Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Be hilarious if City conceded another. Would make things super interesting. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Pep referring to City not being a "big club" was a bad choice of words!

Yep.

He has stated though before similar words to that effect. He sees his role there as establishing an identity and philosophy for the club. Really feel he could do with more PR training over the summer tho.

Ali El Habsi played an absolute stormer in the Playoff tonight! Great end to end game! Some absolute sitters missed.

Did Zab just say "this little club" ? Or was that my ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Manchester United

Not what he said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

He wont. A young GK will think seriously but joining.

We probably need an experienced GK looking for a payday thats still capable when needed. Begovic is ideal but I can see him leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Turtwig wrote: »
    Be hilarious if City conceded another. Would make things super interesting. :D
    Sorry to burst your bubble.

blueser wrote: »
    Sorry to burst your bubble.

Don't be. I was just hoping for some late drama in either of the games. Ye fully deserved the win. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Pickford would be a fool to go to Chelsea or United to play second fiddle he will go somewhere where he will be number one capable of being first choice with City,Liverpool,Arsenal and any other premier league team other then Spurs,United,Chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Pickford would be a fool to go to Chelsea or United to play second fiddle he will go somewhere where he will be number one capable of being first choice with City,Liverpool,Arsenal and any other premier league team other then Spurs,United,Chelsea
    Agreed. He'd be wasted sitting on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

He wouldn't be first choice at Southampton or Stoke either. Debateable about a few more too at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Going by the last 5 years the big clubs in Europe are certainly not in England.
    City now aren't a Bayern or Barca so it's not like he can stand there comparing them & talk out his hole like most managers would.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Yep.

He has stated though before similar words to that effect. He sees his role there as establishing an identity and philosophy for the club. Really feel he could do with more PR training over the summer tho.

Ha, in fairness, he did wink at the journalist and say "there is your headline for tomorrow" (ie NOT A BIG CLUB)

But it isn't the first time he has referred to the club as small and how he wants to make them big and a success. It isn't as if City have been devoid of success the last 7 years or so.

It comes across as very much an ego project for him at times with the endless waffle about how much he has learnt this season, how much tthe experience will make him a better manager suggests he sees his City contract as some sort of self improvement course and one for the CV!

Many fans get really p1ssed off with him for saying the fans don't create the right atmosphere and that they don't have the history clubs like Man Utd and Liverpool have. City Fans are very proud and condescending statements like that for a man who has, lets admit it, been disappointing relative to expectancy and hype and money must be soul draining at times.

At the end of the day, he gets paid millions for the privilege of being part of the club, some fans have to pay decent portions of their wages following them so diverting attention to atmosphere and empty seats is pretty disrespectful at times.

He took over from 2 managers that brought the club success, that the club fans really took to. Mancini who the fans dubbed "Bobby" and had a great admiration of and vice versa was particularly loved so he needs to realise a bond with the fans is important.

Anyway, context, I don't think you can judge a manager properly until he has had two or three seasons, wiped out most of the squad and had 3/4 of a billion pounds to spend on players who will be earning half a million each a week!. Some fans are to quick to judge...... :D (that one is for you AIG!)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Bridge93 wrote: »
    He wouldn't be first choice at Southampton or Stoke either. Debateable about a few more too at the minute
    Definitely could overtake Butland and Forster if he keeps playing the way he is and realistically would get more of a chance with them teams as opposed to De Gea and Courtois who's places are etched in stone. He's better than anything the majority have anyways in the league I hope wherever he goes it's where he will be or become first choice very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

United might be loosing De Gea so he could push for first team football there. Arsenal might be a much better place though as Cech won't be around for many more seasons.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Manchester United
    Prize money in the PL this season.

1 38m
    2 36.1m
    3 34.2m
    4 32.3m
    5 30.4m
    6 28.5m
    7 26.6m
    8 24.7m
    9 22.8m
    10 20.9m
    11 19m
    12 17.1m
    13 15.2m
    14 13.3m
    15 11.4m
    16 9.5m
    17 7.6m
    18 5.7m
    19 3.8m
    20 1.9m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

That's only for finishing positions.
    The equal share & TV money (games shown in TV) are added too.

Sunderland will get at least about 60 million

Sanchez has scored 28 goals and 16 assists, jesus, where would Arsenal have been in his absence. And, more aptly, looking forward what will he cost. Arsenal aren't going to let him go for anything but a pretty dollar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Sanchez has scored 28 goals and 16 assists, jesus, where would Arsenal have been in his absence. And, more aptly, looking forward what will he cost. Arsenal aren't going to let him go for anything but a pretty dollar

Well he does only have 1 year left & arsenal haven't a great record in getting massive money for players in that situation, fabregas + rvp especially.

Their saying they'll keep him & ozil - he's in the last year too - whatever the bids. Sanchez will stay if offered enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea

12months left on his deal.

It wont be a PL side so thats abroad and given he could sign a pre-contract in January and leave for feck all in the summer, I dont think it will be massive money.

Thats if he doesnt sign an extension BTW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

ahem...! :D

Sure maybe he is God's gift!

You think I would have learned from the other lunatic :(
    Although, maybe it was me motivating him :cool:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Manchester United
    batistuta9 wrote: »
    That's only for finishing positions.
    The equal share & TV money (games shown in TV) are added too.

Sunderland will get at least about 60 million

Obviously. Between all I think this year it'll be much higher than 60m for last place.

• Chelsea
    Any bookies got a price on the likelihood of a play-off happening for 4th?

A playoff can only happen if :

Liverpool lose 0-2
    Arsenal draw 1-1

Not sure if bookies have specific odds on a playoff bit you could do a double on the above mentioned scorelines which would be pretty hefty odds I'd imagine

Edit. 1432/1 with Bet Victor

• Chelsea
    Worth a euro....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    Jesus that's mad odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    A playoff can only happen if :

Liverpool lose 0-2
    Arsenal draw 1-1

Not sure if bookies have specific odds on a playoff bit you could do a double on the above mentioned scorelines which would be pretty hefty odds I'd imagine

Edit. 1432/1 with Bet Victor

It could also happen if Liverpool lose 1-3 and Arsenal draw 2-2 and with 2-4, 3-3 scorelines etc. I guess these are even more unlikely than 0-2 and 1-1, but probably brings overall odds down to around 1000/1.

There could also be a tie for 3rd place if City draw 3-3 and Liverpool win 3-0 (or 4-4 and 4-1, etc.). I imagine the odds against that are even greater than the odds against a tie for 4th.

If they do tie for 3rd, will there be a play off to determine who gets the automatic place in the group stages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Any bookies got a price on the likelihood of a play-off happening for 4th?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39944529

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just two more post match "we didn't want to finish top four anyway" type interviews from Mourinho to get through now for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

monkey9 wrote: »
    Just two more post match "we didn't want to finish top four anyway" type interviews from Mourinho to get through now for the season.

And only one from Klopp :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Harry Kane, he scores when he likes.

Manchester United
    Jamie Vardy, he dives when he likes

Tottenham Hotspur, they fall short when they like!

Manchester United
    Epic team goal finished off by son 2 nil well deserved should be double

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Spurs, City and Pool have all scored 75 goals this season, Arse 74.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Tottenham are miles ahead of them but Leicester don't care. Some of the performances of the teams from West Brom down is pretty pathetic to watch the last month or so.
    Looking at Mahrez I can't think of many who'd pay what Leicester would want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

ERG89 wrote: »
    Tottenham are miles ahead of them but Leicester don't care. Some of the performances of the teams from West Brom down is pretty pathetic to watch the last month or so.
    Looking at Mahrez I can't think of many who'd pay what Leicester would want.

He is a one season wonder, any decent team should not go near him. I have a feeling he could be poison in a dressing room also. Spurs are just oozing class tonight, fantastic to watch :)

KingdomYid wrote: »
    He is a one season wonder, any decent team should not go near him. I have a feeling he could be poison in a dressing room also. Spurs are just oozing class tonight, fantastic to watch :)

Based on what???? If you read through colleague and backroom staff sources, it makes a mockery of that "feeling"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Based on what???? If you read through colleague and backroom staff sources, it makes a mockery of that "feeling"

Nope havent read any of those nor have any interest in reading them. My impression came from the fact he downed tools for his manager for half a season.

• Advertisement

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Nope havent read any of those nor have any interest in reading them. My impression came from the fact he downed tools for his manager for half a season.

Who said he intentionally downed tools? Oh, yeah, The Daily Mirror and Graham Souness. :rolleyes:

Manchester United
    Kane now joint pl top scorer.

Fill your boots kiddo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

ERG89 wrote: »
    Tottenham are miles ahead of them but Leicester don't care. Some of the performances of the teams from West Brom down is pretty pathetic to watch the last month or so. .

I heard the notion on the radio last night about introducing a playoff for the last champions league place. It seems it happens in other leagues (Belgium?), it's up to the League how they select the teams. Would keep interest in the mid table teams, 7th could make the champions league, rather than packing it in in mid February

davycc wrote: »
    Kane now joint pl top scorer.

Fill your boots kiddo

Both only 23 as well.

Manchester United
    Both only 23 as well.

Came up on my sky sports after his second that he was the joint top scorer in pl

davycc wrote: »
    Came up on my sky sports after his second that he was the joint top scorer in pl

no, I mean age! Him and Rom Luk!

Manchester United
    Son got his 21st goal of the season not bad for a bench warmer lol

Leicester downing tools for Shakespeare after he helped save them from relegation.. Traitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I really like watching Spurs but they have to be a lot wiser with big money next season. Both Sissoko and Janssen have been disasters, Sissoko especially was atrocious transfer business. He wasn't even useful as a sub this season.

Manchester United
    What a rocket from Kane! Top scorer outright in the pl and well deserved if hopefully he retains the golden boot

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement