Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    2019 is a long way though. You may think it is not but 2 and a half seasons is a long way, especially with China starting to attract many top washed up players

Fixed that for ya :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya :p

Give it a few years and the washed up players going will incrementally be replaced by a few of the top players!

Nonetheless, who is there? Barca (slowly dissolving from their heady heights), Madrid (likewise), PSG will be around, Bayern obviously, Atletico will be around, Monaco, Juve, maybe one more Italian team like Napoli will start to evolve again, Dortmund, after that I think most of the top 6 English teams will be joining that group and there is no reason at all a team with unlimited finances like City can't within 2 and a half seasons be in the top 2 or 3 teams in Europe.
    Who knows, United may have evolved into a fairly decent force by then also.

So what do you think will be the state of European football, as in top team standings by then???

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Manchester United
    A couple of points on the Mings/Ibrahimovic.

1. If the FA believe it was a clear and intentional stamp they should be giving him 6 months, not 6 games.
    2. I personally don't think it warrants it, but if they are going to say it deserves special consideration, they should have the balls to do it properly, not fudge it with a few extra games.

It warrants 6 months or nothing in my view. I think an elbow should be 6 games at least too, but I think 3 games is generally the standard FA punishment for that, so fair enough.

Was there a case before though with a serious cheek injury where they gave far more or am I imagining that one? If so, and they base the punishment on the outcome is very FA-ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Cesc ahead of Matic, chelsea win for me.

Manchester United
    A Chelsea win? That's quite the bold prediction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Conte washing his hands with the water bottle after shaking hands with the Hammers bench. It's either a religious ritual or he is a typical racist Italian :D

Conte washing his hands with the water bottle after shaking hands with the Hammers bench. It's either a religious ritual or he is a typical racist Italian :D

In fairness I'd was my hands after shaking hands with the like of James Collins!

01_coll_1558641a.jpg

Manchester United
    5starpool wrote: »
    A Chelsea win? That's quite the bold prediction.

Gotta risk it to get the biscuit.

Manchester United
    Chelsea jerseys are flimsy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That was such a fantastic counter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Thats Mark Nobles fault.Why the hell didn't put the ball back into the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Chelsea have an amazing ability this season to not look like they are playing particularly well and then scoring.

Manchester United
    Wonderful counter, lol at the troglodyte west ham fan, some fool.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Wonderful counter, lol at the troglodyte west ham fan, some fool.

"lol" at someone using "lol" and slagging someone!! ;)

They have had great luck, just like Surs and Leicester last year with injuries, to be fair

Manchester United
    "lol" at someone using "lol" and slagging someone!! ;)

He deserved to be slagged, did you not see the bald chap trying to get at the chelsea players celebrating?

GreNoLi wrote: »
    He deserved to be slagged, did you not see the bald chap trying to get at the chelsea players celebrating?

no! West Ham fans are usually such a graceful, classy lot so its hard to believe that!

Manchester United
    Kante's such an artful tackler, great to watch.

Manchester United
    Diego with the second.

Chelsea
    That could have been given against cesc

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    What a save by Randolph.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

We've played a lot worse this season and won. Chelsea are just a different class.
    Think there's a poster on the forum who insists that Randolph is the worst keeper in the PL.

We've played a lot worse this season and won. Chelsea are just a different class.
    Think there's a poster on the forum who insists that Randolph is the worst keeper in the PL.

I love Randolph for obvious reasons but he is definitely in the bottom 3 or 4 keepers. But that is no embarrassment either.

Hull keeper probably the least quality. And Valdes has been awful.

Oh, and of course, Bravo :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I'll see your Randolph and raise you Claudio Bravo!
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Why is Snodgrass playing LW? Bilic is basically taking away his biggest strength - cutting in and shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    I love Randolph for obvious reasons but he is definitely in the bottom 3 or 4 keepers. But that is no embarrassment either.

Hull keeper probably the least quality. And Valdes has been awful.

Oh, and of course, Bravo :D:D:D:D:D

Joel Robles is the worst keeper in the league.. league 2 standard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Wayne Hennessy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Shout out to mignolet.

astradave wrote: »
    Joel Robles is the worst keeper in the league.. league 2 standard

Ah, stop. Before Sunday (where he was playing against one of the most prolific scorers at the minute), Robles kept 13 clean sheets in his last 26 Premier League starts.

After Christmas at one stage he was the top European keeper (in the top leagues) re keeping clean sheets for half a dozen games

He definitely has some big flaws, and Hart will possibly come in in the Summer, if City don't take him back but you are grossly exaggerating..

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Annyoing goal to give away but a deserved 3 points.

Happy with that we were really professional apart from the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ya Fabregas at fault really, he'd an OK game but perhaps should have been subbed off when Matic was coming on I felt. Overall can't complain could've had more were it not for Randolph 2 stand out saves in particular, Costa despite the goal wasn't his best of outings either.

Chelsea
    Ya Fabregas at fault really, he'd an OK game but perhaps should have been subbed off when Matic was coming on I felt. Overall can't complain could've had more were it not for Randolph 2 stand out saves in particular, Costa despite the goal wasn't his best of outings either.

Ya the goal takes the gloss off a very professional game that we controlled.

Id agree with ya, Costa was very very poor but got a poachers goal.

The team was well organised a good omen for the run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    Craig Shakespeare: Leicester City caretaker boss to be offered manager's job
    Craig Shakespeare will be offered the Leicester City manager's job until the end of the season, BBC Radio Leicester understands.

Shakespeare was Claudio Ranieri's assistant, and has been caretaker boss since the Italian was sacked in February.

The Foxes have since won both of their games with Shakespeare in charge.

The 53-year-old has never managed full-time, and was brought to Leicester by Ranieri's predecessor, Nigel Pearson.

Ranieri, 65, was sacked by Leicester nine months after leading the club to the Premier League title.

Leicester have also spoken to other potential candidates to replace him, including former England manager Roy Hodgson.

Shakespeare's first match as caretaker manager was a 3-1 league victory over Liverpool.

Speaking after that game, defender Danny Simpson said Shakespeare had "kept it simple and told us what he wanted to do, which was simple and basic. We've done that so let's hope we can carry it on for him".

After his side moved five points clear of the relegation zone with a 3-1 win over Hull on Saturday, Shakespeare said: "My remit was to win these two games and that's what we've done."

Leicester next play Sevilla at home in the second leg of their last-16 Champions League tie next Tuesday. The Spanish side won the first leg 2-1.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39193031

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    Ugh, comes across as such a slime ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Jayop wrote:

Form the squad he is working with they are perfect for one another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I just noticed Man City are playing Stoke tonight, live on Sky. I thought there was some rule and live domestic games couldn't be shown live on Champions League nights when those CL games are underway??

Chelsea
    monkey9 wrote: »
    I just noticed Man City are playing Stoke tonight, live on Sky. I thought there was some rule and live domestic games couldn't be shown live on Champions League nights when those CL games are underway??

Most have been an exception for the schedule because Man City have the FA Cup game this weekend and theyve to figure out a date to play Utd in their other game in hand who are tied up with the EL and FA cup too, I'm guessing anyway.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Jayop wrote:

Form the squad he is working with they are perfect for one another.

Elaborate. I think this bad image Leicester players are getting is grossly exaggerated. Takes great character to do what they done and, yes, this season was a mess and yes they weren't (rightly in many ways in my opinion ) happy with Ranieri and yes, Vardy made a racist joke (aren't we all innocent! I won't be a hypocrite I have made jokes that may be interpreted as racist very seldomly among my pals but I'm not a racist, it was just immature drunk jack the lad behaviour ) Vary overstepped the mark but I find this "Leicester players are slimeballs" attitude very unfair and with no foundation.

No offence - you are one of many who has bought into it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

monkey9 wrote: »

Their is no other way to fit it into the schedule and if they keep progressing in the cl and fa cup they would have had to play 4 league games in a week in the last week of the season. If utd make sf of both cup comps they will now have to play 4 league games in the last 8 days of the season. Utd really should have played their back game against Southampton this day last week.

Chelsea
    5 game ban for Mings.

I assumed it would be 6 - 8 games TBH.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    5 game ban for Mings.

Should be either 6 months or nothing. If judged deliberate they need to take a tough stand, if not judged deliberate should be nothing.

5 games is a halfway house of nothingness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

5starpool wrote: »
    Should be either 6 months or nothing. If judged deliberate they need to take a tough stand, if not judged deliberate should be nothing.

5 games is a halfway house of nothingness.

Pretty much this. They wanted to be seen to do something but they couldn't actually decide if severe punishment was justified so they went for something which they hoped wouldn't count as too much of a cop out while also not being unjustifiably harsh.

• Chelsea
    5 game ban for Mings.

Understandable, in fact it should have been more considering his nonsense appeal.
    I think Il read the match thread again for lolz later!

Chelsea
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Understandable, in fact it should have been more considering his nonsense appeal.
    I think Il read the match thread again for lolz later!

Ya, he got off lightly Bourenmouth, from what I seen on Twitter, werent happy with the 5 game ban too.

Madness. :rolleyes:

5 game ban for Mings is understandable. It's near impossible to prove whether it was 100% deliberate so they can't completely throw the book at him.

They can't really not give him a ban because they can't prove it wasn't deliberate either.

• Chelsea
    5 game ban for Mings is understandable. It's near impossible to prove whether it was 100% deliberate so they can't completely throw the book at him.

They can't really not give him a ban because they can't prove it wasn't deliberate either.

Same can be said about the elbow
    It's a nonsense excuse

Anyone watching the City game? I know it is scoreless but how is it playing out? Stoke holding their own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Almost no chances all game for either side.

Almost no chances all game for either side.

Typical. Two awful boring sides................;)

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Same can be said about the elbow
    It's a nonsense excuse

It's very obvious the elbow is deliberate you don't swing you arm back with the sort of force Ibrahimovic did without it being deliberate.It's difficult too prove whether what Mings did was 100% deliberate.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement