Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

1. Bayer Leverkusen eliminated them in the group stage of the UCL.
    2. Gent immediately eliminated them from the UEL.
    3. They finish 2nd and trophyless.

If Arsenal, Manchester City or Manchester United did these things people criticize them. People would say their managers should get fired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Thats some brilliant moving of goal posts, I'll give ya that. :D

I've no problem people saying Spurs were the better side, they still finished 2nd over 38 games whcih is the most important stat.

I'd happily be considered the 2nd best side but actually 1st in the league every year, I'm sure everyone would.

I don't even think they were to be honest. Perception in the premier league always favors strong finishers, with the mainstream media (and fans, often) seemingly only having a memory of a few weeks most of the time.

Spurs may have been better for the final run (and they definitely have been brilliant), but all in all Chelsea spent a larger chunk of the season being the best. I mean, that's why they won the thing. Recency bias just goes against them a wee bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

764dak wrote: »
    1. Bayer Leverkusen eliminated them in the group stage of the UCL.
    2. Gent immediately eliminated them from the UEL.
    3. They finish 2nd and trophyless.

If Arsenal, Manchester City or Manchester United did these things people criticize them. People would say their managers should get fired.

The differences are of resources and trajectory.

Spurs are obviously making progress.

Having said that, they didn't improve the squad that much last summer and it'll be even harder next time around.

Their biggest problem now is that they've an excellent, balanced squad, but not that many absolutely top class players.

Need a couple more worldies on the level of Kane to really take the next step and they need to hold on to them long enough to gain momentum to not sink back down again.

That'll be tricky having to juggle new grounds both next season and the one after.
    If they're plunedered of Alli and Kane in that time then they could well drop again without really having acheived anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

764dak wrote:

If Spurs performed as bad as them in the league I'd be more critical but unlike them Spurs actually improved this year. For the money spent at City they never challenged in the league beyond October.
    Arsenal could end up without a manager anyway, losing their best player, winning no trophy & being in the Europa league.
    United spent a lot & changed their manager but focused on the Europa League as it was far easier than the league for them.
    Spurs didn't have to focus on the Europa League as the prize is essentially a CL group stage spot first & a trophy second. They lost to Chelsea in the FA Cup but it's hardly something I'd lose sleep over. Van gaal won it last year & still got sacked before that Arsenal won 2 which brought them absolutely zero success to build on.

ERG89 wrote: »
    If Spurs performed as bad as them in the league I'd be more critical but unlike them Spurs actually improved this year. For the money spent at City they never challenged in the league beyond October.
    Arsenal could end up without a manager anyway, losing their best player, winning no trophy & being in the Europa league.
    United spent a lot & changed their manager but focused on the Europa League as it was far easier than the league for them.
    Spurs didn't have to focus on the Europa League as the prize is essentially a CL group stage spot first & a trophy second. They lost to Chelsea in the FA Cup but it's hardly something I'd lose sleep over. Van gaal won it last year & still got sacked before that Arsenal won 2 which brought them absolutely zero success to build on.

Arsenal finished second last season which was an improvement over the previous season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

764dak wrote:
    Arsenal finished second last season which was an improvement over the previous season.

Were they in the title race despite being second? No.
    Even Ty would say it was a false position. Opposition fans are joking calling for Wenger to stay for a reason as they know the direction they've gone in the last few years.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Manchester United

It's not all about position, although it is the most important thing. Second on 71 points is very much the exception in recent years.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

5starpool wrote: »
    It's not all about position, although it is the most important thing. Second on 71 points is very much the exception in recent years.
    Would get you a Jose finish in 6th year. Last year was a bit of an outlier for being a poor season in general to be fair.

So Arsenal improved from last year then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

As 5Star said, "It's not all about position, although it is the most important thing"

Certainly wouldn't say they've improved, but neither would I say they've particularly regressed since last season. They're just doing what they do these days... drifting along without ever looking like pushing on. Both have been disappointing seasons - I don't think too many Arsenal fans would say they were happy with 2nd 12 months ago given the weakness of the league last year. I think they'd have been happy about the actual position, but annoyed about the team and the lack of progression over a number of years.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Manchester United

They have more points. Last year they were the best of a very poor rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

They have more points. Last year they were the best of a very poor rest.

The reason they have more points, like most "top" clubs is because the quality of the lower half of the league clubs has degenerated from last season, not that Arsenal have generally improved.
    Arsenal most definitely haven't improved, especially relatively to the top clubs in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Blast from the (relatively recent) past, Julio Arca playing for South Shields in the FA Vast final at Wembley at the min. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Guardian have an article about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Can't say I'll miss this season, good riddance to bad rubbish.

Manchester United
    Arsenal ahead, guaranteed to nick top four no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Kane with another two already. Monster.

Kane, two goal already!!!

Better than Shearerl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Assuming he stays, Aguero and Jesus could be quite a combination next season. Correct me if I'm wrong but are Liverpool going out as things stand?

• Advertisement

Brilliant goal by Harrop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Jaysus hard to keep track of Kane.
    I feel he would have had 30 in the but for his couple of months out injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Kompany has been some loss to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

davycc wrote: »
    Jaysus hard to keep track of Kane.
    I feel he would have had 30 in the but for his couple of months out injured

He might just do it today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Another assist for KDB

Nothing to play for bar this Arsenal/Liverpool scenario but lots of goals! I am enjoying it!

• Advertisement

Presumably if Sunderland were fighting for survival this 5 minute circus wouldn't have been entertained?

If Terry had picked squad number 89 all those years ago he could have played pretty much the whole game :)

Terry coming off in the 26th minute (his jersey number) is the most pathetic, cringeworthy thing I have ever seen! As much as I dislike the guy, I thought he would have had a bit more in him than that nonsense!

Terry coming off in the 26th minute (his jersey number) is the most pathetic, cringeworthy thing I have ever seen! As much as I dislike the guy, I thought he would have had a bit more in him than that nonsense!

You do remember the whole meme thing he created at that UCL final right? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

It's a shambles that Terry played 26mins for no reason, messed my bet right up.

Watford have taken an early season break it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The guard of honour was laughable. I hope they cleared that with Sunderland first.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Watford have taken an early season break it seems.

I keep flicking back to check and missing the goals. Only for I've seen him I'd have thought they were trying a new formation that doesn't use a keeper.

Manchester United
    Liverpool are through now.

Manchester United
    Great goal Liverpool up

Pool deserved that tbh.

Manchester United
    Spurs 3 up missed the scorer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Turtwig wrote: »
    You do remember the whole meme thing he created at that UCL final right? :D

Of course, he seems like such a twat. And that is forgetting all the off the pitch c*ntishness. Good thing he was such a top player as a guy like that with such a strange narcissistic attitude wouldn't last too well in the real world!

26................More like his IQ, it seems.

That sh*t is anti-football!

I hope the official stats say he was subbed in the 27th minute!! :D
    Cool story bro

Lukker- wrote: »
    Cool story bro

Hilarious reply "bro"....
    Not as hilarious as your last post

It was the cringiest, most pathetic way to finish your last game. Maybe it had you in tears, "bro", so, as a Chelsea fan, that is all that matters!

Want referring to that post 'bruh'

Hilarious reply "bro"....
    Cool story bro
    It was the cringiest, most pathetic way to finish your last game. Maybe it had you in tears, "bro", so, as a Chelsea fan, that is all that matters!

Mod: This by far is even cringier. Please stop.

• Advertisement

Give it a rest pals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

And finally the day has come - the defeat of Wengerball. The decision to make stagnation acceptable and somehow posit it as success year after year was bound to catch up eventually. The best thing Arsenal can do now is to make a break and force the end of this period.

Hazard 2-1.

Lovely goal

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    And finally the day has come - the defeat of Wengerball. The decision to make stagnation acceptable and somehow posit it as success year after year was bound to catch up eventually. The best thing Arsenal can do now is to make a break and force the end of this period.

What's this "Arsenal" you speak of? The club is still running perfectly within their aims and goals.

What's this "Arsenal" you speak of? The club is still running perfectly within their aims and goals.

Believe me, I feel and understand your frustration. Business before competition is a terrible thing within sport.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Stagnation of 20 years qualifying for the cl and winning the league a few times sounds good to me ...........

You saying you'd rather have Liverpools last 20 years of pl finishes?

Stagnation of 20 years qualifying for the cl and winning the league a few times sounds good to me ...........

You saying you'd rather have Liverpools last 20 years of pl finishes?

The first ten years of his reign was tremendous. The last ten years have brought no league titles and no ability to push on and scale the mountaintop. Liverpool, for all their failings, have come closer to the league twice in the last ten years than Wenger did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Nearly didn't win the race, but almost did.

Manchester United
    Spurs 5 nil up Kane hatrick

• Advertisement

When are the fixtures out? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement