Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

And if that just boils down to a battle between Arsenal and Liverpool for the last spot then who really cares.

Martin Tyler will regardless of the results today!
    He still believes Hull have a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

And if that just boils down to a battle between Arsenal and Liverpool for the last spot then who really cares.

I actually think, for Arsenal it could be the best thing n the long run for them not to get a Champ League place.

1. It may be the nail in the coffin for Wenger and some of the very average placers in the squad
    2. They won't come near the latter rounds with that squad regardless
    3. It may force the owners into big investments in the squad
    4. Sanchez and even Ozil are more probably than not leaving regardless
    5. If Wenger does stay on it may give him more impetus, to concentrate on actually ensuring that they can't take their "annual top 4" place for granted and put more pressure on the team and, to be fair, Arsenal players do react decently under pressure more often than not. It s only when they look good, they fall victim to inevitable false hope.

Liverpool, however, going forward, could really need to secure that place and set them in motion.
    Also, Klopp needs to fk off with those godawful advertisements. He gets paid enough already. If Liverpool fall out of the top 4 for the first time this season (I think) on the last day, it can only be classified as failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Whatever one thinks of Sam Allarderchi he knows how to keep a side up with sensible pragmatic tactics and attitude.

Whatever one thinks of Sam Alerderchi he knows how to keep a side up with sensible pragmatic tactics and attitude.

Hull relegated themselves last week. I imagine anyone who stays there will be haunted by that Sunderland result until they get promoted again.

Why the fk is Tom Huddlestone sitting on the bench for a club fighting for survival. He was actually playing well the first half of the season. His career has hit a complete low.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Hull relegated themselves last week. I imagine anyone who stays there will be haunted by that Sunderland result until they get promoted again.

Awful result, that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

ERG89 wrote: »
    I know logic would say that one game doesn't send you down (it's what you do in the other 37), but that was a hammer blow. Losing at home to an already relegated (and pretty woeful) Sunderland side was a hammer blow, specially so late on in the season, when you don't have many games left to repair the damage. They were looking a good bet to stay up before that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Tottenham
    I actually think, for Arsenal it could be the best thing n the long run for them not to get a Champ League place.

Liverpool, however, going forward, could really need to secure that place and set them in motion.
    Also, Klopp needs to fk off with those godawful advertisements. He gets paid enough already. If Liverpool fall out of the top 4 for the first time this season (I think) on the last day, it can only be classified as failure.

Not sure if top four would be good news for Arsenal. Wenger will stay on if they get top four and Arsenal will back in the same place next season. Huge pressure on Liverpool and Klopp for the first time. Will be interesting to see how they cope. Not getting top four, after having an easy season in terms of fixture congestion, would be a failure.

Berserker wrote: »
    Not sure if top four would be good news for Arsenal. Wenger will stay on if they get top four and Arsenal will back in the same place next season. Huge pressure on Liverpool and Klopp for the first time. Will be interesting to see how they cope. Not getting top four, after having an easy season in terms of fixture congestion, would be a failure.

Just incase you misinterpreted my post, but that was my original point!

• Advertisement

You just know well Martin Tyler is in one of those "The last <insert meaningless stat> at White Hart Lane" moods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

1. It may be the nail in the coffin for Wenger and some of the very average placers in the squad
    5. If Wenger does stay on it may give him more impetus, to concentrate on actually ensuring that they can't take their "annual top 4" place for granted and put more pressure on the team and, to be fair, Arsenal players do react decently under pressure more often than not. It s only when they look good, they fall victim to inevitable false hope.

Bet Victor are a Liverpool sponsor so you have to guess they would want some Liverpool connection in their adverts

Bet Victor are a Liverpool sponsor so you have to guess they would want some Liverpool connection in their adverts

I am well aware of the commercial reasons but the adverts are, nevertheless, very irritating and if they had failed to get top 4 I imagine Liverpool fans would start to get irritated looking at them also!
    He wasn't forced into doing them also.

I am well aware of the commercial reasons but the adverts are, nevertheless, very irritating and if they had failed to get top 4 I imagine Liverpool fans would start to get irritated looking at them also!
    He wasn't forced into doing them also.

If you get irritated by an advert that a manager did that was maybe done in one afternoon after training then you need to sort your priorities out

If you get irritated by an advert that a manager did that was maybe done in one afternoon after training then you need to sort your priorities out

Jesus, I said I find the ad irritating, I didn't say it is driving me insane. Stupid reply! Everybody gets irritated by certain adverts!

I know watchya mean Mr Bread :)

Sort your priorities out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hopefully you're right BUT I just can't see Wenger leaving. It's all about money at the club imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Liverpool are in a cup final position now. A cup final at home, against a relegated team with nothing to play for. If they don't win that game they don't deserve top 4 IMO. From last year's position to this years' has been a huge improvement regardless of top 4 or not. Finishing above a team like United where if you scroll up you will see were huge favourites on here to win the whole thing pre-season is a terrific achievement given the gap in resources and squad depth.

It's been a really fun season overall. Well done to Swansea for completely turning it around after looking like shoe-in's for relegation pre-Christmas. Sunderland's lives have run out and neither Hull nor Boro gambled enough to stay up, kind of seemed like they were afraid to push the boat out too much in case they got relegated and will probably stand to them next season that they didn't blow crazy money trying to stay up.

Spurs and Chelsea were both a class above everybody else and I'm delighted Chelsea won it, fully deserved and proving that last season was a blip. They have to be very careful of City and Spurs next season though, I think those 3 will be the strongest with the other 3 needing real squad changes in the summer to catch up. Liverpool need a brain, Arsenal need courage, and United need a heart.

Looking forward to seeing Brighton next season, always root for the teams that haven't played PL football before - so also hoping Huddersfield win the playoffs.

This is a quite brilliant reply to that C U Next Tuesday, Piers Moron

https://twitter.com/KillaScorp/status/863833673094844417

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

title, relegation and top 4 all decided. going to be a pretty non-eventful last day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

11 points between 8th and relegation doesn't really paint too good a picture about the quality of the league this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

rob316 wrote: »
    title, relegation and top 4 all decided. going to be a pretty non-eventful last day.

Top 4 isn't decided yet

8-10 wrote: »
    Top 4 isn't decided yet

In fairness I think it is easy to forget Middlesbrough exist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

3rd place will definitely be alive going into Week38. Gives auto CL qualification which 4th doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    3rd place will definitely be alive going into Week38. Gives auto CL qualification which 4th doesn't.

If United win the Europa they get the auto place and 3rd &4th both go to playoffs I think

In fairness I think it is easy to forget Middlesbrough exist!

It's harder remember their manager's name. There is a difficult quiz in the waiting;
    'Can you name these 20 caretaker managers'

astradave wrote: »
    If United win the Europa they get the auto place and 3rd &4th both go to playoffs I think

No, only 4th will be in the playoff even if United win. Top 3 qualifying automatically was ringfenced, even if United and Leicester both won their Euro comps.

Can someone tell me what rank the Europa winners will be in their group? I mean what seeding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Can someone tell me what rank the Europa winners will be in their group? I mean what seeding?

There isn't a 'reserved' spot. They won't be in Pot 1 as that's now Champions and Holders only. Outside of that it depends on a teams coefficient, so you would imagine Man U could be in Pot 2.

They'll be in Seeding Pot 2,3 or 4 depending on their own coefficient, theres no set seeding for the Europa winner if that's what you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea

As it stands, if Utd win the EL, they will be in pot 2, I think.

I've got Barca, Atletcio, PSG, Dortmund, Sevilla, Man City, Porto, Man Utd as 2nd seeds.

If its Ajax, theyre likely to go into pot 3.

If Arsenal get 4th and qualify, theyed be pot 2 and Utd would be pot 3.

Spurs will be pot 3 and Liverpool, depending on the qualifiers, could be pot 3 or 4.

No two teams from the same country can be in the same group either.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Do Europa League winners go into pot 2 automatically, or do coefficients came into effect? I'd assumed Spurs would get 2nd seeds coming 2nd, but hadn't really given it much though. Will make for a very tough group if we are 3rd seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Chelsea
    Kiith wrote: »
    Do Europa League winners go into pot 2 automatically, or do coefficients came into effect? I'd assumed Spurs would get 2nd seeds coming 2nd, but hadn't really given it much though. Will make for a very tough group if we are 3rd seeds.
    Only champions of the top leagues and CL winners get into pot 1 and all others are done on the team coefficents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

More ****e spouted by the English media. Phil Thompson saying Crouch deserves credit for disguising his handball. 'Quick thinking'. This is the nation that still hasn't let a handball from 31 years ago go. English players can do no wrong

Chelsea
    Kiith wrote: »

Just looking at it, Pot 3 will have some serious teams in it.

Napoli, Shakthar, Zenit are all ahead of Spurs in the co-effecient and if Utd win the EL they'll be the 8th best 2nd pot side currently, if not, Napoli will take Utds spot in Pot 2, unless they win Serie A which is unlikely.

Pot 4 could have Liverpool, Roma, Celtic.

Monaco, if they don't win the league may be Pot 4, no? Or am I misinterpreting it?

Liverpool are definitely pot 4.

Monaco, if they don't win the league may be Pot 4, no? Or am I misinterpreting it?

Still a lot to know it will become more clearer over the summer when the qualifying rounds are played.

Liverpool may want to finish 3rd as there is a danger they could be unseeded in the play off round.

Pot 1 as it currently stands will be
    Real Madrid
    Bayern Munchen
    Chelsea
    Juventus
    Benfica
    AS Monaco
    Spartak Moscow
    Shakhtar Donetsk - Only if whoever wins Champions League also win their league

Chelsea

Monaco could be pot 4.They were this year anyway, in Spurs group.

But theyve a game in hand over PSG, about 20 goals better off and a 3 points up. So theres not a hope in hell they'll throw away the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Here are the coefficients http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

From a PL perspective

Chelsea Pot 1 as champions
    Tottenham Likely Pot 3, Pot 2 if both Man Utd and Napoli don't qualify
    Man City Pot 2
    Liverpool Likely Pot 3
    Arsenal Pot 2
    Man Utd Pot 2

GavRedKing wrote: »

But theyve a game in hand over PSG, about 20 goals better off and a 3 points up. So theres not a hope in hell they'll throw away the league.

Yeah, most definitely not. Their 2 mid table opponents have absolutely nothing to play for either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If Liverpool qualified​ then they'll be Pot 3 won't they? I thought the Europa run last year boosted out coefficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

GavRedKing wrote: »

Would their improved co-efficient from this year's run push them into a higher pot?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    If Liverpool qualified​ then they'll be Pot 3 won't they? I thought the Europa run last year boosted out coefficient.

well, not according to the coefficient table at present, where they lie 34th. I think they will need a large number of the teams above them in the coefficient table not to qualify straight into the groups (or maybe it is into the groups at all?) in order for them to get into the 3rd pot.

Fiorentina, Villareal, Lyon won't be in Champ League definitely next year so that will help them rise in coefficient table.

Sure Liverpool may not even get beyond the qualifiers/playoff (or even into the qualfiers!!) so they shouldn't worry about that yet!

greendom wrote: »
    Would their improved co-efficient from this year's run push them into a higher pot?

They are on 62.333 it is hard to tell now you have to wait until you know when the leagues have finished for a better idea, seeding for the 1st qualifying round has not even be sorted yet and people are talking about the group stage pots already.

What i do know is that Celtic will be seeded in the 2nd round while Dundalk will not be so that could be a draw

well, not according to the coefficient table at present, where they lie 34th. I think they will need a large number of the teams above them in the coefficient table not to qualify straight into the groups (or maybe it is into the groups at all?) in order for them to get into the 3rd pot.

Fiorentina, Villareal, Lyon won't be in Champ League definitely next year so that will help them rise in coefficient table.

Sure Liverpool may not even get beyond the qualifiers/playoff (or even into the qualfiers!!) so they shouldn't worry about that yet!

Liverpool will be between pots 3&4 it all depends on what happens in the qualification. If Liverpool finish in top 4

At present there is only 1 team in the champions route that have a higher seeding than Liverpool so if Liverpool do make it that is 4 teams already behind them add on both Feyenoord and RB Leipzig who are already in the group stage and in pot 4 that is 6 teams in pot 4. So Liverpool only need two more teams with a lower seeding than them to get into pot 3

In fact the Turkish champions will have a lower seeding than Liverpool so that is 7 teams, depending on who wins the Belgium league that could be the 8 teams in Pot 4 so Liverpool would be in Pot 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They might not qualify at all yet, hence why I said "If"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

At present there is only 1 team in the champions route that have a higher seeding than Liverpool so if Liverpool do make it that is 4 teams already behind them add on both Feyenoord and RB Leipzig who are already in the group stage and in pot 4 that is 6 teams in pot 4. So Liverpool only need two more teams with a lower seeding than them to get into pot 3

Are RB Leipzig even allowed in competition? Has there been a definitive decision on that?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    They might not qualify at all yet, hence why I said "If"

I know, I was only joking f you read the last line!!

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Are RB Leipzig even allowed in competition? Has there been a definitive decision on that?

No idea, i am just going on how the current set up looks with how all the leagues stand at present

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Chelsea
    Bridge93 wrote: »

It will be one of RB Leipzig or RB Salzburg, probably Leipzig

It will be one of RB Leipzig or RB Salzburg, probably Leipzig

It will probably be Salzburg, logically. Unless they are both allowed in or the owners are given the choice.

The decision should have been made or rigurously investigated a long time ago, since Leipzig was even founded initially, arguably. Very unfair even to the players, backroom team and, arguably, the owners themselves to not know where they stand.

I feel most sorry for Salzburg though, the fans mainly. They are a longstanding club who have merely gained large investment (which, of course is great) but not very fair if they are ommitted from European football as it is their team they follow, not Red Bull's owner's wallet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement