Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Eriksen with a bad miss, Ox at right back isn't working for arse.

Manchester United
    Lol at the over zealous stewards, harem scarem stuff atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Manchester United
    Anyone see that tosser getting turfed out of it by the stewards ? Should be seeing more of that around the grounds cant have idiots threatining players

ricero wrote: »
    Anyone see that tosser getting turfed out of it by the stewards ? Should be seeing more of that around the grounds cant have idiots threatining players

:rolleyes:

Manchester United
    Xhaka's all fouled out already.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    eh i dunno wrote: »
    Klopp hasn't improved in years. Fraud.

cool username

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think the worse thing about the dives today by both Rashford and Sane is equally the amount of minute analysis some people do to try and make out they weren't dives when they clearly were. The terminology that commentators and supporters use like 'clever' etc just furthers the acceptance and justification of what is considered 'not a dive' or 'winning the penalty'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Corholio wrote: »
    I think the worse thing about the dives today by both Rashford and Sane is equally the amount of minute analysis some people do to try and make out they weren't dives when they clearly were. The terminology that commentators and supporters use like 'clever' etc just furthers the acceptance and justification of what is considered 'not a dive' or 'winning the penalty'.

Agree,

Sanchez today gestured the ball hit his chest not his elbow. Despite the fact it clearly hit his elbow. His teammate clearly saw it also. They both feigned ignorance. Harry Kane deliberately stuck his leg towards Gabriel who was going to clip Kane anyway. People are becoming accustomed and normalised to this type of behaviour on the pitch. In some instances people are even justifying it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Corholio wrote: »
    Yes.

This is what has me questioning the use of video evidence as a panacea for diving etc. TV companies especially have normalised thus to the extent that a Ref may decide' oh look, there was contact there 'and still award penalties to the right team, especially if he's in say the Bearnabeau or somewhere with a noisy crowd threatening to riot.

It also suits tv because, in a lot of these games, we'd never see a goal without diving for penalties, especially in the EPL*. Suddenly there is goals galore, star strikes galore, everyone's a winner.

Very arrogant performance by United yesterday. Were poor to form, but never looked to push for a second goal and deservedly got caught, lucky not to lose in the end. Basically played with 10 men throughout, carrying Rooney, with one if their better players looking on in Myktarian.
    Top work Jose.

*slight exaggeration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Turtwig wrote: »
    Agree,

Sanchez today gestured the ball hit his chest not his elbow. Despite the fact it clearly hit his elbow. His teammate clearly saw it also. They both feigned ignorance. Harry Kane deliberately stuck his leg towards Gabriel who was going to clip Kane anyway. People are becoming accustomed and normalised to this type of behaviour on the pitch. In some instances people are even justifying it. :(

It's not up to the players to behave nicely.There are rules to the game and the referees job is to apply the rules and the players job is to do everything in their power to win.If players go outside the rules the refs can book them or send them off.

This idea that the players should play in a sporting manner is from a bygone era and complete nonsense particularly in a team sport.It's a nice idea but once someone breaks the code of what is supposed to be appropriate behaviour (and that will always happen) then the opposition by sticking to decent behaviour will end up being handicapped by behaving well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Ref should be embarrassed about the Sane penalty, only just saw it today catching up on the weekend games
    The ref who gave Rashford penalty should be just as embarrassed.
    Horrific calls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Referees have a hard enough job as it is without players deliberately trying to deceive them. Blame the players here, not the officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Referees have a hard enough job as it is without players deliberately trying to deceive them. Blame the players here, not the officials.

I agree but we have seen some clear cases where penalties were given by the ref or linesman when there were no fouls committed.
    They were clearly swayed by the crowd or players.
    They should not give a foul unless they have clearly seen a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    Friday Night football is back tonight on Sky, first game in months IIRC.

West Ham host Spurs. I expect Spurs to close the gap to 1 point on Chelsea who play Monday night.

Spurs form is pretty sensational and I cant see West Ham putting up any resistance to their attack and not being good enough to break down their defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hopefully Spurs thrash 'em but not so much as they lose Bilic and get a new/temp manager bounce against Liverpool (cos that's always happening it seems)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Friday Night football is back tonight on Sky, first game in months IIRC.

West Ham host Spurs. I expect Spurs to close the gap to 1 point on Chelsea who play Monday night.

Spurs form is pretty sensational and I cant see West Ham putting up any resistance to their attack and not being good enough to break down their defence.

Hardly the boldest of predictions! !

Manchester United
    Interesting game to round off this week's football, would like to see spurs hammer west ham but I foresee a score draw, 2-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

1 Nil to spurs will do me,

:pac: COYS

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Manchester United
    Feisty start, bodes well.

West Ham playing a high line, could be their downfall with spurs pace

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    Crap decision, good tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Chelsea
    What a ridiculous yellow card for Walker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Filthy tackle from noble !

Walker makes me nervous all game I'm waiting on his latest brain fart

Manchester United
    Adrian's wall.

Manchester United
    Unlucky Kane! Great reflexes Adrian

Christy Brown left foot by keeper:eek:

Manchester United
    Sweeper keeper, Llucky Lloris.

Manchester United
    Well sorted out Hugo. Take no prisoners lol

Stupid by lloris, could have got sent off or gave away a peno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If that tackle was in the middle of the field people would be screaming for a red card. Slight touch on ball and then completely took your man out of it.

Kouyate's follow up effort after the Lloris tackle was pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Chelsea
    If that tackle was in the middle of the field people would be screaming for a red card.

Keepers always get away with murder.

No decisive pass has come from Spurs midfield.

Might see Dembele second half.

Reid for the Happy Hammers has been class for them

Manchester United
    Bit of a comedown from the midweek masterclasses, hoping for better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Happy enough with the first half. We all know what's going to happen in the second half though.

• Advertisement

Happy enough with the first half. We all know what's going to happen in the second half though.

This could go either way, very tense from both teams.

Ayew :(
    Why do all of our record signings either get constantly injured (Ashton, Carroll) or turn out to be sh!t (Savio, Jarvis and Ayew).

Why was Dele Alli not booked for arguing with the linesman there.He clearly swore at him a couple of times.It's supposed to be a yellow card for dissent and yet constantly they aren't handed out for dissent when they should be.

Manchester United
    Dembele should come on.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Dembele should come on.

No need for both Dier and Wanyama in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tottenham
    7/1 about West ham, worth a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Why was Dele Alli not booked for arguing with the linesman there.He clearly swore at him a couple of times.It's supposed to be a yellow card for dissent and yet constantly they aren't handed out for dissent when they should be.

One of those rules that'll never be taken seriously until refs get mic'ed up.

Bad Miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Eriksen seems half asleep or like he doesn't give a fúck.

Nice save

Manchester United
    Feck sake spurs, typical.

I love Lanzini!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I love Lanzini!!!

So do I. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Martin Tyler enjoying this more than Alan Smith.

It was always gonna be Lanzini
    151105121411-listen-to-me-marlon-12-super-169.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement