Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Hull and Boro down to 10 men in their respective games

The effort by the pair of them is contrast today. Hull 2 up against the apathetic Watford & Boro 4 down to Bournemouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No one is going to remember that Boro were in the PL in 2016/17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

No one is going to remember that Boro were in the PL in 2016/17.
    Really sad 'cause I was a big fan of Karanka and he worked really hard to get them up, they weren't one season wonders when they got promoted. Unfortunately, it's all been for nothing. They haven't put up much of a fight at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

All the premier league games these weekend so far have had a clean sheet in them.

Wonder has there ever been a time when a full round of fixtures had a clean sheet in every game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

All the premier league games these weekend so far have had a clean sheet in them.

Wonder has there ever been a time when a full round of fixtures had a clean sheet in every game.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not now anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Kante player of the year.
    Alli young player or the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lucas Hood wrote: »

No surprise there really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Lucas Hood wrote: »

I'd agree with that. It was Kante or Hazard for player for me, and definitely Deli for young player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    Two weeks in a row I've been able to watch motd 2.

Chelsea
    Jesus that was comical by Can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Anyone got that Financial Times league table predictor? Can't access the site and for some reason I find it interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    come on you saints get stuck in here 1-1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Great header by Cahill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Rebecca Lowe with a dreadful coughing fit on NBC, Kyle Walker[??] had to jump in and did well, but you need someone like Kyle in your side who can step up and do a job when asked.

You could hear her spluttering and coughing while Kyle and Robbie Mustoe filled the time, and were also trying not to laugh.

Went for an ad break and she still isn't back.

Could be a season-ender there for me, Jeff.

Let's just hope it's not serious.

edit: Jesus anotehr ad break and she still isn't back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Manchester United
    Beautiful stuff from Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

If Southampton could defend they'd be a decent outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    Never in doubt. ;)

Chelsea
    We play 4 times before spurs before the end of the season, thats huge.

Keep it going chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Liverpool
    Keep it up Chelsea. :)

Chelsea
    1 win down, 4 to go.

:pac:

Brilliant team goal

Hasnt scored a goal where he bullied people in a while, good to see him back

Chelsea
    Thats a great header from Bertrand.

I remember when Chelsea used to keep clean sheets, they were good days.

:rolleyes:

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Thats a great header from Bertrand.

I remember when Chelsea used to keep clean sheets, they were good days.

:rolleyes:

Selfish fans like you sicken me :pac:

Chelsea
    irishman86 wrote: »
    Selfish fans like you sicken me :pac:

I think we've kept only 2 this calendar year in the league. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

We play 4 times before spurs before the end of the season, thats huge.

Keep it going chelsea.

it's a bit unfair the way the fixtures have been set up that way, should be fair to both teams.

I think we've kept only 2 this calendar year in the league. :o
    You remind me of a Barcelona fan I met recently who complained they always had to score 4

Chelsea
    KingdomYid wrote: »
    it's a bit unfair the way the fixtures have been set up that way, should be fair to both teams.

They're already set out for TV I think. The FA cup semi final has screwed up the fixtures too as we were both effected by it.

I dont think Spurs will drop points tomorrow but Sunday could be anyones day, we do play before Spurs but the North London derby follows our game to Everton.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    irishman86 wrote: »
    You remind me of a Barcelona fan I met recently who complained they always had to score 4

If we could do it week and week out like that, I'd be happy. :o

I was really pi**ed off that we left West Ham score in the last kick of the game, it meant nothing but cost the backline a clean sheet.

They're already set out for TV I think. The FA cup semi final has screwed up the fixtures too as we were both effected by it.

I dont think Spurs will drop points tomorrow but Sunday could be anyones day, we do play before Spurs but the North London derby follows our game to Everton.

Its funny Souness saying that there is more pressure on Spurs tomorrow now,when in fact the pressure would have been more if Chelsea had slipped up. Spurs know they have to win all the games anyway but will feel the pressure to really win of you guys make a mistake.

Chelsea
    Its funny Souness saying that there is more pressure on Spurs tomorrow now,when in fact the pressure would have been more if Chelsea had slipped up. Spurs know they have to win all the games anyway but will feel the pressure to really win of you guys make a mistake.

I think theres some pressure but nothing major or intense.

6-8 games, nobody had a chance at catching Chelsea, we had one eye on the trophy and the other on the beach, flip that around and Spurs have gone on a fantastic run and dragged themselves into the fold and at the very least, are keeping Chelsea honest.

I think after Sunday the gap will be down to 3 points, I cant see us winning on Merseyside, we've a mixed bag of results up there.

I think theres some pressure but nothing major or intense.

6-8 games, nobody had a chance at catching Chelsea, we had one eye on the trophy and the other on the beach, flip that around and Spurs have gone on a fantastic run and dragged themselves into the fold and at the very least, are keeping Chelsea honest.

I think after Sunday the gap will be down to 3 points, I cant see us winning on Merseyside, we've a mixed bag of results up there.

Yes have to agree, Chelsea were gone out of sight and somehow we have managed to catch onto your coat tails. The race is not run yet but the weekend coming will tell a lot. What really gets to me is that if Spurs make a mistake they will be referred to as bottlers when in fact they have done remarkably well to keep the title race alive.

Chelsea
    Yes have to agree, Chelsea were gone out of sight and somehow we have managed to catch onto your coat tails. The race is not run yet but the weekend coming will tell a lot. What really gets to me is that if Spurs make a mistake they will be referred to as bottlers when in fact they have done remarkably well to keep the title race alive.

I think the bottlers tag is unwarranted this year anyway, unless ye overtake us and lose it on the final day or something. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Bit of paranoia creeping in there I think. Nobody is going to call spurs bottlers for not winning the league from this position, or just dropping points. They're still clear second favourites, and I think would have the longest winning streak ever in the premier league if they managed to win them all?

• Advertisement

Spurs are far from bottlers in the league this season. Any game they lost, they lost to respectable and mainly the better opponents on the day. They probably lost the league due to their form in October/early November but the last few months they have shown great resolve but it hasn't been in their hands really ever.

• Chelsea
    I'm expecting a rattled Spurs meeting an on fire Palace

I'm calling it now. The league will be won by tomorrow night

Spurs are far from bottlers in the league this season. Any game they lost, they lost to respectable and mainly the better opponents on the day. They probably lost the league due to their form in October/early November but the last few months they have shown great resolve but it hasn't been in their hands really ever.

Yeah in fairness proper football fans wont call them bottlers, I probably saw that on social media pages which are always on the wind up. Spurs have not done much wrong this year and did not juggle champions league and league very well before Christmas.

Chelsea
    Yeah in fairness proper football fans wont call them bottlers, I probably saw that on social media pages which are always on the wind up. Spurs have not done much wrong this year and did not juggle champions league and league very well before Christmas.

Don't mind them social media pages. Full of absolute whoppers, most of whom were never at a game in their life.

Ye Spurs fans should be embracing all the slagging you get to a point also! It shows something more than belittlement! There is a great deal of admiration and even envy by other fans as to the project at the minute!

As they say, there is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is not being talked about at all!

This applies to your team, your results, your style, your players, your boss! Fans, home and abroad are taking notice.

Enjoy the slagging! Bottlers is the only thing that other fans generally seem to have on you at the minute and even that is a distorted opinion!

• Advertisement

• Chelsea
    Joey Barton continues his excellent reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

M!Ck^ wrote: »

What did he do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What did he do.

£30k fine and suspended from football for 18 months over betting on games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

zerks wrote: »
    £30k fine and suspended from football for 18 months over betting on games.

That's his career over. Burnley in danger of the drop now with Swansea and hull both having Sunderland to play.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

I would imagine there is a large percentage of footballers who gamble to be fair through a third party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think it is a disgrace.

No match fixing or spot fixing in question here - no question over his professional integrity.

Banned for 18months for placing small bets on general football things, wins, first goal scorer etc - in games he had no influence on.

Such a punishment, on the backdrop of just how much the football industry uses the gambling industry for its own profit, is a terrible indictment of the profession imo.

"We will advertise and take money from the gambling industry but by god our players must never use the industry in any way at all.".

I think match fixing related gambling should be fought against - that is the type of issue that should result in an 18 month (or indefinite) ban, not betting on the first goal scorer of Arsenal vs Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Leicester
    I do wonder if we'll ever find out did he put a bet on for City too win the league in 2012. If so it'd explain his action that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I think it is a disgrace.

No match fixing or spot fixing in question here - no question over his professional integrity.

Banned for 18months for placing small bets on general football things, wins, first goal scorer etc - in games he had no influence on.

Such a punishment, on the backdrop of just how much the football industry uses the gambling industry for its own profit, is a terrible indictment of the profession imo.

"We will advertise and take money from the gambling industry but by god our players must never use the industry in any way at all.".

I think match fixing related gambling should be fought against - that is the type of issue that should result in an 18 month (or indefinite) ban, not betting on the first goal scorer of Arsenal vs Spurs.

Barton is not some naive kid,he placed over a thousand bets.He knew the rules and broke them repeatedly by deception using third parties. He got what he deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Barton's statement here
    http://www.joeybarton.com/betting-statement/
    He makes some good points.
    Seems Harsh to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don't think anyone is questioning whether Barton broke the rules. It's the punishment that is so excessive. Gambling is now worse than being a drug cheat in the eyes of the FA. Think about that for a second.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement