spurs dont look like a side that can be caught by Arsenal right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

United should pay it though.They have the money to spend and they've created this problem for themselves by paying so much for Pogba so if they get rode with a price for any player it's the just teh way it is for clubs like them.

100 million + for a goalscorer who'll be around for 7 or 8 more years at the very top level will probably be worth considering how much money they have.

precisely, Rooney will be gone (probably), Ibra, still not sure if we will get another season from him, Martial looks unsettled and Rashford becoming more and more a wide forward so we need 1 leading centre forward to really build a team to challenge for titles. Kane/Griezemann/ Aubameyang/Icardi (meh) are probably main realistic targets that Jose would consider but for the sake of an extra 30 million Kane is probably the top target.

Chelsea
    Thats a good finish.

Undeserved but took it well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Unlucky Jan punished by his fellow Belgian

Chelsea
    Thats why Everton wont finish inside the top 6 any time soon. Theyre nowhere near good enough to challenge on a consistent basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Thats why Everton wont finish inside the top 6 any time soon. Theyre nowhere near good enough to challenge on a consistent basis.

Koeman is only 7 months into the job. 3/4 players into the starting eleven and they can challenge top 6.

Chelsea
    eh i dunno wrote: »
    Koeman is only 7 months into the job. 3/4 players into the starting eleven and they can challenge top 6.

Theyre nowhere near good enough to compete over a season, IMO.

It could change but I cant see them catching any of the top 6 anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

eh i dunno wrote:

The right 3/4 players in a lot of sides would see them challenge for the top 6.
    They'd want to rely on the top 6 coming back towards them rather than gaining ground on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Deli alli gets a beautiful volley ! Best goal in the entire game Imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Spurs very impressive I really can't see them missing out on the top 4. They have the strongest starting eleven in the league imo. The rest of the squad is what holds them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I feel this will be a long day for Sunderland, city will put 4/5 past them.

Chelsea
    Sunderland have started well enough.

Chelsea
    Just hit the post too. Follow up waas hard for Borini to put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

50/50 game so far, Sunderland with the better chances. Tough for Borini but he could have done better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Black cats need to score first.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Manchester United
    Sunderland doing well here. With Defoe they always have a good chance if they can stop City at theother end which they are doing well so far generally.

Chelsea
    GreNoLi wrote: »
    Black cats need to score first.

Ya theyll crumble if City hit them first. Its even enough so far but Sunderland are so wasteful when they have the ball its frustrating.

Chelsea
    Sane is causing them problems all game.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Game over

Manchester United
    Game over, lovely finish by Kun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Game over, lovely finish by Kun.
    And a tidy assist from Raheem.

If that was ruled out for Silva being "offside", that is a generous call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Think it might have been more to do with Aguero being offside and then interfering with the defender?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Think it might have been more to do with Aguero being offside and then interfering with the defender?

Aguero played the ball he wasn't offside, Sterling was but ball never came to him and didn't look to be interfering with play to me.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Possibly. Just rewound it, and there seemed to be contact in the middle of the box.

Seeing it again, that really is a tidy finish by Kun. We got a bit lucky with the deflection on Raheem's cross, but I'm not proud; I'll take it!

Nice one Leroy!

Manchester United
    Sane with the second, convincing finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Manchester United
    That's an absolutely brilliant offside trap by City at that corner.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    That bottom 3 looks nailed on to go down at this stage really.

Job done. We weren't spectacular, but solid. And a clean sheet to boot. I could get used to them! Ah well; onto wednesday night now, and the visit of Stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

How come Sky are allowed show the City game live on Wednesday night with the CL on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

PhilipsR wrote: »
    How come Sky are allowed show the City game live on Wednesday night with the CL on?

Possibly allowances for a team whose also participating in their competition.

Barca PSG is over sod it they said :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

PhilipsR wrote: »

They must have been planning on showing it before it was moved to Wednesday.

Manchester United
    Didn't get to comment on this after the Sunderland game as I had to go out but Man City's development this season has been something really enjoyable to watch. Putting aside the Guardiola thing, just seeing a squad start out on this path, struggling at times in the most extreme manner but also achieving big highs has been a lot of fun to watch. As time has gone on and the players have adjusted more to the coach and the coach to the league and it's started to click it's so enjoyable simply as a football fan to see this squad transform before our very eyes.

Probably the Premier League is a bit out of reach for Man City this season but they've put together a great run since that Everton defeat and it's beginning to gel together.

Chelsea
    Ibra and Mings both charged with alleged violent conduct after their incidents the other day.

I dont think the FA will give Mings a longer ban for his stamp but both being charged is the right call.

• Chelsea
    I actually thought that was one of Man Citys better away performances this season from what I have watched.
    Same old Sunderland, they gave it a good go and had a couple of chances before the end of the first half (how did he not direct that header goal bound) but the performance from City was professional and goals were well taken.

• Chelsea
    Ibra and Mings both charged with alleged violent conduct after their incidents the other day.

I dont think the FA will give Mings a longer ban for his stamp but both being charged is the right call.

Report would elude to a lengthier ban, makes sense.

http://www.thefa.com/home/news/2017/mar/06/zlatan-ibrahimovic-tyrone-mings-charged-with-alleged-violent-conduct-060317

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Didn't get to comment on this after the Sunderland game as I had to go out but Man City's development this season has been something really enjoyable to watch. Putting aside the Guardiola thing, just seeing a squad start out on this path, struggling at times in the most extreme manner but also achieving big highs has been a lot of fun to watch. As time has gone on and the players have adjusted more to the coach and the coach to the league and it's started to click it's so enjoyable simply as a football fan to see this squad transform before our very eyes.

Probably the Premier League is a bit out of reach for Man City this season but they've put together a great run since that Everton defeat and it's beginning to gel together.

They've had an easy run since the Everton game with the exception of spurs at home, which they drew. I wouldn't be getting too excited about them just yet.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    M!Ck^ wrote: »

I agree it should carry a longer ban, just look at Suarez and Thathcer as cases were longer bans were applied and justified.

Mings "stamp" was seriously dangerous and the only plus point is Ibra wasnt hurt, I cant imagine a 14stone man coming down onto your head is nice, or safe for the matter.

Like, if it happens on the street its an assault charge.

Manchester United
    Gavlor wrote: »
    They've had an easy run since the Everton game with the exception of spurs at home, which they drew. I wouldn't be getting too excited about them just yet.

There are still areas to be addressed in the summer (for where they want to be they are desperately short in key positions) and the return of some big players should help (Jesus, Gundogan, Kompany) and while the opposition (Monaco and Spurs aside) hasn't been the strongest, there's still been plenty of opportunity for slip ups. More than the results though, it's watching a group of players gradually grasp more and more over time what their manager demands of them that's been the really fun thing. Along with that, seeing Guardiola work out solutions and finding the right pieces to fit in (Sane as a key player, De Bruyne as an "8" Aguero adapting his game, Yaya Toure as the pivot) has been enjoyable too. Don't get me wrong, it's not all been chocolate and roses and I'm not trying to talk up Pep or his team, just commenting on watching a really interesting football project play out in front of us.

Chelsea
    There are still areas to be addressed in the summer (for where they want to be they are desperately short in key positions) and the return of some big players should help (Jesus, Gundogan, Kompany) and while the opposition (Monaco and Spurs aside) hasn't been the strongest, there's still been plenty of opportunity for slip ups. More than the results though, it's watching a group of players gradually grasp more and more over time what their manager demands of them that's been the really fun thing. Along with that, seeing Guardiola work out solutions and finding the right pieces to fit in (Sane as a key player, De Bruyne as an "8" Aguero adapting his game, Yaya Toure as the pivot) has been enjoyable too. Don't get me wrong, it's not all been chocolate and roses and I'm not trying to talk up Pep or his team, just commenting on watching a really interesting football project play out in front of us.

I think for next year, City and Chelsea are the best placed Englsh sides to have a shot at success in the UCL but in saying that, neither are good enough to win it at the moment, bar some serious lucky draws and also assuming both City ands Chelsea finish top 4 this year that is. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    Will Zlatan's martial arts skills be taken into account with that elbow he is a lethal weapon and could have killed Mings.

Also why did the ref spend so much time talking to him and Wayne?

If I was Mings I'd be telling the FA there may have been collusion going on there between the ref and utd players.

On a serious note both will get 3 match bans.

Manchester United
    I think for next year, City and Chelsea are the best placed Englsh sides to have a shot at success in the UCL but in saying that, neither are good enough to win it at the moment, bar some serious lucky draws and also assuming both City ands Chelsea finish top 4 this year that is. :o

I certainly agree with that, I think both clubs need to flesh out their squads a bit though if they are to have prolonged UCL campaigns. Both are well placed and, with a bit of luck and correct planning, no reason to think either couldn't reach the semi finals.

• Chelsea
    Will Zlatan's martial arts skills be taken into account with that elbow he is a lethal weapon and could have killed Mings.

Also why did the ref spend so much time talking to him and Wayne?

If I was Mings I'd be telling the FA there may have been collusion going on there between the ref and utd players.

On a serious note both will get 3 match bans.

No they won't get the same

"Furthermore, The FA has submitted a claim that the standard punishment that would otherwise apply for the misconduct committed by the Bournemouth defender is ‘clearly insufficient’."

Gavlor wrote: »

He has also solved the goalkeeper problem after dropping Bravo...... ;)

sure Pep will be gone within 2 seasons so it will "probably" revert back to a standard enough style again. Barca are a complete exception to the rule as they had the Base to build from, and MESSI, INIESTA and XAVI. City don't so it will take more time. If they still are working on it for most of next season, without rewards, the project could fail.

English football is very much different from Spanish (indeed most of European ) football.

I can't see such a project lasting a hugely long period and with so much opposition now, the ends "may" not justify the means.

What do you think?

Saying that if there were odds now for 2019 Champ League Final I would probably throw a speculative few quid on City!

Chelsea
    I cant see any English side winning it, unless, as I said, they get a favourable draw to the final.

Theres arguably about 8 Euroepan sides better than any English side out there at the moment so unless ht eEnglish sides improve, I cant see them progressing beyind the QF, without a good draw.

• Advertisement

I cant see any English side winning it, unless, as I said, they get a favourable draw to the final.

Theres arguably about 8 Euroepan sides better than any English side out there at the moment so unless ht eEnglish sides improve, I cant see them progressing beyind the QF, without a good draw.

2019 is a long way though. You may think it is not but 2 and a half seasons is a long way, especially with China starting to attract many top players

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement