Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    Typical. Two awful boring sides................;)

Watching since PSG put the other game to bed and it's been very poor.. City with the better chances obviously but haven't tested the keeper at all really..

• Chelsea
    It's very obvious the elbow is deliberate you don't swing you arm back with the sort of force Ibrahimovic did without it being deliberate.It's difficult too prove whether what Mings did was 100% deliberate.

How do you know if it was deliberate?
    You can't use the same reasoning for one and then argue against it in another case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Chelsea
    Almost no chances all game for either side.

Walters looking sharp?

Chelsea
    Stoke have just put Whelan on for Berinho. Can see where their priorities lie.. playing for a point.. will more than likely get punished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

astradave wrote: »
    Stoke have just put Whelan on for Berinho. Can see where their priorities lie.. playing for a point.. will more than likely get punished

It's Stoke away to the Etihad, no shame in looking for a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

They are away from home tro a superior squad with quality forward line. What do you want them to do, stick Crouch on?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

League dead and buried now. A late City run was all that was left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    How do you know if it was deliberate?
    You can't use the same reasoning for one and then argue against it in another case

Because it was obviously payback for the first incident.
    Because he clearly draws back his elbow in a way that indicates he's going to do him.

Mings stamp was a result of a normal step he takes, there is no deliberate action of stamping on Ibrahimovic's head. Mings stamp may well have been deliberate but it's arguable whether it was or not Ibrahimovic's isn't arguable.

• Chelsea
    Because it was obviously payback for the first incident.
    Because he clearly draws back his elbow in a way that indicates he's going to do him.

Mings stamp was a result of a normal step he takes, there is no deliberate action of stamping on Ibrahimovic's head. Mings stamp may well have been deliberate but it's arguable whether it was or not Ibrahimovic's isn't arguable.

But this is your opinion

You can't read ibras mind
    Same with mings going on this logic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Watching since PSG put the other game to bed and it's been very poor.. City with the better chances obviously but haven't tested the keeper at all really..

I made the same mistake, turned over to the city game, ****ing hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

GavRedKing wrote: »

Doesnt affect Ireland for now.....

Chelsea

That's fair enough but can they block streams that are using the likes of Fox sports or NBCSN or is it restricted to Sky and BT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    That's fair enough but can they block streams that are using the likes of Fox sports or NBCSN or is it restricted to Sky and BT

I'd imagine it's all content that they have the rights to. That doesn't bother me when the game is actually on TV and you either suck it up, get Sky and bt or go to the pub. I'd be pissed if they block games that aren't on live too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jayop wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's all content that they have the rights to. That doesn't bother me when the game is actually on TV and you either suck it up, get Sky and bt or go to the pub. I'd be pissed if they block games that aren't on live too.

NBSNC and FS have the PL rights in the US so i cant see how they can block that.

Same as BEIN Sports having PL rights in Europe.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    In short, I think they'll only block the Sky stream, so as long as you have access to other channels, legally or otherwise, you should be alright.

From the article too it mentions a guy selling the boxes to pubs, given some of thosee contracts for pubs are into the thousands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    What are we 'avin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Come on Everton a huge 3 points on offer today for you! Ps feck off tony pulis

Manchester United
    Pulis is a legend.

Manchester United
    Premier league is the best league in the world, it's an objective fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bournemouth need to learn how to take a penalty the James Milner way.

Manchester United
    Get in there mirales!

Manchester United
    Mirallas with the finish, only in the barclays premier league, 1-0 to the toffees.

How will the baggies respond, tune in to find out.

Manchester United
    Give 'em hell McClain.

Manchester United
    Colman clipped in the box there?

Schneiderlin chips one in two nil

Manchester United
    Lukaku of the Belgians, everton set to secure 7th place, the stuff dreams are made of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

davycc wrote: »
    Colman clipped in the box there?

Schneiderlin chips one in two nil

Looked innocuous enough, would've been harsh I think

Talks of Kane out until end of season emerging........... could be the difference between them getting top 4 or not.

Last game for Spurs??

I have no sympathy for Spurs though. They have avoided injuries for the last 2 seasons so something has got to give...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Talks of Kane out until end of season emerging........... could be the difference between them getting top 4 or not.

Last game for Spurs??

I have no sympathy for Spurs though. They have avoided injuries for the last 2 seasons so something has got to give...

Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Rose, Dembele, Lamela and Kane have all been out for a stretch over the last 2 years, and thats just off the top of my head.

It would be a big blow but I very much doubt itll be his last game for the club, even if he does miss the rest of the season

Chelsea

Last game for Spurs??

I dont know about that, you'd want to be brave, naive and stupid all rolled into one to try and buy Kane form Spurs with Levy on board, especially at the moment as theyre consistently knocking on the door for top 4 with the slim chance of a title..

You'd be talking a world record fee IMO and the clubs that would pay that are pretty slim and they wont sell to a rival so that list gets even smaller.

• Advertisement

There is one team desperate for a medium to long term striker who will pay over the odds for anything with 2 legs............
    And I don't buy that they wouldn't sell to a rival. Apart from Arsenal and Chelsea now.
    Personally I think they should. Kane isn't "irreplaceable " either when you have a 75 to 90 million return for him. As well as plenty more cash in the bank. It is right that he is irreplaceable at this minute though and if Spurs don't get CL football that could be the deciding factor.

People would have said the same thing about Bale but turns out having the money means shag all if its not spent correctly.

I would imagine Pochettino would be looking to move as well if Kane was sold.

Chelsea
    There is one team desperate for a medium to long term striker who will pay over the odds for anything with 2 legs............
    And I don't buy that they wouldn't sell to a rival. Apart from Arsenal and Chelsea now.
    Personally I think they should. Kane isn't "irreplaceable " either when you have a 75 to 90 million return for him. As well as plenty more cash in the bank. It is right that he is irreplaceable at this minute though and if Spurs don't get CL football that could be the deciding factor.

I think Kane and a CF with his record is the very definition of irreplaceable, who, with a similar scoring record could Spurs attract if they sell Kane? The best they could hope for is that they can get Lukaku, who wont be cheap either with Everton handing him a new contract, although I suspect that is to ensure they get a serious wedge for him in the summer, as I cant see him sticking around at Everton either.

If it was picking between Kane or Lukaku, I'd take Lukaku too, theyre a very similar age and Lukaku has scored a serious amount of goals with the likes of Everton and WBA.

I think Kane and a CF with his record is the very definition of irreplaceable, who, with a similar scoring record could Spurs attract if they sell Kane? The best they could hope for is that they can get Lukaku, who wont be cheap either with Everton handing him a new contract, although I suspect that is to ensure they get a serious wedge for him in the summer, as I cant see him sticking around at Everton either.

If it was picking between Kane or Lukaku, I'd take Lukaku too, theyre a very similar age and Lukaku has scored a serious amount of goals with the likes of Everton and WBA.

I would not be surprised to see a 60 million+ AND Martial deal being put on the table. That would give them a massive pocket to target another top class striker
    Aubameyang would be a great choice but for the massive issues 5 years ago that led to him ruling out ever playing for them.
    Lukaku, no. He is a step below what they should be targetting I think if they have serious ambitions imo.
    Cavani would be a bit ambitious, Muller ain't going nowhere.

Lacazette could be the man, will be in the region of 35/40 million. And then they can strengthen midfield a bit also. Their squad needs more depth.

Surely Spurs management and Levy acknowledge Kane will definitely move on within 2/3 seasons max so is now not the time to really strengthen their squad while the huge money is available for Kane?

Surely Spurs management and Levy acknowledge Kane will definitely move on within 2/3 seasons max so is now not the time to really strengthen their squad while the huge money is available for Kane?

If Spurs continue to improve as they have been under Pochettino then I don't know why the management must 'acknowledge Kane will definitely move on'.

I think he will be there as long as Pochettino is to be honest. Sould the manager move on then I could see a whole host of players looking to follow him out the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

MrKingsley wrote: »
    If Spurs continue to improve as they have been under Pochettino then I don't know why the management must 'acknowledge Kane will definitely move on'.

I think he will be there as long as Pochettino is to be honest. Sould the manager move on then I could see a whole host of players looking to follow him out the door

The financing of the new stadium may force Spurs' hand.

The transfer policy over the last 2 years has meant that the stadium is already financed to a large degree.

I dont think that Levy would be have taken the project this far just to have to sell off his best players to fund it right before its built

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Last game for Spurs??

Avoided injuries???? Don't talk about stuff you have no idea about. Kane missed seven weeks already this season. Also we have suffered injuries to Jan Toby and now Danny Rose, not to mention Lamela being missing since October.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Avoided injuries???? Don't talk about stuff you have no idea about. Kane missed seven weeks already this season. Also we have suffered injuries to Jan Toby and now Danny Rose, not to mention Lamela being missing since October.

apologies. You had great luck last season all the same, I am sure we can agree on.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    I would not be surprised to see a 60 million+ AND Martial deal being put on the table. That would give them a massive pocket to target another top class striker
    Aubameyang would be a great choice but for the massive issues 5 years ago that led to him ruling out ever playing for them.
    Lukaku, no. He is a step below what they should be targetting I think if they have serious ambitions imo.
    Cavani would be a bit ambitious, Muller ain't going nowhere.

Lacazette could be the man, will be in the region of 35/40 million. And then they can strengthen midfield a bit also. Their squad needs more depth.

Ya but would Spurs sell to another PL side? I dont think they will and I dont see Kane wanting out to another PL side, unless he fancies playing for his boyhood club across North London.

So unless he demands a move to Utd or works down his contract, both unlikely right now, I just cant see Kane going anywhere.

Utd need a CF and with Levy if he does want to sell and he knows the position Utd are in, in terms of financial power and need of a CF, they'll be bent over a barrel on his price.

Its also no offence to Martial but I'd say Spurs would prefer the cash straight up if they did sell, players plus cash deal almost never, ever happen either.

I can see Jose culling a raft of players in the summer though so I think Utd are on course for another 150m spend and a good lot of players leaving.

Ya but would Spurs sell to another PL side? I dont think they will and I dont see Kane wanting out to another PL side, unless he fancies playing for his boyhood club across North London.

So unless he demands a move to Utd or works down his contract, both unlikely right now, I just cant see Kane going anywhere.

Utd need a CF and with Levy if he does want to sell and he knows the position Utd are in, in terms of financial power and need of a CF, they'll be bent over a barrel on his price.

Its also no offence to Martial but I'd say Spurs would prefer the cash straight up if they did sell, players plus cash deal almost never, ever happen either.

I can see Jose culling a raft of players in the summer though so I think Utd are on course for another 150m spend and a good lot of players leaving.

Well we can speculate all we like, I think it generally the same debate among fans when it comes to Kane's transfer possibility all the time, no direct quotes from more inner circles yet so ...........we will just have to wait............

ALL will be revealed soon........ish! Could be the transfer saga of the Summer! And I don't know about you but, jesus, they get boring!

hourglass_md_wm.gif

Well we can speculate all we like, I think it generally the same debate among fans when it comes to Kane's transfer possibility all the time, no direct quotes from more inner circles yet so ...........we will just have to wait............

ALL will be revealed soon........ish! Could be the transfer saga of the Summer! And I don't know about you but, jesus, they get boring!

hourglass_md_wm.gif

He won't be going to United in the summer, even the mention of it makes me laugh.

He won't be going to United in the summer, even the mention of it makes me laugh.

Genuine question why are you so sure????? My reasoning for contemplating that he may head north is that United are desperate for a long term centre forward in the mould of Kane, have all the money in the world to throw at it seemingly and Kane seems like an ambitious guy and hardly a stretch to think he would like the challenge of leading the revival of Man Utd, still the biggest club in the country . Not to mention he could get at least twice what he is earning at the minute.

Spurs are doing great at the moment but personally I can't see them winning a title any time soon. Sorry, but it is true. Do you really believe that that stadium has paid for itself already? Do you think they can bolster their squad to keep up with their rivals. Chelsea and Pool and, if Arsenal tempt a new manager like Allegri, will spend big this Summer, and City won't be shy either. And do you think players like Son and Delle Alli wont be tempted by big money transfers.

Believe it or not I have nothing against Spurs, their fans etc. For fear of sounding patronising, I admire your optimism but I honestly think there needs to be a reality check in thinking players like Kane won't be prised away by a club like Man Utd and thinking their club is on the verge of this golden era.

That is my reasoning for thinking there is a chance he may join us, why do you think it is laughable that he will do so?

Genuine question why are you so sure????? My reasoning for contemplating that he may head north is that United are desperate for a long term centre forward in the mould of Kane, have all the money in the world to throw at it seemingly and Kane seems like an ambitious guy and hardly a stretch to think he would like the challenge of leading the revival of Man Utd, still the biggest club in the country . Not to mention he could get at least twice what he is earning at the minute.

Spurs are doing great at the moment but personally I can't see them winning a title any time soon. Sorry, but it is true. Do you really believe that that stadium has paid for itself already? Do you think they can bolster their squad to keep up with their rivals. Chelsea and Pool and, if Arsenal tempt a new manager like Allegri, will spend big this Summer, and City won't be shy either. And do you think players like Son and Delle Alli wont be tempted by big money transfers.

Believe it or not I have nothing against Spurs, their fans etc. For fear of sounding patronising, I admire your optimism but I honestly think there needs to be a reality check in thinking players like Kane won't be prised away by a club like Man Utd and thinking their club is on the verge of this golden era.

That is my reasoning for thinking there is a chance he may join us, why do you think it is laughable that he will do so?

Way too lazy to type a big long reply but my main reasons would be as follows: Loyalty to Tottenham, the club is on the up, biggest stadium in London on the way, Pochettino, Levy won't sell to United again. Only negative would be the wages but am sure if he is patient enough he will be rewarded there over time too. Am not saying he won't ever leave but definitely not this summer or next either.

By the way, I hate the cockiness of fans from clubs like United who think that a move there is basically one that cannot be turned down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lukaku turning down a new contract at Everton is going to create a hell of a scramble, Chelsea must be in with the best chance of signing him and Liverpool the worst obviously!

That said I could see Man Utd being very interested, a big man who is mobile is Mourinho's sort of thing.

• Advertisement

Way too lazy to type a big long reply but my main reasons would be as follows: Loyalty to Tottenham, the club is on the up, biggest stadium in London on the way, Pochettino, Levy won't sell to United again. Only negative would be the wages but am sure if he is patient enough he will be rewarded there over time too. Am not saying he won't ever leave but definitely not this summer or next either.

By the way, I hate the cockiness of fans from clubs like United who think that a move there is basically one that cannot be turned down.

not what I said so no need to manipulate my words, but yeah, there is reasoning behind thinking a club like United have a unique appeal to certain British based and indeed foreign based players over the decades.

If they get Champ League next year, their appeal will begin to increase again.

And do you think Levy will completely restructure his wage policy in the middle of paying off for a stadium. I think Kane is on 100K at the moment after that new contract. If they increased that moreso, don't you think the other squad members would (and justifiably so) demand an increase in theirs?

Chelsea
    Lukaku turning down a new contract at Everton is going to create a hell of a scramble, Chelsea must be in with the best chance of signing him and Liverpool the worst obviously!

That said I could see Man Utd being very interested, a big man who is mobile is Mourinho's sort of thing.

Except for when he got rid of him the first time around to Everton. :pac:

FWIW, I'd take him back in a heart beat at Chelsea but Everton will be holding out for 50-60m for him and given who is agent is, he might want his huge slice of that pie too.

Chelsea

Theyre still by far the biggest draw in England IMO, theyve money to match anyone, the biggest domestic stadium, the greatest history and one of the best managers in the world, the only thing going against Utd is the location, London itself is a big draw, even without UCL or EL football for all of the factors I've put above.

not what I said so no need to manipulate my words, but yeah, there is reasoning behind thinking a club like United have a unique appeal to certain British based and indeed foreign based players over the decades.

If they get Champ League next year, their appeal will begin to increase again.

And do you think Levy will completely restructure his wage policy in the middle of paying off for a stadium. I think Kane is on 100K at the moment after that new contract. If they increased that moreso, don't you think the other squad members would (and justifiably so) demand an increase in theirs?

Apologies if I manipuated your words. I do not believe that Kane is motivated by money and yes there is no doubt that Levy will have to change his wage policy in future and am sure this is all part of trying to push the club to the next level. Bottom line is I can't see Harry wanting to leave in the near future especially when the club is actually for once going places. Young manager, young hungry team who play for each other. Maybe he is chasing the pound but I don't think he is that kind.

Apologies if I manipuated your words. I do not believe that Kane is motivated by money and yes there is no doubt that Levy will have to change his wage policy in future and am sure this is all part of trying to push the club to the next level. Bottom line is I can't see Harry wanting to leave in the near future especially when the club is actually for once going places. Young manager, young hungry team who play for each other. Maybe he is chasing the pound but I don't think he is that kind.

Fair enough, but it is not laughable, as you suggested it was, to think there is a chance he will.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement