Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ariva 4K Combo Satellite+Saorview+Android+KODI Box

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

satworld on kylemore rd near southside motor factors are doing the range of ferguson receivers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Problem solved, formatted drive to exfat and recognised HDD in DTV, despite manual recommending NTFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Problem solved, formatted drive to exfat and recognised HDD in DTV, despite manual recommending NTFS.

Glad you got it sorted.

I meant to ask if the box itself offered to set up the drive for its use but got busy ..... ;)

Glad you got it sorted.

I meant to ask if the box itself offered to set up the drive for its use but got busy ..... ;)

Nah put in drive unformatted and ariva didnt recognise it, had to be exfat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

May purchase this soon for my dad and play around with it for a while before setting it up in his house. Before i do any other combo boxes worth going for? Budget 200 wouldn't be to confident my dad using a linux box. All comments welcome. cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Picked one up and started to set it up yesterday.

First impressions:
    • Picture Quality is quite good(currently connected to a 1080p TV)
    • In a Freeview HD spillover area: FTA Satellite, Saorview and FreeviewHD channels all can be combined into one EPG.
    • Switching between channels can be slow (changing between Terrestrial and Satellite Channels is slower)
    • Terrestrial Channels can sometimes display black screen after watching Satellite channels for a time, a reboot tends to fix that.

More testing required:
    • Hard Drive: I installed a HDD internally, but the box didn't appear to pick it up - I'll need to check that it's formatted correctly, etc.
    • Recording options: I'll need to resolve the internal HDD before I test these options (e.g. if Series Link is available, if timer works ok).
    • Android Apps / Smart TV functions, etc.
    Having nothing but headaches with this box at the moment, I couldn't recommend it.
    • It loses channels after about 2-3 days, the EPG still remembers the channels, but there is no picture / sound (even with 90-95% signal)
    • If it doesn't lose all channels, it will stop receiving DTT Channels or it will stop receiving Satellite channels.
    • The box stops identifying DVB-T / DVB-T2 signal (even though the same cable works 100% in multiple other boxes)
    • Sound breaks up
    • Sound and Picture go out of sync

For the sound breakup or sync issues: Plugging the box out will resolve it for a couple of days.

For losing channels and signal: A rescan doesn't help, a factory reset of the box is the only thing that works ... for a few days.

Having nothing but headaches with this box at the moment, I couldn't recommend it.
    • It loses channels after about 2-3 days, the EPG still remembers the channels, but there is no picture / sound (even with 90-95% signal)
    • If it doesn't lose all channels, it will stop receiving DTT Channels or it will stop receiving Satellite channels.
    • The box stops identifying DVB-T / DVB-T2 signal (even though the same cable works 100% in multiple other boxes)
    • Sound breaks up
    • Sound and Picture go out of sync

For the sound breakup or sync issues: Plugging the box out will resolve it for a couple of days.

For losing channels and signal: A rescan doesn't help, a factory reset of the box is the only thing that works ... for a few days.

Cant say ive had any of those issues, perhaps it is an issue with antenna/dish position or something happening by the time signals get to Ariva box. I used existing sky dish and cable for freesat and bought a brand new aerial for dtv, placed in attic,red tipped for pointing at Mount Leinster and used compass on phone to get it pointed exactly to the degrees saorview site dictates. Signal quality/strength reads 100% for DTV and high 90's for freesat. Only minor issue i have occasionally is when switching to freesat you have to wait a few seconds whilst "dish moving."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Hmm. Seems to be only affecting a few owners - someone on an earlier thread had the sound/picture sync issue before (hard reset and latest firmware fixes temporarily)

Unfortunately for us with the box, there have been too many issues and as for our environment.
    • The same Aerial for DTT works great on other boxes and Saorview TV, but has constant issues with the Ferguson box
    • The same Aerial and Satellite setup had no issues with an older Ariva box.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gg69me

:confused: can you run iptv on this and cccam lines ,
    how is the android side of things on it and is the epg just " now and next " Have had a few ariva combo boxes down through the years and i couldnt fault them for reliabilityi.e the 120 , 150 and 250 so i was hoping to hear more positive feedback on this box as i am considering purchasing one but i am not so sure now....

gg69me wrote: »
    :confused: can you run iptv on this and cccam lines ,
    how is the android side of things on it and is the epg just " now and next " Have had a few ariva combo boxes down through the years and i couldnt fault them for reliabilityi.e the 120 , 150 and 250 so i was hoping to hear more positive feedback on this box as i am considering purchasing one but i am not so sure now....

I dont regret purchasing and would still recommend it, havent encountered any major issues like have been mentioned. Yes EPG is just now and next for freesat, saorview EPG displays week in advance. Android is stable and kodi runs with no issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 gg69me

I dont regret purchasing and would still recommend it, havent encountered any major issues like have been mentioned. Yes EPG is just now and next for freesat, saorview EPG displays week in advance. Android is stable and kodi runs with no issues

That is good to hear as i am into Kodi and everything that comes with kodi .
    it was the android side of things that made me sit up and have a look at this box as well as the 4k capabilities even though it will probably be a long time before we see RTE etc transmitted in 4k .
    i have a separate android box and an enigma 2 box and its a pain to keep switching from one to the other and i also need a saorview box now for the other room as my openbox is no longer as useful as it was if you know what i mean .
    iptv is what i am wondering about now as regards this box if anyone has info on it....i suppose i could run it through android.....anyway thanks for the reply...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

Hmm. Seems to be only affecting a few owners - someone on an earlier thread had the sound/picture sync issue before (hard reset and latest firmware fixes temporarily)

Unfortunately for us with the box, there have been too many issues and as for our environment.
    • The same Aerial for DTT works great on other boxes and Saorview TV, but has constant issues with the Ferguson box
    • The same Aerial and Satellite setup had no issues with an older Ariva box.

Hi

I was wondering if you are still having problems with the Saorview Channels set up? I have the same receiver and was having similar problems on the Saorview Channels as you signal strength fluctuating at around 10% - 30% with lots of picture break up.

No problem with the FTA satellite channels,

Below is what I did for the Saorview channels.

Automatic scanning initially did not work for me - i.e. only saorview channels with a weak signal were stored for some reason, I played around with all of the settings, etc and could not get the box to store the correct saorview channels with the strongest signal.

So then I tried manual tuning, same problem. My Aerial is pointing towards Woodcock Hill, , So as a last resort I looked up the correct frequencies for Woodcock Hill,

http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/SAORVIEW-Frequencies-Rev-2.5.pdf

My box was picking up and storing weaker signals from Mullaghanish (474Mhz) but ignoring the correct strongest signal from Woodcock Hill( 682 Mhz) for some strange reason.

So back to Automatic tuning again - I unplugged the Aerial Cable at the back of the receiver and started the automatic scan and plugged it back in again before it reached 682Mhz - and it worked. All of the Saorview Channels are now at 100% Signal Strength.

Might be worth trying on your Receiver, bit of a bodge, but it worked for me,

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Best place to order these online folks? Cheapo android box is on the blink and I've cancelled sky so this would be handy for freesat too

Full Marx wrote: »
    Best place to order these online folks? Cheapo android box is on the blink and I've cancelled sky so this would be handy for freesat too

Was cheapest I could find, prompt delivery too.

http://www.satworld.ie/ferguson-ariva-4k-combo-receiver.html

The mighty YouTube repeatedly crashing for some reason..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

gg69me wrote: »
    iptv is what i am wondering about now as regards this box if anyone has info on it

Anyone have an answer to this?
    Thanks in advance

Anyone have an answer to this?
    Thanks in advance

The manual is probably the worst Ive ever encountered so not much use but there is an IPTV button on the remote. Sorry, not much help i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dimble2002

hi not sure if this is the correct forum. i am a complete noobie to the idea of free sat and have just cancelled sky and installed the ferguson aviva 4k combi box. havn't got round to setting up the saorview bit yet . . just wondering if there is a way to have a fuller epg ie 24hr or 3/7 day epg as the epg that came set up is just now and next and dosn't always work unless i select the tv channel. i have already downloaded and installed the the update from the ferguson site

As far as I know you cant get a weekly EPG for FTA as its not actually a certified Freesat box, no way around this that I know of. You will have weekly EPG on Irish channels alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Hi all, completely new to these boxes and am usually good with technology, but I can't get the Irish channels on this box..

I'm doing an auto scan and the"strength" bar is 95% to 100% but "quality" 0% and it's not getting any channels.

Any idea where I'm going wrong? Or anyone have a step by step for installing? The manual is quite poor..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Gavinpaul18

Hi I'm looking for a way of setting up TV guide for English channels anyone got any suggestions of what way is best thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

Having similar problems. What size is your hdd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wonder if anyone has tried booting one of these with a version of Linux for AMLogic 905 CPUs?

It seems it has an SD card slot, and maybe it can be booted from that?

Has anyone successfully run Amazon prime video on this device?

Keithchap wrote: »
    Having similar problems. What size is your hdd?

100gb

100gb

Thanks. I have tried every format with a 2GB drive, including multiple partitions etc

I think my problem is that the drive is 4TB. Also I read that these players support MBR type drives versus GUID and you can't format a 4TB drive to be MBR, even if it's partitioned. Well I couldn't figure out how to do it anyway.

Thanks. I have tried every format with a 2GB drive, including multiple partitions etc

I think my problem is that the drive is 4TB. Also I read that these players support MBR type drives versus GUID and you can't format a 4TB drive to be MBR, even if it's partitioned. Well I couldn't figure out how to do it anyway.

Make it an external drive with adapter? Would provide all the same functionality anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Make sure the motherboard fan are of good quality. If you are watching 4K satellite, the motherboard will run hot.

Has anyone successfully run Amazon prime video on this device?

I find on demand next to pointless on it, apps like YouTube and RTE Player constantly crash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement