Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

martyos121 wrote: »
    That seems far more likely. Or maybe he got Barton to do it for him. :pac:

but the FA will do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Tottenham
    blueser wrote: »
    Just read on Twitter that the Chelsea PA announcer was gloating over Arsenal not qualifying for the CL, and about Koscielny being banned for the cup final. That's not true, surely?

I'm not surprised about that tbh. I seem to remember when Ashley Cole signed for Chelsea, that when the teams were announced at Stamford Bridge against Arsenal that season, he screamed " and at number 3 the best left back in the world Ashley Cole!!" Classy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Agreeing to go along with that embarrassing stunt sums up the season for Sunderland and David Moyes.

Our fans are fantastic but the club are dog**** on the Premier League shoe and won't be missed at all.

Imagine what Roy Keane would have said when asked if he would go along with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

monkey9 wrote: »
    By all accounts, Moyes said afterwards that they agreed to kick the ball out in the 26th minute to allow Chelsea commence with the embarrassing charade.

Anyone have a bet on a throw in the 26th min?

Edit. Beaten to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

According to some he went off in the 28th minute by the time it all the crap around it happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Manchester United
    Depends if JT tolds his mates to put a bet on it

If you knew it was happening though you could get on it using the "next minute" market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool win three trophies today

Top 4 cup, plus fair play and TV money trophies! :pac:

fair_play.jpg

14953637779104.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

zerks wrote: »
    'This isn't Hollywood' - Terry's guard of honour bemuses pundits.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39992689

https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/866314092901879810
    "And there he goes, maybe the single biggest twat the league has ever known..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Burial. wrote: »

What was Arsenal record before that? Quite a bit more than 7 I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

emmetkenny wrote: »

20 years I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Looking at the table there, do you think it "doesn't lie" or view that as too simplistic a take on it?

I think the best 4 teams definetly finished in the top 4 and I'd also say the worst 3 teams got relegated despite hull looking quite good at times under the new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

emmetkenny wrote: »

20 something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'm not surprised about that tbh. I seem to remember when Ashley Cole signed for Chelsea, that when the teams were announced at Stamford Bridge against Arsenal that season, he screamed " and at number 3 the best left back in the world Ashley Cole!!" Classy :rolleyes:

Just shows, no amount of crooked, laundered Russian money can buy class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Billy86 wrote: »
    "And there he goes, maybe the single biggest twat the league has ever known..."
    To be fair, he has some stiff competition for that accolade!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Just shows, no amount of crooked, laundered Russian money can buy class.

Lol!
    Trophy cabinet's getting filled though so it's all good bud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

gfx-premier-league-goals-201617_1m48e0iehmeo71mqb7upsdjawn.jpg?t=733889684

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Tottenham
    Duck Soup wrote: »
    gfx-premier-league-goals-201617_1m48e0iehmeo71mqb7upsdjawn.jpg?t=733889684

0 trophies.......

0 trophies.......

But Champions League football to look forward to next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Is the Golden Boot not a physical trophy? Is it a turn of phrase or an actual trophy?
    Seen as the image is about Harry Kane and not Spurs I would've thought that is more relevant

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Is the Golden Boot not a physical trophy? Is it a turn of phrase or an actual trophy?
    Seen as the image is about Harry Kane and not Spurs I would've thought that is more relevant
    032E7ADD000003E8-4527312-image-a-7_1495374653277.jpg

032E7ADD000003E8-4527312-image-a-7_1495374653277.jpg

What I thought. Don't see how Spurs not winning a trophy takes away from Kane's achievement. If that were the case why bother with the Golden Boot and just give it to the top scorer of first place.
    29 goals in 30 games is outstanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Kane's 7 goals in his last two matches were so jammy tho, knockabouting against non-existent defences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Kane's 7 goals in his last two matches were so jammy tho, knockabouting against non-existent defences.

Still 23 from 30, nothing to be sniffed at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What I thought. Don't see how Spurs not winning a trophy takes away from Kane's achievement. If that were the case why bother with the Golden Boot and just give it to the top scorer of first place.
    29 goals in 30 games is outstanding

Genuinely incredible. Especially for a player without too much in the way of searing pace - just means every other aspect of his game has to be that much sharper. His accuracy with quickly taken shots is just fantastic.

Always hated that argument - every other team got to play against those two defenses twice each season, there's nothing jammy about it. Spurs also scored more on Leicester than Atletico, City and Arsenal did over four total games - in their last 10 games not including the Spurs match (6 scored), Leicester have only conceded 12 goals.

He got 35 goals, 29 in the league and won the golden boot despite missing around 2 months of the year with injury. That's an excellent achievement from probably the best under 25 #9 in the world, a position where to my mind he has already surpassed Owen and Rooney as England's best since Shearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

In Kane's defence most of the league wasn't trying for a few weeks he just took advantage of it. On that note until yesterday I had no clue Lescott was at Sunderland. After seeing Pedro's goal I know why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

John Terry arranged the guard of honour himself.Really does tell you a lot about him.The fact that the other players went along with is fairly embarassing.

One of the most embarrassing, cringe worthy things I've seen happen.

Although was in no way surprised considering the individual involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

TheDoc wrote: »
    One of the most embarrassing, cringe worthy things I've seen happen.

Although was in no way surprised considering the individual involved.

He organized getting subbed off on the 26th minute, the guard of honor was the players and Conte's 'surprise' for him that he knew nothing off.

The fauxrage reaction is much cringier than the event itself, and the only reason it provoked such an extreme reaction was the individual himself, one final chance to get a dig in to the best defender of the PL era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lukker- wrote: »
    He organized getting subbed off on the 26th minute, the guard of honor was the players and Conte's 'surprise' for him that he knew nothing off.

The fauxrage reaction is much cringier than the event itself, and the only reason it provoked such an extreme reaction was the individual himself, one final chance to get a dig in to the best defender of the PL era.

This seems unbiased

pjohnson wrote: »
    This seems unbiased

Ha!

And all the other posts are written without a hint of negative bias?

G'man.

Ha!

And all the other posts are written without a hint of negative bias?

G'man.

Even chelsea fans have admitted its cringeworthy. So your whole "leave him alone" thing is just a bit daft.

Even chelsea fans have admitted its cringeworthy. So your whole "leave him alone" thing is just a bit daft.

That's some liberal use of paraphrasing right there.

Fits your posting style though.

Fits your posting style though.

Jaysus you are a bit sensitive this morning. Fact is a lot of players bid farewell to their clubs yesterday. Only one was pompous enough to have such a ceremony mid match. It was daft.

Jaysus you are a bit sensitive this morning. Fact is a lot of players bid farewell to their clubs yesterday. Only one was pompous enough to have such a ceremony mid match. It was daft.

Tis midday, and I'm always like this :p

No player retired yesterday that came close to making the same contribution to their club as himself though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Always hated that argument - every other team got to play against those two defenses twice each season, there's nothing jammy about it. Spurs also scored more on Leicester than Atletico, City and Arsenal did over four total games - in their last 10 games not including the Spurs match (6 scored), Leicester have only conceded 12 goals.

He got 35 goals, 29 in the league and won the golden boot despite missing around 2 months of the year with injury. That's an excellent achievement from probably the best under 25 #9 in the world, a position where to my mind he has already surpassed Owen and Rooney as England's best since Shearer.
    Not arguing with his overall stats, just that these type of dead matches can lead to totals being artificially inflated. I remember Shearer knocking in 5 against a team of Sheff Wed stiffs and these end up having the same value in his career total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No player retired yesterday that came close to making the same contribution to their club as himself though.

He's not even retiring .

I've always been a massive fan of terry as a player but jesus that crap yesterday was horse****.

He's not even England's third best defender since 2000 (Ferdinand, Campbell). Excellent defender in his prime but a certain step down from those two.

Maybe I missed it but I don't see much outrage, just people mocking him like they did with the "full kit w*nker" incident after the EL final a few years back.

• Advertisement

John Terry did not retire. Well Rooney manage to become his highest so thats quite a contribution to his club. He got an ovation but that was it.

To be fair there's a difference between Rooney and terry in my view.
    1. Rooney hasn't said he's actually leaving yet.
    2. Terry captained the whole way through this successful period. Rooney hasn't to the same extent.
    3. Terry has led chelseas most successful period ever. For right or wrong the United success won't be viewed as significant as it's just a continuation of the dominance they had for years beforehand.

You could say united have had many Rooney but Chelsea have only had a handful of Terrys

He's not even England's third best defender since 2000 (Ferdinand, Campbell). Excellent defender in his prime but a certain step down from those two.

Maybe I missed it but I don't see much outrage, just people mocking him like they did with the "full kit w*nker" incident after the EL final a few years back.

Campbell didn't come close to his career and Ferdinand was at his level for sure but didn't maintain it over the same period and never looked the same once he lost his pace.

To be fair there's a difference between Rooney and terry in my view.
    1. Rooney hasn't said he's actually leaving yet.
    2. Terry captained the whole way through this successful period. Rooney hasn't to the same extent.
    3. Terry has led chelseas most successful period ever. For right or wrong the United success won't be viewed as significant as it's just a continuation of the dominance they had for years beforehand.

You could say united have had many Rooney but Chelsea have only had a handful of Terrys

True but I was adressing the idea "no player made such a contribution" Rooney certainly did put himself in the clubs history.

Campbell didn't come close to his career and Ferdinand was at his level for sure but didn't maintain it over the same period and never looked the same once he lost his pace.
    Both at their best were better than Terry, during Chelsea's initial run in the mid 2000s I would probably put Carvalho above him too (though injuries might stand against that). Ferdinand was at that level for well over a decade and was class right up until 2013, and while shorter in span Campbell in the early 2000s might well be the best of all three of them in terms of peak. The guy was an infuriating f***ing wall to watch your team try and do something against. Of course there's always going to be subjectivity at this level but one thing is for certain... they were all clearly better than Carragher. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The funny thing is Chelsea fans are defending it because he was such a great defender! Which makes it all the more ridiculous seeming that such a thought went through his mind when he contacted Conte and set the plan in place, given the fact he felt he deserved it himself because he was so good!

Be a man, put in a shift on your last day and then get your deserved ovation into the second half like every other professional footballer.

I don't know why Chelsea fans feel obliged to defend the pantomine, especially those who can't defend it logically without making smart comments at the posters mocking it!

It's nothing personal!

• Advertisement

Both at their best were better than Terry, during Chelsea's initial run in the mid 2000s I would probably put Carvalho above him too (though injuries might stand against that). Ferdinand was at that level for well over a decade and was class right up until 2013, and while shorter in span Campbell in the early 2000s might well be the best of all three of them in terms of peak. The guy was an infuriating f***ing wall to watch your team try and do something against. Of course there's always going to be subjectivity at this level but one thing is for certain... they were all clearly better than Carragher. :D

It's all certainly subjective. I'd personally take the guy who made 5 consecutive FIFpro World XI's and was the bedrock of the best defense the league has seen (conceded 15 goals).

It's all certainly subjective. I'd personally take the guy who made 5 consecutive FIFpro World XI's and was the bedrock of the best defense the league has seen (conceded 15 goals).

And I'd take the guy who looked better while not playing in as defensive a setup, made more teams of the year, and did so without with arguably the best pure defensive midfielder of all time ahead of him (who played the larger role in that defensive record). Swings and roundabouts, though.

And I'd take the guy who looked better while not playing in as defensive a setup, made more teams of the year, and did so without with arguably the best pure defensive midfielder of all time ahead of him (who played the larger role in that defensive record). Swings and roundabouts, though.

United played defensive counter attacking football for a good portion of Ferdinand's career (when he looked at his best IMO).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Chelsea
    I think the big thing to come out of Chelsea - Sunderland for me, personally, was discovering that Sunderland have a player called Lynden Gooch.

Lynden Gooch!!!

He sounds like a German STD.

"What's wrong Maximus, you keep scratching yourself down there?"
    "Sorry Sebastian, I hooked up with a girl at the weekend, but I think she gave me lyndengooch..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Philip Lahm. Well, on Saturday. Didn't ask Freiburg to stop the match in the 21st minute in any case.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement