Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

England's loss.

• Chelsea
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Yeah I can definitely see Sanchez wearing sky blue next season alright. :pac:

Don't think so, didn't Pep already have him at Barca warming on the bench?

I was thinking of a temp swap for my location...

Laughing with Sam in the Selhurst Park Stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    No European football next season for Arsenal and Wenger may see his chance at doing what Chelsea are doing this season and stay on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Don't think so, didn't Pep already have him at Barca warming on the bench?

I was thinking of a temp swap for my location...

Laughing with Sam in the Selhurst Park Stand

Crying with Troopz in the Arthur Wait Stand is much better. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Manchester United
    Bellerin was the only half decent player there for Arsenal. No point in high possession if you don't do anything with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Wenger in, two more years please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

KERSPLAT! wrote:
    Bellerin was the only half decent player there for Arsenal. No point in high possession if you don't do anything with it

Ozil & Sanchez worked really hard there looking dejected at the end.
    They'll be hoping teams that can win trophies without them pick them up as they can't even keep Arsenal in the top f**king four

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Manchester United
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Ozil & Sanchez worked really hard there looking dejected at the end.
    They'll be hoping teams that can win trophies without them pick them up as they can't even keep Arsenal in the top f**king four

Maybe Sanchez but I thought Ozil was very poor

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Manchester United
    No European football next season for Arsenal and Wenger may see his chance at doing what Chelsea are doing this season and stay on.

Even if they finished 7th, which they won't, they will be in the EL qualification unless Leicester and Utd both win European trophies and utd finish outside top 4. It'd affect 4th and 7th in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Wenger has got to go surely. It's beyond a joke at this stage.

Players aren't one bit bothered.

Absolutely.
    Don't often use Liveline words like disgrace (Joe), or pathetic, but this was Arsenal tonight. Never tried a leg any of them, apart from maybe Bellerin going forward and an odd flash from Sanchez.
    No way Wenger can survive this. Looks like he's lost the dressing room from tonight's performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10834595/pfa-players-player-of-the-year-eden-hazard-and-zlatan-ibrahimovic-among-nominees
    PFA Players' Player of the Year nominees: Hazard, Ibrahimovic, Kane, Kante, Lukaku & Sanchez

Cant really argue with those picked.

Chelsea
    Young player of the year nominees are

Kane, Lukaku, Alli, Keane, Pickford and Sane.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Kante, and one of Kane, Alli or Lukaku

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Chelsea
    GavRedKing wrote: »

Don't ever underestimate online football fans with a sense of anonymity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Why who do you not think merits inclusion?

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    GLaDOS wrote: »
    Kante, and one of Kane, Alli or Lukaku

Ya, I reckon it'll probably be Kante and Alli to win the young player again.

TBH, I think including players who are under 23 in the young player is a cop out and it should be limited to players that are 21 and younger at the start of the season.

Chelsea
    Why who do you not think merits inclusion?

Alli can probably count himself unlucky not to be up for the senior award this year, I'd probably take Sanchez out for Alli if I was being super critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Chelsea
    Kante and Alli I would reckon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

I'd have Ali in for either Ibra or Sanchez, probably for Sanchez given the way he seems to have downed tools a bit recently.

I'd have Ali in for either Ibra or Sanchez, probably for Sanchez given the way he seems to have downed tools a bit recently.

Why though? Has Dele Ali really had a better season than either in terms of influence? Who would you prefer in your team at the minute? And don't give the "sanchez isn't trying" narrative that the tabloids are forcing on us at the moment. He has carried his team for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hazard for player and Alli for young player for me.

Chelsea
    Ya, I'd be surprised if it was anyone other than Alli for YPOTY.

Why though? Has Dele Ali really had a better season than either in terms of influence? Who would you prefer in your team at the minute? And don't give the "sanchez isn't trying" narrative that the tabloids are forcing on us at the moment. He has carried his team for the most part.

Maybe I am wrong, hard to know, just think Arsenal would be in a worse mess without Alexi whilst Spurs would still be up and around there without Dele Ali. All hypothetical.

I do think the fact that he is up for and almost a sure thing for YPOTY had an influence on his ommission.

Costa and Mane had excellent seasons also, particularly the former

Anyway, screw the nominations! Kante and Dele Ali are sure things clearly. Unnecessary debate re the others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Alli can probably count himself unlucky not to be up for the senior award this year, I'd probably take Sanchez out for Alli if I was being super critical.

Ibra out for Alli. Sanchez has been better than both. Lot of recency bias going on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Has to be Kante just ahead of lukaku. Alli easily for young player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ibra out for Alli. Sanchez has been better than both. Lot of recency bias going on here.

Costa had a successful 1st half of season too and was omitted why not Sanchez?

Mane more consistent than Sanchez till the injury tbh prob passed over due to few weeks in Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Costa had a successful 1st half of season too and was omitted why not Sanchez?

Mane more consistent than Sanchez till the injury tbh prob passed over due to few weeks in Africa.

Sanchez has the most goals + assists in the league, and he's carried Arsenal. Not sure how you can claim how Sadio Mane is more consistent, what are you basing that on exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Sanchez has the most goals + assists in the league, and he's carried Arsenal. Not sure how you can claim how Sadio Mane is more consistent, what are you basing that on exactly?

Liverpools worst period was with him gone, he was influential in taking apart Arsenal too which maybe more could be said if Alexis on from the start was only deemed good enough to come off the bench he set up a goal but also got done on his shot that set off a counter for Liverpools third.

Alexis has downed tools in many games that Arsenal haven't been at races maybe as he's being weighed down by the side he's in, if it's entirely stat based sure Alexis must be a nominee then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Manchester United

Sanchez has 18 goals and 9 assists, Lukaku has 23 goals and 6 assists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Some disgraceful comments in the sun newspaper today about Ross Barkley and the city of Liverpool

By the editor of the sun at the time of the Hillsborough disaster
    A day before the anniversary

That paper has no shame

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Some disgraceful comments in the sun newspaper today about Ross Barkley and the city of Liverpool

By the editor of the sun at the time of the Hillsborough disaster
    A day before the anniversary

That paper has no shame

In other news.... Bear ****es in woods.

Fvcking rag, anyone who buys is is worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    I love moussa dembele!

Manchester United
    2 nil already I love son!

Nutmeg on boruc !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

The spurs are really nice to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    Walk in the park for spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

The worst indictment on how poor the premier league has gotten has to be spurs crushing but failing to make any impact in Europe. Being away from White Hart lane was a disadvantage yes, but they really were very ordinary looking against good opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Rekop dog wrote: »
    The worst indictment on how poor the premier league has gotten has to be spurs crushing but failing to make any impact in Europe. Being away from White Hart lane was a disadvantage yes, but they really were very ordinary looking against good opposition.

Spurs will be a different animal in Chmpions League next season, wait and see :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tottenham
    Rekop dog wrote: »

These things go in cycles. The premier league will dominate again in a few years.

• Advertisement

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Spurs will be a different animal in Chmpions League next season, wait and see :)

Doubt it, easy to be fooled by their apparent strength when they've looked so dominant of late, but they were similarly good 2nd half of last season and then flattered to deceive in Europe. English sides so poor in Europe of late it's hard to come to any other conclusion than the league is well below it's standard of 5 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'd be confident that soon as Spurs get into proper contention they'll **** the bed like they did last year.they're playing brilliantly at the moment but it's easy to play well when there is no pressure on them to perform much more difficult when you have some pressure on you.

Spurs are on a serious run of form, but still have a lot to prove IMHO. Haven't a good record against 'good' teams, either in Europe or in the EPL, so will always be flat track bullies until they shake that off.

Also funny that the top seed in their champions league group was CSKA, so considering who they could have got it could have been really embarrassing for them.

But saying that Monaco were in the fourth pot so it really was the biggest anomaly group of all time.

And since the bundesliga has been outperforming the premier league for a good few years now you'd have expected Bayer who finished 3rd in Germany last season to finish higher than Spurs who finished 3rd in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Those celebrations should have Spurs relegated or made play in the DPR Korea League..

They do play good football though

Ha the hate for Spurs in here is hilarious, jealousy is a horrible thing. COYS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Rekop dog wrote:
    The worst indictment on how poor the premier league has gotten has to be spurs crushing but failing to make any impact in Europe.

Well there standard between the top sides in Europe & the Premier League had been massive the last 5 or 6 years.
    It's not like playing in the PL where teams simply cannot defend at even a reasonable standard & are poor at maintaining possession against top sides who punish that every time. The league despite the spending is a poor standard. Still Spurs make use of that as Arsenal, Utd, City & Liverpool drop very stupid points against rubbish like Bournemouth.
    Yeah Leicester beat Sevilla who are a mess off the pitch atm which is reflected in their recent performances.

Spurs are on a serious run of form, but still have a lot to prove IMHO. Haven't a good record against 'good' teams, either in Europe or in the EPL, so will always be flat track bullies until they shake that off.

Ok explain to me the wins against Chelsea and Man City plus results away against City and Arsenal?

Ha the hate for Spurs in here is hilarious, jealousy is a horrible thing. COYS

They're my favourite premier league side to watch. I also have a favourite Irish league team to watch, but I wouldn't be fooled into thinking they could make an impact in Europe because they're balling all over a weak league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Be interesting to see how they do when they move to Wembley.

Manchester United
    Come on you spurs

We want 5!

A Kane hatrick please to keep the golden boot race interesting

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement