Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

My gut reaction is that it's hard to have any sympathy for Joey Barton about anything, but 18 months seems like a very long ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    It's a joke especially when that thug Taylor got two games for the tackle on Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

zerks wrote: »
    Barton is not some naive kid,he placed over a thousand bets.He knew the rules and broke them repeatedly by deception using third parties. He got what he deserved.

I think banning players from making any bets is stupid and when placed against who much the football industry leans on the gambling industry isn't justifiable. A player or member of club staff from non-league up to pl isn't allowed to bet on any football match in any competition or country in the world. That is insane - never mind when you add just how much the football industry promotes gambling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

"Here Joey - please help us promote gambling on football, but don't gamble yourself. Don't you dare use a service we heavily promote"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Some good points by Barton:

" I think if the FA is truly serious about tackling the culture of gambling in football, it needs to look at its own dependence on the gambling companies, their role in football and in sports broadcasting, rather than just blaming the players who place a bet."

"But surely they need to accept there is a huge clash between their rules and the culture that surrounds the modern game, where anyone who watches follows football on TV or in the stadia is bombarded by marketing, advertising and sponsorship by betting companies, and where much of the coverage now, on Sky for example, is intertwined with the broadcasters’ own gambling interests."

Some awful points:

"Raised at the hearing was that between 2004 and 2011 I placed a handful of bets on my own team to lose matches. I accept of course that this is against the rules, for the obvious reason that a player with an additional financial stake in the game might seek to change the course of it for his own personal gain. However I’d like to offer some context". .............
    sorry Joey, no however can defend this First, in every game I have played, I have given everything. I’m confident that anyone who has ever seen me play, or played with or against me, will confirm that to be the case. (yeah, all the fans of clubs you got sent off for absurd self caused reasons) (cough, Man City, cough.)

"Second, on the few occasions where I placed a bet on my own team to lose, I was not involved in the match day squad for any of those games. I did not play. I was not even on the bench."

"One thing I can state with absolute certainty – I have never placed a bet against my own team when in a position to influence the game" How can you prove that???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Harsh punishment. Not my favourite player but it does seem that he has a bit of a gambling problem and to effectively retire him is too much for me.

It is fair to say he will be "gracing us" with his presence on Sky or BT sports for every second game henceforth.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Chelsea
    I can see the point regarding the hypocritical approach to the FA's actions. Multiple betting companies heavily invest in the English football game at, which generates a massive income for the FA and all within the Premier League, players included.

For that reason, I have little or no sympathy for Barton. These men are paid astronomical weekly/monthly/yearly salaries by their respective clubs who rely heavily on the TV and advertising (betting industry included) money not to only play football, but to carry themselves in a professional manner and adhere to the rules which govern the sport.

Barton's no fool, he knew what he was at when he broke the rules. The FA have thrown the book(ies) at him and rightly so IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    It is fair to say he will be "gracing us" with his presence on Sky or BT sports for every second game henceforth.

He'll probably go on League of their own or play to the whistle, I cant see Sky or BT taking a punt on him for on air coverage.

Hopefully not anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Dear FA,

I'm fully behind your decision to ban Joey Barton for gambling.

Can you please now go and ban all English league, FA and league cup gambling advertisements to show how serious you are about not allowing gambling and football to mix.

Kind regards,
    eagle eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

eagle eye wrote: »
    Dear FA,

I'm fully behind your decision to ban Joey Barton for gambling.

Can you please now go and ban all English league, FA and league cup gambling advertisements to show how serious you are about not allowing gambling and football to mix.

Kind regards,
    eagle eye

He isn't being banned for gambling he's being banned for gambling on the sport he is playing as a professional in because of the whole murky area of potential match fixing that it could open up to the FA have to quite strict on this sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    Posted this on the humour thread too. Fuchs is stupid for pelting him outta it but Sanchez reaction is shocking

https://twitter.com/groojic/status/857332782690955264

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Stupidity from both players. The reaction from Sanchez is embarrassing to say the least, that's the kind of stuff that should be caught on any video refereeing that comes in. The delay inbetween going down would be hilarious if it wasn't so stupid. Both should be disciplined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Corholio wrote: »
    Stupidity from both players. The reaction from Sanchez is embarrassing to say the least, that's the kind of stuff that should be caught on any video refereeing that comes in. The delay inbetween going down would be hilarious if it wasn't so stupid. Both should be disciplined.

To paraphrase Sir Alec, he could have been killed :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

What's up with commentators mispronouncing Calleri?
    It's Cal-leri.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    Posted this on the humour thread too. Fuchs is stupid for pelting him outta it but Sanchez reaction is shocking

https://twitter.com/groojic/status/857332782690955264

In fairness, this could keep him out for the next couple of games.

https://twitter.com/Alexis_Sanchez?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I actually think Wenger's excuses for him are worse. Embarrassing.

In the first two attempts when Fuchs tried to throw the ball in, Sanchez stood next to him and didn't know he had to be further away," Gunners boss Wenger said.

"Also the referee did not tell him to move further away and after that he got a yellow card because he didn't accept the rule. I accept that. He was not the required distance.

"The referee or the linesman should have told him. Fuchs was lucky not to get a yellow card because he threw the ball at him on purpose."

Sanchez later posted two pictures to Instagram of him nursing a split lip and holding a bag of ice on the wound - but Wenger revealed that came from a separate incident.

"Huth went really in with him I think," he added. "I helped him to get up and he was bleeding on the lips."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Things are going to get ugly at the Stadium of Light today if Bournemouth go 1-0 up. The atmosphere in the ground during the build up is already horrible (and rightly so).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Cracking start to the 3pm kick offs, only in the premier league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Is this the least interesting Saturday in history? Well, at least we have Crystal Palace vs Burnley to look forward to later...

flash.gif 21' Southampton 0 - 0 Hull City

flash.gif 19' Stoke City 0 - 0 West Ham United

flash.gif 20' Sunderland 0 - 0 AFC Bournemouth

flash.gif 21'West Bromwich Albion 0 - 0 Leicester City

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    Bagels all round, just how I like 'em.

sabat wrote: »
    Is this the least interesting Saturday in history? Well, at least we have Crystal Palace vs Burnley to look forward to later...

flash.gif 21' Southampton 0 - 0 Hull City

flash.gif 19' Stoke City 0 - 0 West Ham United

flash.gif 20' Sunderland 0 - 0 AFC Bournemouth

flash.gif 21'West Bromwich Albion 0 - 0 Leicester City

Never even heard of half those teams.

Manchester United
    Leicester had to go and ruin it, shame.

Chelsea
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Anyone able to contact AIG to liven things up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Manchester United
    Peak Premier League....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

One goal in a combined 320 minutes of play in 4 matches.
    Match of the Day will be about 20 minutes long tonight .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hey Palace - Burnley might be a 11 goal thriller. Day not done yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hey Palace - Burnley might be a 11 goal thriller. Day not done yet.

Well its definitely living up to the billing of most competitive league in the world today .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

A GOAL!!!!!!!

And now a penalty!!!! Saved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    well done bournemouth excellent unselfish team goal !

should see them safe and comfortable midtable while sunderlund go down

only positve i can see is moyes will hopefully resign for ye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't think anyone has had a bigger fall from grace than David Moyes in the last four years. Can't see how Sunderland can keep him and he'll have to start in the Championship and bring a team back up if he wants to manage in the Premier League again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Manchester United

it's scheduled to be 65 minutes...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

dfx- wrote: »
    it's scheduled to be 65 minutes...
    Better pray for a Benteke hat-trick and a repeat of Hendrick's goal vs Bournemouth....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Don't think anyone has had a bigger fall from grace than David Moyes in the last four years. Can't see how Sunderland can keep him and he'll have to start in the Championship and bring a team back up if he wants to manage in the Premier League again.

The Championship has become ludicrously competitive since they were last there, I reckon they'll be much more likely to do a Wolves/Wigan than Newcastle or Burnley. Hard times ahead, the only good news for them is that Ellis Short will almost certainly bail out come what may this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I can't understand why they would have kept him this long if they weren't going to keep him for next season. Obviously the fans might have something to say about that.

The Championship has become ludicrously competitive since they were last there, I reckon they'll be much more likely to do a Wolves/Wigan than Newcastle or Burnley. Hard times ahead, the only good news for them is that Ellis Short will almost certainly bail out come what may this summer.

Correct. Last 3 times we got relegated we have bounced back within 2 seasons but things have changed massively down there now. I believe only 2 teams since 2010 have come back up at the first time of asking.

Pickford the only real asset we have. Wages at 77% of turnover, though there are wage reduction clauses in all contracts apparently which gives us a little breathing space on that front. Have a look at our finances. It's frightening stuff.

Unless Moyes leaves or is sacked and we get in a manager that we can get behind and is going to unite the place we are in for a rough few years. The majority of fans are against Moyes now. Starting a new, tricky season with backs already against the wall and no-one pulling in the same direction is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Sunderland would be doing well to keep Moyes. The team is one of the worst in recent memory and the rot had set in over 4 years ago and was never addressed. Sunderland will never succeed in the PL without new owners, the sh*t trickles down from atop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd say becoming accostomed to failure is part of it as well.

Actually winning games occasionally in the Championship and building up some sort of sense of self-worth as a club with a promotion (although that's of course by no means guaranteed - Villa are nowhere to be found) is a shot in the arm they need.

Newcastle showed the way to a large extent. I've been a bit critical of Benitez for not walking the league, but it was absolutely paramount they went straight back up and didn't piss about, and while the Championship trophy would be nice, it's not much more than that.

Gbear wrote: »

Actually winning games occasionally in the Championship and building up some sort of sense of self-worth as a club with a promotion (although that's of course by no means guaranteed - Villa are nowhere to be found) is a shot in the arm they need.

Newcastle showed the way to a large extent. I've been a bit critical of Benitez for not walking the league, but it was absolutely paramount they went straight back up and didn't piss about, and while the Championship trophy would be nice, it's not much more than that.

Yeah they definitely went about it the right way. The final standing of first and second don't mean much. I'd be downright shocked if Newcastle didn't finish higher than Brighton next season in the PL.

Gbear wrote: »

Newcastle pulled in a large amount of money from "assets" they were most likely glad to be rid of (how they managed to get £30m for Sissoko should be added to that transfer investigation :pac:) and spent £55m in the process.

Newcastle are a complete anomaly IMO as the way they showed is not a reality for 99% of other clubs that get relegated. Others don't have numerous assets that will pull in big money or the ability to spent £55m and continue to fund wages for the likes of Shelvey on £80,000 a week when they drop.

Sunderland for example might net £20m for Pickford and a few million here and there for others. That's it unfortunately.

Paully D wrote: »
    Newcastle pulled in a large amount of money from "assets" they were most likely glad to be rid of (how they managed to get £30m for Sissoko should be added to that transfer investigation :pac:) and spent £55m in the process.

Newcastle are a complete anomaly IMO as the way they showed is not a reality for 99% of other clubs that get relegated. Others don't have numerous assets that will pull in big money or the ability to spent £55m and continue to fund wages for the likes of Shelvey on £80,000 a week when they drop.

Sunderland for example might net £20m for Pickford and a few million here and there for others. That's it unfortunately.

It's just surprising how a team was allowed to sleep walk to relegation like that. If management had any cop on they would have brought in some people in Jan, instead ye sold one of your best players to another relegation candidate. Surely staying in the PL worth a decent outlay on transfer? TV money alone would cover it next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Just saw a stat that says a whole lot:

Sunderland have spent the last 190 matchweeks in the bottom 10.

Obviously absolutely no ambition at all at the club.
    **** knows how they thought they could keep getting away with it.

When you see newbies coming into the league every season and pushing out some of the old guard, if you stand still eventually it'll be your turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Not meaning any disrespect to or to add to any sunderland fans grief, but looking from the outside the club looks rotten to the core. No ambition on the pitch, several stories about player misbehaving off the pitch, a coach that seemed resigned to relegation from the day he was hired, sorry lads, but they are no loss to the EPL as a neutral.
    I'd kinda fear for them over the next few years, there seems to be a rot set in from the top down and it seems nobody except the fans five a flying fcuk what happens. Needs a clear out and hope to rebuild.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    I demand entertainment not abject squalor, a goal fest awaits at Goodison, guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Arsenal are gonna nick 4th spot, aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Arsenal are gonna nick 4th spot, aren't they?

I just looked at the table and thought the same. If they win the 2 games in hand it's really interesting, with the GD all similar too.

Manchester United
    Phil Neville equates black boots with having your 'feet on the ground'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Can't stand people who whinge about the colour of players' boots. It does not make any difference whatsoever.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement