Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

How cool is Berbatov on goals on sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    irishman86 wrote: »

Should have been in old movies with Steve McQueen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Loved the bit where he was discussing his 5 against Blackburn, in particular that goal he started from left back,

He said something along the lines of when I hit it out to Nani I knew I could take my time getting into the box as he would do some tricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Loved the bit where he was discussing his 5 against Blackburn, in particular that goal he started from left back,

He said something along the lines of when I hit it out to Bank I knew I could take my time getting into the box as he would do some tricks.

Who is Bank? Anderson? Nani?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Who is Bank? Anderson? Nani?

Nani, never even noticed that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Nani, never even noticed that!

I am sure there is a Nani/Bank joke in their somewhere

He said something along the lines of when I hit it out to Nani I knew I could take my time getting into the box as he would do some tricks.

Yeah I laughed. Hes like I need to do this complicate outside of the foot pass to Nani other wise I wouldnt be able to saunter up the field :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Middlesbrough are just a depressing side to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Chelsea
    Crazy. He's a good player but not that bloody good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Did Boro never see Guzan play for Villa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    Why the fûck is Leadbitter taking that free kick. Gaston is a much better striker of the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Jayop wrote: »

True, but Everton don't need to sell so why not take advantage of somebody else's stupidity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Based on pogba fee its a bargain. 23 and top scorer in the premier league. Wasn't an unproven martial 54m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tottenham
    It was in the middle of the goal and he didn't even dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I think the Lukaku fee is fine. He's got 84 goals for two mid table clubs (67 of them for Everton) in the most competitive league in the world and he isn't even 24 years old yet. It's scary to think that he probably hasn't peaked yet, he's dominant enough already.

Chelsea
    eh i dunno wrote: »
    Based on pogba fee its a bargain. 23 and top scorer in the premier league. Wasn't an unproven martial 54m?

Not sure how you calculate that bargain. One of the best players in a side that got to the champions League and European intl final as well as a serie a winner vs a flat track bully for a midsized premier league team. And he's worth eleven million more?

And no, martial was 36m rising to 58 should he hit mile stones.

Not sure how you calculate that bargain. One of the best players in a side that got to the champions League and European intl final as well as a serie a winner vs a flat track bully for a midsized premier league team. And he's worth eleven million more?

Before he moved to United Pogba was manys choice for best midfielder in the world, now that hes at United hes ****. Surely you know how this works buddy. Just look how much criticism Ronaldo gets purely because of his association with the club.

Sure Phillps is better than Scholes going by this logic

Before he moved to United Pogba was manys choice for best midfielder in the world, now that hes at United hes ****. Surely you know how this works buddy. Just look how much criticism Ronaldo gets purely because of his association with the club.

I don't care who pogba plays for. I have no agenda against man utd. Lukaku has proven himself in the premier league for 4 seasons now. Based on what pogba contributes I value lukaku higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

martyos121 wrote:
    I think the Lukaku fee is fine. He's got 84 goals for two mid table clubs (67 of them for Everton) in the most competitive league in the world.

The most competitive is a new one to me. Most deplorable defending league maybe :pac:
    I couldn't imagine anyone in Europe spending that much on him or Chelsea for that matter. Plenty of players out there that can do it vs Bournemouth & Swansea types.

He wasn't even Juve's second best midfielder in the time he was there, Pirlo and Marchisio were better and Pogba rarely performed at his best in big matches (where it counts) over there. I think it's a bit disrespectful to Lukaku the way you described him too, there's more to his game than his physical strength you know. He has more assists than Pogba does this season and that's not even what he's in the team to do, that's a midfielder's job mainly and he's doing it better than the most expensive one in the world.

ERG89 wrote: »
    The most competitive is a new one to me. Most deplorable defending league maybe :pac:
    I couldn't imagine anyone in Europe spending that much on him or Chelsea for that matter. Plenty of players out there that can do it vs Bournemouth & Swansea types.

Who are the plenty of players who've scored that amount of goals in the last 4 seasons? If it was kane I'd say 100m too.

Chelsea
    I don't care who pogba plays for. I have no agenda against man utd. Lukaku has proven himself in the premier league for 4 seasons now. Based on what pogba contributes I value lukaku higher.

If you offered me a straight swap or even a deal with Everton giving us money plus Lukaku for Pogba I'd turn it down.

Everyone can have their own opinion thou.

ERG89 wrote: »

Whether it's a fair fee (to me it is) or not, there will be clubs that will pay it and that's a fact, but it won't be Real or Barca that fork it out. I think calling it the most competitive league is fair when you see how many points the smaller teams take off the big ones compared to Serie A and La Liga, and the Bundesliga to an extent. That's a matter of opinion though I'll admit.

If you offered me a straight swap or even a deal with Everton giving us money plus Lukaku for Pogba I'd turn it down.

Everyone can have their own opinion thou.

Really? Lukaku and cash for pogba? When Coleman got injured he'd more goals/assists than pogba this season playing in an average Everton team from right back.

Chelsea
    Arsenal gonna arsenal!

Chelsea
    martyos121 wrote: »
    He wasn't even Juve's third best midfielder in the time he was there, Pirlo and Marchisio were better and Pogba rarely performed at his best in big matches (where it counts) over there. I think it's a bit disrespectful to Lukaku the way you described him too, there's more to his game than his physical strength you know. He has more assists than Pogba does this season and that's not even what he's in the team to do, that's a midfielder's job mainly and he's doing it better than the most expensive one in the world.

Flat track bully doesn't mean physicality. I thought that was a well known expression.

It means he racks up his numbers against crap teams. Lukaku has been absolutely anonymous in lots of their games against big teams.

This season in the league

4 against Bournemouth
    4 against Sunderland
    3 against Leicester
    2 against hull
    2 against Watford

So from his 23 goals 15 were racked up against 5 of the worst teams in the league.

Flat track bully doesn't mean physicality. I thought that was a well known expression.

It means he racks up his numbers against crap teams. Lukaku has been absolutely anonymous in lots of their games against big teams.

4 against Bournemouth
    4 against Sunderland
    3 against Leicester
    2 against hull
    2 against Watford

So from his 23 goals 15 were racked up against 5 of the worst teams in the league.

Think he has 3 V the top 6 which is more than kane or Zlatan. And no penalties either

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Really? Lukaku and cash for pogba? When Coleman got injured he'd more goals/assists than pogba this season playing in an average Everton team from right back.

Pogba created 54 chances in the league. That others are not taking them isn't a reflection on him. Coleman on 2 less games created 17.

What a dumb comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

That's a sloppy goal to concede. If I was a gooner, I'd be livid. Boro just didn't look like scoring, and Arsenal were reasonably comfortable, even allowing that they were only one up.

Chelsea
    Think he has 3 V the top 6 which is more than kane or Zlatan. And no penalties either

He does. That's true.

Doesn't change my opinion of him.

4 against Bournemouth
    4 against Sunderland
    3 against Leicester
    2 against hull
    2 against Watford

Fair points, but as for the bit in bold, that description also fits Pogba (the player you're comparing him to in terms of value) down to a tee. I think Lukaku is worth just as much if not more, you don't, so I'll leave it there because Arsenal look like they might drop points on the telly and we can both enjoy that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

4 against Bournemouth
    4 against Sunderland
    3 against Leicester
    2 against hull
    2 against Watford

Jayop if United or Liverpool had Lukaku in their teams (ignoring play style) then they both would have been very close to winning the league in the last two years.

We both have found it extremely hard to beat the smaller teams.

Chelsea
    Fair points, but as for the bit in bold, that description also fits Pogba (the player you're comparing him to in terms of value) down to a tee. I think Lukaku is worth just as much if not more, you don't, so I'll leave it there because Arsenal look like they might drop points on the telly and we can both enjoy that. :)

Amen to that.

• Advertisement

I've never been a fan of bus-parking, but I'm praying for lots of it now.

Chelsea
    emmetkenny wrote: »
    Jayop if United or Liverpool had Lukaku in their teams (ignoring play style) then they both would have been very close to winning the league in the last two years.

We both have found it extremely hard to beat the smaller teams.

I'm by no means saying he's a poor player, in fact I started in this debate by saying he's a very good player. I just don't rate him as a 100m player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

13 euro? What kind of a stake is that?! :D

On Lukaku, he isn't a 100m player at all - I judge by how well they do in tough games and he is one of those who tends to go missing in the 6 pointers.

13 euro? What kind of a stake is that?! :D

Grand National leftovers. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Arsenal's defence at set pieces is a parody of themselves.

• Advertisement

I'm by no means saying he's a poor player, in fact I started in this debate by saying he's a very good player. I just don't rate him as a 100m player.

Do you rate pogba as a 90m player?

Chelsea
    I've never been a fan of bus-parking, but I'm praying for lots of it now.

I'd say you are behind the couch right now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Unfortunately i think the £45-£50m player is now a £80-£90m player.

You'll find it very hard to get a good quality English player (or someone playing in PL) for under £30m this summer. Look what Liverpool got for Ibe last summer even!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I don't think anybody does.

Chelsea
    Is Lukaku classed as Home Grown?

astradave wrote: »
    I'd say you are behind the couch right now :D

Let's just say if I have any undiagnosed heart conditions, I have a feeling I'll find them out in the next half an hour. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

SlickRic wrote: »
    Arsenal's defence at set pieces is a parody of themselves.
    Ayala should have buried that chance. Anywhere other than where he actually put it and it's a goal.

What exactly does Lukaku contribute that Pogba doesnt, taking into account the play different positions. So far Ive heard Ali and now Lukaku are better players than him both are well laughable. If Pogba was British they would be falling over them selfs praising his season

Chelsea

As a footballer no, but his fee was as much to do with marketing as anything. I'd probably pay that kind of money for a Hazard in the PL only. Honestly don't think there's anyone else of that tier just below Messi and the boys standard.

If I was to choose between Kane and Lukaku I'd pick Kane as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Worth doesn't always equal the transfer fee paid.

Everton don't want to sell as they'll probably never be able to replace him with someone of the same quality so it's going to cost whoever want him a bomb to prize him away.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement