Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed running sessions on track

Options
  • 08-08-2016 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody knows of anywhere in Galway where speed sessions are done on a running track in South Galway. know there are speed sessions in Dangan in town but do you have to be a member of Harriers to run on that track? Doing DCM - running club near me in gort do speed session but not on a track.Know this is Galway city page but just wondering do you have to be a member of harriers to run on track - it's just a bit if a trek for me driving in and out from the country

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Anyone can use the track at dangan. It has a padlock and turnstile on it to make you pay 1euro to get in, but the padlock and gate have been open for a while now.
    Did you want to use the track on your own or join the harriers club session? If you want to run st the same time as club give them a call first before driving over. They have a good website with info.
    There is a public running track at Westside too- see recent thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Anyone can use the track at dangan. It has a padlock and turnstile on it to make you pay 1euro to get in, but the padlock and gate have been open for a while now.
    Did you want to use the track on your own or join the harriers club session? If you want to run st the same time as club give them a call first before driving over. They have a good website with info.
    There is a public running track at Westside too- see recent thread.

I though it was a private property facility like all the playing fields around there with perhaps a public right of way along the riverbank walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

"I though it was a private property facility like all the playing fields around there with perhaps a public right of way along the riverbank walk?"

I've been lots of times and never been thrown out. I suppose if you had an accident you wouldn't be covered by any insurance etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

bobbyss wrote: »
    I though it was a private property facility like all the playing fields around there with perhaps a public right of way along the riverbank walk?

Dangan is open to the public thanks to the college...Its a superb amenity and would be a real shame to see a motorway through it.
    Track is usually open as the gate pay access never seems to function , and people can use except when its booked by clubs etc for sessions or competitions .. GCH have a weekly Tues session on for adult members , easy to join check the club website

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

youngrun wrote: »
    Dangan is open to the public thanks to the college...Its a superb amenity and would be a real shame to see a motorway through it.
    Track is usually open as the gate pay access never seems to function , and people can use except when its booked by clubs etc for sessions or competitions .. GCH have a weekly Tues session on for adult members , easy to join check the club website

I see. How are you sure people can use it;that it is open to the public?

There were some signs prohibiting the sports fields' use as a golf range (which I don't see anymore) and some signs requesting dog owners to keep their dogs off the fields and running tracks all of which seems to be ignored by dog owners.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

bobbyss wrote: »
    I see. How are you sure people can use it;that it is open to the public?

There were some signs prohibiting the sports fields' use as a golf range (which I don't see anymore) and some signs requesting dog owners to keep their dogs off the fields and running tracks all of which seems to be ignored by dog owners.
    Re the track It's actually part of the regional sports centre on college lands so probably public use has to be allowed
    I'd use it a good bit both the pitches and track and generally fine with the caretakers and college unless people are messing
    I guess as long as it's respected as a running facility it will be fine and open to public as long as buggies cycles dogs etc aren't brought on to track , though you never know when the r s c or college may put the gate back locked and the two euro charge back in

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

Thanks for replies guys. Might actually get onto Harriers and see if I could join up with their speed training sessions during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Am a GCH member, contact the club through the details on the club website
    To avail of our track training, you would need to be a club member.
    If the Tuesday evening sessions didn't work for you, I believe other clubs also use the track on different evenings, so might be worth finding out which one would suit you best.

FYI: Summer track @ 6:30pm, moves to 7:30pm during the winter months.

Advertisement