Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Corholio wrote: »
    More than harmless imo. It helps absolutely no one to make remarks like that. The 'even though your a woman' stuff is stone age really. It's gone from things being offensive now to nothing is offensive because everything is supposedly PC and is explained away because of that. Last thing female sports reporters need is crap like that.

So calling her a woman is worse than threatening to give her a slap. The fact that you're probably right is the funniest thing about it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

So calling her a woman is worse than threatening to give her a slap. The fact that you're probably right is the funniest thing about it all.

Huh? I didn't say anything even close to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Moyes football is stone age and we now know why.

Awful awful comment. But he apologised to her long before it became public, he told the club owner, he seems genuinely contrite, made an apology without reading from some script. Time to move along. Hopefully the FA acknowledge that it was a bad comment but he's done all he can to make amends and should just get the most minor slap on the wrist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Is this some kind of joke? Lucky he didn't put her over his knee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think it was a bad joke and he could have just as easily said the same to a male reporter, that's where the qualifier of "even though your a woman" came from. The implication is that he'd slap anyone, regardless of gender. But it was a joke, it doesn't come across as malicious in the audio. Stupid of course, but I don't think he should be ran out of town for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

#fakenews

If anyone listens to the clip and thinks that it's nothing more than a casual 'joke' then custard and cold beans

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Manchester United
    Arghus wrote: »
    I think it was a bad joke and he could have just as easily said the same to a male reporter, that's where the qualifier of "even though your a woman" came from. The implication is that he'd slap anyone, regardless of gender. But it was a joke, it doesn't come across as malicious in the audio. Stupid of course, but I don't think he should be ran out of town for it.

I think the problem is that, like you say, the implication of what he said is that he'd slap anyone, regardless of gender. If he is going to slap someone he should certainly be taking their gender into account.

I think the problem is that, like you say, the implication of what he said is that he'd slap anyone, regardless of gender. If he is going to slap someone he should certainly be taking their gender into account.

I think Moyes wouldn't actually slap any reporter in reality - it's a joke, not a threat.

Manchester United
    Arghus wrote: »
    I think Moyes wouldn't actually slap any reporter in reality - it's a joke, not a threat.

Really not sure it's the best subject to joke about, it'd be dangerous ground for a comedian let alone a football manager talking to a female interviewer after getting asked tough questions post poor result for his team.

• Advertisement

And it would be alright if he'd threatened to slap a man I suppose... :rolleyes:

Manchester United
    And it would be alright if he'd threatened to slap a man I suppose... :rolleyes:

Obviously it wouldn't be. That being said, man on woman violence is worse for reasons that hardly need to be explained, and a Premier League manager threatening man on woman violence, even in a half jokey way, isn't acceptable.

Obviously it wouldn't be. That being said, man on woman violence is worse for reasons that hardly need to be explained, and a Premier League manager threatening man on woman violence, even in a half jokey way, isn't acceptable.

So what would you think is the punishment befitting the crime?

When I read the comment yesterday, initially I thought, "Oh Moysie!" and it does, admittedly, read terribly, but in the audio it really does sound quite innocuous. Okay, it's a bit off color and ill-judged, but a bad joke more than anything else. Is it really unforgivable, as Henry Winter was saying? Should he lose his job? I personally don't think he should. He's made an apology, faced a good deal of embarassment and - who knows - there probably will be a fine from someone or somewhere, eventually. I just can't summon the moral outrage to want see his head mounted on a spike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its nothing and highly doubt the reporter was even slightly offended, they are far more thick skinned than that. Their profession requires it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

If I was her I would probably be more embarrassed / patronised listening to all this faux outrage from the so called anti sexism brigade.

She doesn't need protecting! What Moyes said is pretty stupid to say on camera and would probably get a few eye rolls off camera. Give him a fine from the FA for ill suited language but painting the man as a sexist neanderthal monster is f'in stupid and is a far too recurrent subject in society these days. Of course it is the freewill of journalists who want to paint this picture of Moyes and Moyes does not deserve to come out of this in a positive manner but the sensationalist reaction and digging into his past (I am almost expecting a story to emerge of him pulling a girls hair in the schoolyard when he was a kid) to sensationalise the interview is doing noone any favours and certainly not some momentous and valiant equality seeking journalism despite the writers trying to present it as such.

Manchester United
    If I was her I would probably be more embarrassed / patronised listening to all this faux outrage from the so called anti sexism brigade.

She doesn't need protecting! What Moyes said is pretty stupid to say on camera and would probably get a few eye rolls off camera. Give him a fine from the FA for ill suited language but painting the man as a sexist neanderthal monster is f'in stupid and is a far too recurrent subject in society these days. Of course it is the freewill of journalists who want to paint this picture of Moyes and Moyes does not deserve to come out of this in a positive manner but the sensationalist reaction and digging into his past (I am almost expecting a story to emerge of him pulling a girls hair in the schoolyard when he was a kid) to sensationalise the interview is doing noone any favours and certainly not some momentous and valiant equality seeking journalism despite the writers trying to present it as such.

I think Louise Taylor gave the best take on the situation and also offered an eye opening view of casual sexism in football.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/apr/03/david-moyes-vicki-sparks-old-fashioned-sexism

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Moyes has unintentionally taken away any talk of Sunderland being 8 points from safety, losing 4 of the last 5 & looking like they have ran out of lives.

Maybe that was the plan...er nope probably not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The tagging on of the "even though you're a woman" on the end suggested to me that he'd have said it either way but after it escaped his mouth he realised the way it might be taken (ie woman beating) and tagged that on as a sort of "I hit everyone, not just women, HAHAHA" sort of thing.

The sort of attention these things get suggests most of all to me that people are incredibly petty-minded and are more concerned by trivia than anything of import and that's even speaking relatively within the context of something fundamentally trivial like football.

There's obviously no shortage of sexist dinosaurs in football but the kind of hysteria that gets dredged up with petty issues like this is more about clickbait and short attention spans than it is about any genuine social justice endeavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Much Ado About Nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    We want 5 coys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

God damn I ****ing love this Spurs team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

giphy.gif

What a talent

God damn I ****ing love this Spurs team

Enjoy them all playing together while you can...........:D

2pcs-lot-famous-Europe-football-club-teams-font-b-badge-b-font-font-b-logo-b.jpg

s-37-29-37029-xlarge.jpg

Only winding you up....................................... well kind of!

Manchester United
    Come on Stoke !

Would love crouch to come on and get the 4th after Walter's hatrick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Enjoy them all playing together while you can...........:D

2pcs-lot-famous-Europe-football-club-teams-font-b-badge-b-font-font-b-logo-b.jpg

s-37-29-37029-xlarge.jpg

Only winding you up....................................... well kind of!

Times are really tough when you have to sneak in the United crest in a separate picture because they don't belong in the first group...

Burial. wrote: »
    Times are really tough when you have to sneak in the United crest in a separate picture because they don't belong in the first group...

ha! Patience..........patience!

They deserve their own picture anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Stoke liverpool heating up a celcius or two.

Manchester United
    davycc wrote: »
    Come on Stoke !

Would love crouch to come on and get the 4th after Walter's hatrick

Almost half way there.
    Hurry up Walter's and bang in 2 more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Easy for chelsea, 2 up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

ha! Patience..........patience!

They deserve their own picture anyway!!

You will waiting a while i'd say

KingdomYid wrote: »
    You will waiting a while i'd say

Ye Spurs fans really are getting ahead of yourselves! At the end of the day, it is about trophies! That is all I will say!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Spurs are in a great place really strong all over the pitch and play lovely football. They are a level above city , Liverpool , utd and arsenal at the minute.

Ye Spurs fans really are getting ahead of yourselves! At the end of the day, it is about trophies! That is all I will say!

I don't support or even like Spurs but they are up there trying to challenge for them.
    In a semi final of the cup, 2nd in the league & your talking like they are 12th :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Manchester United
    Spurs are in a great place really strong all over the pitch and play lovely football. They are a level above city , Liverpool , utd and arsenal at the minute.

Yea but they will never push on until they start beating these teams. Poch has done a great job but his record against the top sides is poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

ERG89 wrote: »
    I don't support or even like Spurs but they are up there trying to challenge for them.
    In a semi final of the cup, 2nd in the league & your talking like they are 12th :confused:

Don't worry us Spurs fan are used to the lack of respect from the likes of this guy. Even when we do well people want to knock us down and take the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Spurs have really progressed over the last 5 or so years.

They have an excellent starting 11 and some top quality players in Kane, Ali, Erickson among others.

What's the back up players like?

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Don't worry us Spurs fan are used to the lack of respect from the likes of this guy. Even when we do well people want to knock us down and take the piss.

Always the victim!!

If I am "this guy" you are referring to, you have clearly misinterpreted me! I like Spurs and this Spurs team is a fascinating project but I have noticed over the last two seasons, in particular this one, that a lot of Spurs fans take little jibes at their team far too seriously!

From the jokes that they bottled the league last year to the jokes that some of their best players will depart in the Summer to "bigger clubs" to jokes that they haven't won anything despite all these performances, their seems to be a theme of "us against the rest" attitude and their fans (some of them) can't just take fan banter!

I just find them easy to wind up!

Maybe it is possibility a defence mechanism or inferiority complex............

Back in 2014 I was hoping Liverpool would sign both Firmino and Son, he always looked such a live wire for Bayer Leverkusen - Fun Bobby's Korean cousin in a way.

Trippier is too good to be a back up player . Watched him a lot at Burnley he is as good a crosser as there is in the league. I think he got close to 15 assists in one of Burnley's promotion seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They are a few points ahead of those sides alright. No doubt they are in very good form currently but I really don't see them as a level above. If they were they would be beating the other top sides regularly.

They are a few points ahead of those sides alright. No doubt they are in very good form currently but I really don't see them as a level above. If they were they would be beating the other top sides regularly.

The main strength they have is they have essentially played the same team in the last 2 seasons which shows they haven't got a glaring weakness in the side. Most the other top sides clearly have for some time which is why they haven't been near winning a league the last 3 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Spurs for seasons now have always made smart buys around Europe. Eriksen,vertongen,lloris ,alderwiereld,dier and son were all players in very good sides that they snapped up at good fees.
    Strangely any players they spend quite a big fee on like soldado, jaansen and sissoko have struggled. They are solid throughout with no glaring issues, could do with a bit more depth but poch is the real deal and has them playing great. I do wonder could they hold onto said players if "bigger" clubs come calling though.

They have done alright against the top sides. They took 4 pts off city , beat Chelsea convincingly at home, drew away at arsenal, like the other top 6 struggled against Liverpool and lost to utd. They still have arsenal and utd at home and they have been brilliant at home. Unlike the other teams I don't see spurs as having a real weakness. In llorris they have a gk better than all rivals apart from utd. Their back 4 is the best in the league I wouldn't have anyone from Liverpool,utd,arsenal or city in the spurs back 4. Rb would be the only marginal call for me. Dembele is a brilliant midfielder very underrated and then spurs are also very good in the attacking positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The question for Spurs is can they sign top class players to kick on and can they hold on to the likes of Kane and Alli long enough to win something.

Clubs that aren't City, Utd and Chelsea are treading water when they challenge for titles and they need tangible success to stay afloat.

And yet they couldn't get out of a manageable CL group. The suspicion is they're freewheeling along in second place but if there was real title-winning pressure they would crumble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Spurs have had 2 great seasons in a row and will likely end up without winning the league.

That may be great relative success for Spurs but it will probably end in ultimate failure for them.Really with so many teams under performing in the last couple of seasons this was Spurs big chance to take advantage and they probably won't.They ****ed up big time last year when they really should have won the league based on the strong position they were in in around February of last season but they didn't capitalize on the opportunity handed to them.Unfortunately they'll probably lose Kane and Alli in the next few seasons whereas if they had won the league last year they might have been able to hold onto them based on them already winning a big trophy with Spurs.

Really with so many teams under performing in the last couple of seasons this was Spurs big chance to take advantage and they probably won't.

But there is no guarantee on them improving either.
    It's not like Liverpool, City, Arsenal or United haven't been spending money or changing managers the last few seasons (a lot of which hasn't worked tbh).

ERG89 wrote: »
    But there is no guarantee on them improving either.
    It's not like Liverpool, City, Arsenal or United haven't been spending money or changing managers the last few seasons (a lot of which hasn't worked tbh).

You would think that with their financial clout that eventually Man Utd will get better and Man City almost certainly will aswell.

• Advertisement

Someone please ban Phil Neville from ever appearing on TV.The amount of bollocks he talks is unreal.For example he was impressed with Tom Davies because he wore black boots when playing for the England U-17's rather than his flash team mates wearing coloured boots as if any of it makes any ****ing difference at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement