Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

He should have came off at 58 mins to signify his initials.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Pep doesn't think PL referee's are fit enough.

Got to say, I totally agree, you have guys like Jon Moss who certainly can't keep up with fast counter attacks and it certainly hinders the game.

They should have stricter fitness standards IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    He should have came off at 58 mins to signify his initials.

Needs explaining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Collie D wrote: »
    Needs explaining

Tongue in cheek but press 5 on a phone would give you J & 8 a T
    JT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lukker- wrote: »
    He organized getting subbed off on the 26th minute, the guard of honor was the players and Conte's 'surprise' for him that he knew nothing off.

The fauxrage reaction is much cringier than the event itself, and the only reason it provoked such an extreme reaction was the individual himself, one final chance to get a dig in to the best defender of the PL era.

There is no fauxrage what so ever, it was ridiculous when it happened and still is a day one looking back.

The only "faux" here at play was making that some monumental moment to go down in history or something. A player who yes was a great servant to the club, has finished up. And the club will still survive.

Plenty of important players have finished their playing time at clubs and gone about it the normal way, before the game, after the game, or taking a slow walk to rapturous applause from the crowd when being substituted.

This was totally ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Tongue in cheek but press 5 on a phone would give you J & 8 a T
    JT.

Ah, I was thinking 1 = A, 2 = B. EH would be pretty apt for yesterday's farewell in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

He organized getting subbed off on the 26th minute, the guard of honor was the players and Conte's 'surprise' for him that he knew nothing off.

The fauxrage reaction is much cringier than the event itself, and the only reason it provoked such an extreme reaction was the individual himself, one final chance to get a dig in to the best defender of the PL era.

I would have Tony Adams and Martin Keown before JT

Keown isn't even top 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Tis midday, and I'm always like this :p

No player retired yesterday that came close to making the same contribution to their club as himself though.

Phillip Lam says hello...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bookies paying out big sums for people who had the substitution backed. An embarrassing set of circumstances all round. Chelsea, Sunderland the Premier League for allowing it to happen while bleating on about the integrity of the game with betting etc.

• Advertisement

Phillip Lam says hello...

Saturday says hello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Corholio wrote: »
    Bookies paying out big sums for people who had the substitution backed. An embarrassing set of circumstances all round. Chelsea, Sunderland the Premier League for allowing it to happen while bleating on about the integrity of the game with betting etc.

If that is the case then they should have the book thrown at them after they did it with the Sutton keeper.

All that incident proved is how much of an ego Terry has, yesterday should have been about Chelsea winning the league and yet here we are talking about Terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Moyes resigns. Probably good news for Sunderland. His reign was summed up yesterday when he agreed to kick the ball out of play to take part in that facade

All that incident proved is how much of an ego Terry has, yesterday should have been about Chelsea winning the league and yet here we are talking about Terry.

Come one now, no one here would be talking about Chelsea winning the league regardless of what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

His reign was summed up when the team he took over was a squad of players befitting lower Championship level and he didn't have the imagination, backroom support, or player attitude required to survive.

Nothing to do with yesterday. Conte agreeing to the pantomine yesterday is worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Leicester
    If that is the case then they should have the book thrown at them after they did it with the Sutton keeper.

That's a bit harsh. I thought yesterdays tribute was inadequate and fleeting for a man who has put his body on the line for club and country for so long. Surely a more fitting and useful tribute would have been to install a few extra disabled parking spaces around the ground?

https://www.google.ie/search?q=John+Terry+parks+in+a+disabled+parking+space&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiglYve-IPUAhVNF8AKHeuMC1UQsAQIRg&biw=1440&bih=794

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

His reign was summed up when the team he took over was a squad of players befitting lower Championship level and he didn't have the imagination, backroom support, or player attitude required to survive.

Nothing to do with yesterday. Conte agreeing to the pantomine yesterday is worse.

Conte turned a blind eye to match fixing in the Serie A so it's not unsurprising he didn't really do anything here. Guard of Honour was reportedly the players or his idea.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Conte turned a blind eye to match fixing in the Serie A so it's not unsurprising he didn't really do anything here. Guard of Honour was reportedly the players or his idea.

He was cleared in a court of law of any wrong doing. So under boards rules is that not slander?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I got a good laugh out of it, suitably brash exit for the cockney wide-boy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Has he left the pitch yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So moving on from triggered Chelsea fans, have to say Bournemouth were quite a suprise package this year. Wonder how they will push on?

pjohnson wrote: »
    So moving on from triggered Chelsea fans, have to say Bournemouth were quite a suprise package this year. Wonder how they will push on?

Nice try

2fishing2.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Arsenal
    Laois_Man wrote: »
    Strange contributions. Most people have the same top 7 , just ordered differently, and don't have their "surprise team" even breaking that top 7.
    Some have their breakout player as players who already have senior England caps.
    One person even has a 'keeper brought in as reserve for a nominal fee listed as his flop of the season.

Anyway, here's mine

Winner: Chelsea
    Champions League spots (2nd, 3rd and 4th, in order): Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal
    Europa League spots (5th, 6th and possibly 7th, in order): Tottenham, Man City, Everton
    Relegation: Hull, Crystal Palace, Burnley

Top Goalscorer: Diego Costa
    Most Assists: Fabregas
    Player of the Year: Eden Hazard
    Young Player of the Year (U-23): Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Best Signing: Antonio Conte
    Biggest Flop: John Stones
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: John Stones
    Breakout Player: Andre Gray, Ben Gibson, Mason Holgate, Loftus-Cheek

Surprise Team (Good): Chelsea & Middlesbrough
    Surprise Team (Bad): Man City & West Ham
    First Managerial Casualty: Alan Pardew

Audacious Prediction of the Season: Man City to sack Guardiola after one season, or less.

Have to say, my predictions weren't too bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

pjohnson wrote: »

Just goal difference behind Soton which is telling of both sides who were effectively in a different division to everyone above them (15 point gap to Everton).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Just goal difference behind Soton which is telling of both sides who were effectively in a different division to everyone above them (15 point gap to Everton).

If they can keep Josh King be very interesting how they'll do. I never really noticed them much during the season but slow and steady certainly paid off for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

the best defender of the PL era.

Tony Adams and Rio Ferdinand were better than him. That's the first two names that came to my head. I'm sure there's been more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I think the best 4 teams definetly finished in the top 4 and I'd also say the worst 3 teams got relegated despite hull looking quite good at times under the new manager.
    Top 7 & the bottom 3 yeah but the rest is a bit?
    Watford aren't the 4th worst, some others now can't remember it right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Tony Adams and Rio Ferdinand were better than him. That's the first two names that came to my head. I'm sure there's been more.

Rio better than Terry?!

/Threads dun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Chelsea
    Panthro wrote: »
    Rio better than Terry?!

/Threads dun

Ferdinand is quite underrated, mainly due to his personality I think. He was a serious defender though and formed quite a formidable partnership with Vidic back in the day. I wish those two were in the United squad now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Rio better than Terry?!

/Threads dun

He was better than Terry. I didn't like Ferdinand at all but he's a better defender than Terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

emmetkenny wrote: »
    He was better than Terry. I didn't like Ferdinand at all but he's a better defender than Terry.

I'd have had vidic over him.
    And Terry marginally over Vidic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'd have had vidic over him.
    And Terry marginally over Vidic.
    Definitely Ferdinand over Vidic, he was a better reader of the game, a better organiser and leader of the defense, far less prone to do something rash, better in possession, a better overall athlete and a smarter all around player. Vidic and Terry were better in the air and had more 'highlight tackles', but that's because Ferdinand would snuff it out before anything last ditch was required. Second best CB of the century so far for me only behind Nesta, and the best CB in the history of Man Utd.

Not at all a slight on the other two, but if Ferdinand were Italian the praises sung about him would be endless - he fit the stereotype of an Italian defender very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ferdinand is like Scholes imo hugely underappreciated for the type of role he performed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I wouldn't. John Terry was named in a Fifa World XI five times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Chelsea
    Billy86 wrote: »
    Definitely Ferdinand over Vidic, he was a better reader of the game, a better organiser and leader of the defense, far less prone to do something rash, better in possession, a better overall athlete and a smarter all around player. Vidic and Terry were better in the air and had more 'highlight tackles', but that's because Ferdinand would snuff it out before anything last ditch was required. Second best CB of the century so far for me only behind Nesta, and the best CB in the history of Man Utd.

Not at all a slight on the other two, but if Ferdinand were Italian the praises sung about him would be endless - he fit the stereotype of an Italian defender very well.

He was pretty good at carrying the ball out from the back as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Rating Rio over the likes of Cannavaro is just embarrassing. Second best CB of the century me eye

Burial. wrote: »
    Rating Rio over the likes of Cannavaro is just embarrassing. Second best CB of the century me eye
    Afraid not. Cannavaro did have an excellent WC 2006, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

If it's quality of player you're talking about then IMHO Terry is not even Chelsea's best defender of the epl era. I'd have both carvalho and Desailly ahead of him. Desailly was truly world class, and Carvalho covered for Terry in his early days, sweeping up for him on many occasions.
    Where Terry trumps them was his longevity and ability to score from set pieces. He was always well protected by players like Makelele, Matic et al, who closed space around him and covered for his lack of pace. Was a powerful presence off the field, and heaven help any manager who he didn't like, as there was only one winner.
    While I'm obviously not a big fan, and doubt the accuracy of calling him a truly great player, one must recognise what he achieved in the game. For a player with some weaknesses in the game, he lasted a hell of a long time at or near the top, won all there was to win in European club football, and certainly made the most of whatever abilities he did have.
    His personality is a different thing, obviously many Chelsea fans have a different value system than I do, so there you go. It's a big world, and everyone to their own I guess.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I wouldn't. John Terry was named in a Fifa World XI five times.
    That's the same XI David Luiz got on before during his last season at Chelsea/first at PSG, isn't it?

• Advertisement

That's the same XI David Luiz got on before during his last season at Chelsea/first at PSG, isn't it?

Look at other members of the XI for any year Terry got in and tell me who didn't deserve to be there.

Terry was much more appreciated abroad than he was in England

Look at other members of the XI for any year Terry got in and tell me who didn't deserve to be there.

Terry was much more appreciated abroad than he was in England
    I also see Gerrard twice but Lampard and Pirlo only once, and no Scholes... also no Philippe Lahm before 2013 and Torres' second inclusion are a little baffling. I'm not saying it's not a worthwhile honour by the way, just that it's not exactly a be-all and end-all either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Winner: Man Utd
    Champions League spots (2nd, 3rd and 4th, in order): City, Arsenal, Chelsea
    Europa League spots (5th, 6th and possibly 7th, in order): Spurs, Pool, West Ham
    Relegation: Hull, Sunderland, Burnley

Top Goalscorer: Aguero
    Most Assists: Ozil
    Player of the Year: Aguero
    Young Player of the Year (U-23): Martial

Best Signing: Pogba
    Biggest Flop: Mkhitaryan
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Sanchez
    Breakout Player: Iheanacho

Surprise Team (Good): Swansea
    Surprise Team (Bad): Leicester
    First Managerial Casualty: Mazzari

Audacious Prediction of the Season: United will go close to breaking a points total record for a 38 game league this year IMO.

I couldnt have been more wrong if I tried. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

You got two of the three relegated teams right and you were right about Leicester.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Always hated that argument - every other team got to play against those two defenses twice each season, there's nothing jammy about it. Spurs also scored more on Leicester than Atletico, City and Arsenal did over four total games - in their last 10 games not including the Spurs match (6 scored), Leicester have only conceded 12 goals.

And Spurs couldn't score against Bayer Leverkusen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I think the gist of what folk are saying is that John Terry is not that likable, and the 28th minute charade was pitiful.

No fresh news then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's the one they announce with the Ballon d'Or

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Liamalone wrote: »
    I think the gist of what folk are saying is that John Terry is not that likable, and the 28th minute charade was pitiful.

No fresh news then.

And if you spin it around, such self centred play acting is why he isn't liked! Go out playing football, not a circus charade!

In fairness most other top players don't retire with such a high shirt number that they have worn for their whole career so it's probably stupid to say "would Rooney have came off in the 10th minute" etc as you know that would have been much more bizarre!

Nevertheless I doubt he seeks public approval and the pantomine made Chelsea fans emotional and they seemed to love him more for it so that's about all that matters in his mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

I came across this article while browsing the Internet this morning. Sums it up perfectly.

You can tell a lot about a man in the way he says goodbye.

John Terry stage-managed his own send-off from Chelsea this weekend with all the subtlety and grace of a hippopotamus at the wheel of a forklift truck.

Just as happened in Moscow in 2008, when he insisted on taking what he anticipated to be the Champions League winning penalty only to feel the ground slip from under him, the workings of hubris came back to cuff him resolutely round the ear.

His tearful 26th-minute send off, through a guard of honour of his colleagues, was meant to serve as an appropriate full stop to a wonderful, stellar, trophy-strewn career. Instead it looked cheap and contrived, sending a shiver of distaste down the spine of many observers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The sheer obsession over Terry's departure is significantly more annoying than Terry's departure, given the vast majority of us didn't watch the game so could easily be on with our lives.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement