Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Why is West Ham's stadium not called the Olympic stadium or the London Olympic Stadium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Why is West Ham's stadium not called the Olympic stadium or the London Olympic Stadium?
    What is it called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Amartey is no Kante, hope leicester can find another gem in that mould, they will need to.

Charizard wrote: »
    What is it called?

London Stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I wonder if Pulis will last much longer at West Brom?

He had a blast at the chairman in his press conference the other day and they are clearly at odds due to what happened in the transfer market. The fans don't seem to like him either and were chanting about his standard of football when they went 1-0 down at Bournemouth.

Pulis himself has proven that he will have no qualms about walking if he's not happy either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Paully D wrote: »
    I wonder if Pulis will last much longer at West Brom?

He had a blast at the chairman in his press conference the other day and they are clearly at odds due to what happened in the transfer market. The fans don't seem to like him either and were chanting about his standard of football when they went 1-0 down at Bournemouth.

Pulis himself has proven that he will have no qualms about walking if he's not happy either.

Yeah it seems like only a matter of time. Wonder what his relationship is like with the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Not good from what he said about Berahino today, can't understand how they haven't sold him at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chatter about Hodgson returning to the Baggies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

London Stadium is the name of it and it is based in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park

http://www.london-stadium.com/stadium/about

London Stadium.
    Catchy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Tottenham
    Chatter about Hodgson returning to the Baggies.

Pulis will get the sack soon, so Hodgson returning to the Baggies is a good shout. He did a decent job last time.

London Stadium is the name of it and it is based in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park

http://www.london-stadium.com/stadium/about

I know but I wonder why it isn't called The Olympic Stadium like the ones in Rome and Berlin are.

Seems a much better name than London Stadium as it's just a generic name rather than a name with historical significance like The Olympic Stadium would be.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Manchester United
    Hopefully Pulis will be sacked and not get another PL job again.

Manchester United
    Sideshow returns, going for a chelsea win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Swansea are preparing for the Championship aren't they?

Manchester United
    Easy for chelsea, swansea relegation candidates.

Manchester United
    Courtois brain freeze, 1-1.

Manchester United
    Jeebus on the cross!!

Fir deuce, bye bye Cahill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

2-1 Swansea!!

Chelsea all over the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tottenham
    Shocking decision not to give a free there. Chelsea were ****ed over there.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    Lol nice dive Diego.

Manchester United
    Lol nice goal Diego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Why are overheads not dangerous play/high foot? He connected with Naughton

Costa, Zlatan and Kun the golden boot could be a amazing race this year, Id love it to be Zlatan but I see Costa winning it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Charizard wrote: »
    Costa, Zlatan and Kun the golden boot could be a amazing race this year, Id love it to be Zlatan but I see Costa winning it

I think whoever gets it their club will win the League too.

Cracking season ahead

Poor decision to book Watmore there I thought. There is such a thing as a player losing his balance and it doesn't have to be a yellow card if a player falls to the ground without much contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Actual action... Hooray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Manchester United
    That lad Whatmore is the epitome of a duracell bunny, he runs like mad but has very little end product.

Sunderland aren't very good at football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

That_Guy wrote: »
    Sunderland aren't very good at football.

They haven't won a game in August OR September in like 4 years or something.

Same crap, different season.

Sigh.

Sigh.

U ok hun? xx ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Sigh.

I bet Lukaku has never had such freedom, nobody seems interested in marking him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

That_Guy wrote: »
    U ok hun? xx ;)

Are you allowed in a Premier League thread? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Chelsea
    Think Moyes is finished managing in the top league tbh.

• Advertisement

I bet Lukaku has never had such freedom, nobody seems interested in marking him.

An awful pre-season is catching up on us now.

The Allardyce situation was a **** show from start to finish and when you're in week 4 of a Premier League season and still lining up with a midfield containing Rodwell, Gooch, Watmore and Januzaj you know you're in trouble.

Another long, hard struggle coming up. Eventually we are not going to be able to pull off miracle finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Unearthly wrote: »

Sunderland are premier league cockroaches the last few years so could join him if he stays

dobsdave wrote: »
    Are you allowed in a Premier League thread? ;-)

Maybe next year. ;)

I can see why Sunderland went for him given the circumstances but I haven't been impressed at all so far.

He comes across so dour, boring and negative in his interviews and press conferences. Some bizarre line-ups, tactics and substitutions and his signings have been horrific so far. Ndong would really want to end up being a cracking player who can hit the ground running and a Defoe injury isn't worth thinking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I can see why Sunderland went for him given the circumstances but I haven't been impressed at all so far.

He comes across so dour, boring and negative in his interviews and press conferences. Some bizarre line-ups, tactics and substitutions and his signings have been horrific so far. Ndong would really want to end up being a cracking player who can hit the ground running and a Defoe injury isn't worth thinking about.

Feel for ya pal ye are stuck in the flirting with relegation cycle every season. Maybe relegation would be better like, clean the slate come back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

City spurs utd pool arsenal Chelsea Everton the current top 7. I'd expect them to be the top 7 at the end of the season aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've been very impressed by Everton so far. I think they could well crack the top four this season if they keep up the level of performance they have had to this point. They are actually slightly unlucky not to have full points, the game against Spurs should have been over at halftime but they managed to only score one goal instead of about four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've been very impressed by Everton so far. I think they could well crack the top four this season if they keep up the level of performance they have had to this point. They are actually slightly unlucky not to have full points, the game against Spurs should have been over at halftime but they managed to only score one goal instead of about four.

They've had a fairly handy run of games to start the season to be fair. Sunderland, WBA and Stoke. At least two of those will be in a relegation battle I'd say. And they've got Middlesboro, Bournemouth and Palace to come next too so should pick up more points in those games. Fixture list gets considerably more difficult after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

He is boring and negative but I think he's really hamstrung by that rubbish squad put together by a few years of ineptitude. I think I saw an interview where he said it'll take 3 or 4!transfer windows to get things right, that's a hell of a long time.

All Sunderland can do at the moment is to try and keep it tight, which they did in the first half last night, and try sneak a few 1-0 wins.

Rodwell, Defoe, janazui were passengers last night in that second half. And the centre half beside Kone seems a bit headless.

They'll be beaten again on Saturday (Spurs) but have a few winnable games after that imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

Dunno. I think any manager would struggle with that squad.

Sunderland are a club in serious trouble and for me appear to lack leadership on and off the pitch

Dont see how you could blame Moyes, Jose or Pep would struggle with that squad

Manchester United
    Moyes is a busted flush, I like him but the united job shattered him.

To be fair lads, Moyes' signings have hardly been inspired so he should not be getting off scot free for the squad being poor as plenty of it is actually his doing.

He has been given funds, including breaking our transfer record, and ended up with Ndong, Pienaar, McNair, Love, Januzaj (loan) and Djilobodji. Moyes has spent more money this window than Sunderland have in any window since 2012, and the spending in 2012 was only £3m more. Prior to that, you'd have to go back to 2009 to find a window where we've spent more money, and again that was only £4m more. It doesn't need any more than 4 games of the season to say that his business in the transfer market has been atrocious. It was obvious before a ball was kicked.

As Gavlor rightly says, we will be beaten again away to Spurs at the weekend, but the consecutive home games against West Brom and Palace look like huge games already.

Moyes himself has piled the pressure on himself with his ludicrous comments about being in a relegation battle after the Boro game, which staggeringly came 90 minutes after he said he was looking up the table prior to that game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

To be fair lads, Moyes' signings have hardly been inspired so he should not be getting off scot free for the squad being poor as plenty of it is actually his doing.

He has been given funds, including breaking our transfer record, and ended up with Ndong, Pienaar, McNair, Love, Januzaj (loan) and Djilobodji. Moyes has spent more money this window than Sunderland have in any window since 2012, and the spending in 2012 was only £3m more. Prior to that, you'd have to go back to 2009 to find a window where we've spent more money, and again that was only £4m more. It doesn't need any more than 4 games of the season to say that his business in the transfer market has been atrocious. It was obvious before a ball was kicked.

As Gavlor rightly says, we will be beaten again away to Spurs at the weekend, but the consecutive home games against West Brom and Palace look like huge games already.

Moyes himself has piled the pressure on himself with his ludicrous comments about being in a relegation battle after the Boro game, which staggeringly came 90 minutes after he said he was looking up the table prior to that game!

Maybe it took the boro game to show him just how bad the squad is. Outside Defoe I wouldn't want any of their players and he's no spring chicken

wally79 wrote: »
    Maybe it took the boro game to show him just how bad the squad is. Outside Defoe I wouldn't want any of their players and he's no spring chicken

Sam Allardyce suffered 1 defeat in 11 games at the end of last season with very similar personnel.

Aside from Defoe, Kone and Kirchhoff are excellent players who wouldn't look out of place in too many Premier League teams. There's a spine of CB, CM and striker that any manager at bottom half Premier League level would kill for, while the likes of Borini and Khazri are very effective at that level if utilised correctly.

2 of his Moyes' signings (McNair and Love) were the worst players on the field that day against 'Boro by a considerable distance. I don't want to be too harsh on them, they are kids who should never have been thrown into that situation (and there never should have been a need to) but unfortunately that's the level of signing that Moyes has made.

Moyes has had a terrible summer transfer window (regardless of how Ndong turns out) and his comments after the 'Boro game were an utter embarrassment regardless of what he thought.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement