Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disable contactless feature on card

Options
  • 09-08-2016 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭

Is there a way of doing this? I do not wish this feature active on my card, as it can take up to a week for any contactless transactions to be debited from my account making it very hard to keep track of finances. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have you tried not using the contactless option...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Decent Skin

endacl wrote: »
    Have you tried not using the contactless option...?

An owner not using it is one thing; someone in a crowd using it is quite another.

I think it's crazy that banks were allowed to introduce this carte-Blanche across the board with zero consultation with customers as to whether or not they wanted it, and without having the option to disable the unwanted and unrequested "feature".

If anything it might serve as a security option, that if a transaction comes in from someone who has this switched off then they could blacklist / disable the terminal.

But the fact that they pushed it out without asking is disgraceful; if a bank was offering one without it I'd switch on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Thanks for the smartass reply. A lot of places tap the cards without asking how you want to pay. Given a choice I'll always go with pin 

Thanks for the smartass reply. A lot of places tap the cards without asking how you want to pay. Given a choice I'll always go with pin 

Same here. In fact, I've thankfully never been anywhere that didn't have the choice, and if I were I'd just say "I'll leave it so", or (if stuck) "where's the nearest ATM ?"

And if any outlet ever taps without asking then I'll be querying it immediately with the bank (legitimate payment or not) safe in the knowledge that I'll have NEVER used the contactless "feature", and I'll be boycotting the outlet from there on too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Is there a way of doing this? I do not wish this feature active on my card, as it can take up to a week for any contactless transactions to be debited from my account making it very hard to keep track of finances. 
    Hi Kaizersoze81, 

Thanks for contacting us on Boards. 

Yes you can request a card without the Contactless feature on your account. To request a Contactless card, you can send a query on 365 Online through the Online Service Desk and Ask a Question. Alternatively you can call BOI Direct on 0818 365365 or 0035314044000 (8am to midnight Monday to Friday and 9am to 6pm on weekends). A new card will then take seven to ten working days to arrive in the post. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You shouldn't be handing over your card for anyone to tap. Only you should tap it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

DIY option. (including x-ray view of a contactless card)
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Disabling-Contacless-Payment-on-Debit-Cards/

Hi all, 

Just to also add, the limit for contactless transactions is €30 and we would always advise you to tap the card yourself onto the payment terminal. From time to time when using the contactless feature, you will be asked to enter your PIN for security. As I mentioned above, if you wish to have a card without this feature you can certainly request one using the steps above. 

Thanks again,
    Sarah

Hi all, 

Just to also add, the limit for contactless transactions is €30 and we would always advise you to tap the card yourself onto the payment terminal. From time to time when using the contactless feature, you will be asked to enter your PIN for security. As I mentioned above, if you wish to have a card without this feature you can certainly request one using the steps above. 

Thanks again,
    Sarah

Sarah I closed a Credit Card account due to being told that there was no contactless opt-out available.

Hi all, 

Thanks again,
    Sarah

Sarah I closed a Credit Card account due to being told that there was no contactless opt-out available.
    Hi Decent Skin, 

While there is no opt-out for our Credit Card accounts, you can request a Visa Debit card without the Contactless feature on your Current account. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Advertisement

Hi Decent Skin, 

While there is no opt-out for our Credit Card accounts, you can request a Visa Debit card without the Contactless feature on your Current account. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

As I said, account closed due to forced opt-in to contactless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

Hi Decent Skin, 

Thanks,
    Sarah

As I said, account closed due to forced opt-in to contactless.
    Hi, 

Sorry to hear that you closed the account due to this. We will be passing these comments on for feedback. 

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie

Evie 

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

From time to time when using the contactless feature, you will be asked to enter your PIN for security
    Does the chip need to be inserted when this happens, just wondering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Red Alert wrote: »
    From time to time when using the contactless feature, you will be asked to enter your PIN for security
    Does the chip need to be inserted when this happens, just wondering?
    Hi Red Alert, thanks for getting in touch.

Yes, it'd be the same as a normal point of sale transaction where you aren't using the contactless option. You'll need to insert the card into the terminal and then enter your card PIN on the keypad.

Hope this answers your question, please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 33 riya99

AIB have now started to issue contactless Visa cards. I have just rceived mine. I had not requested it. On the 'phone they confirm that bthey are being issued to ALL customers, they do not ask if you want it; there is NO OPTION for a contactless card, although there is an option for a contactless debit card.  Not acceptable behaviour to issue only contactless cards. Bank of Ireland - are you still issuing Contactless Debit Cards??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Afternoon riya99, 

Thank you for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie. 

While we offer the Contactless feature now on our credit cards and Visa Debit cards, we can certainly supply you with a non contact less Visa Debit card. If you'd like you can easily and quickly switch your account to Bank of Ireland using this link.  

If we can help with any steps in this process or any other queries you may have, please let us know. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

Good Afternoon riya99, 

Thank you for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie. 

While we offer the Contactless feature now on our credit cards and Visa Debit cards, we can certainly supply you with a non contact less Visa Debit card. If you'd like you can easily and quickly switch your account to Bank of Ireland using this link.  

If we can help with any steps in this process or any other queries you may have, please let us know. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 
    Thank you Elaine. Disappointing to note that B of I do not offer non-contactless credit cards.

rita99 scroll up to find my diy fix. all cards can be non contact/less with a little snip. xray of card indluded so you can understand why it works.

sKeith wrote: »
    rita99 scroll up to find my diy fix. all cards can be non contact/less with a little snip. xray of card indluded so you can understand why it works.
    Many thanks sKeith. Sounds like a very practical solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi all,

We do not recommend tampering with your card in anyway.

If you wish to have a non contactless card you can always order one free of charge through our online service desk or by calling our customer service team on 0818 365 365.

Hope you all have a nice day.

Regards

Kareana  

• Advertisement

Hi all,

If you wish to have a non contactless card you can always order one free of charge through our online service desk or by calling our customer service team on 0818 365 365.

Regards

Kareana  
    Will subsequent cards issued after expiration be non contactless too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi all,

Regards

Kareana Â
    Will subsequent cards issued after expiration be non contactless too?
    Hi Enfilade,

Thanks for your post.

When the card expires and a new card is issued the card type will remain the same unless you contact us to amend this.

Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Kareana

Hi all,

Regards

Kareana  
    Perhaps the solution, Kareana, is to provide non-contactless CREDIT cards for those who prefer them.
    Meanwhile sKeith's solution is the nest suggestion yet.
    BTW Kareanna please provide a non 0818 telephone number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

riya99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Regards

Kareana  
    Perhaps the solution, Kareana, is to provide non-contactless CREDIT cards for those who prefer them.
    Hi riya99, I'll certainly pass on your feedback here.

You can call 01 4044000 as an alternative (+3531 4044000 if dialling from abroad).

Thanks
    Nicola

riya99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Regards

Kareana  
    Hi riya99, I'll certainly pass on your feedback here.

You can call 01 4044000 as an alternative (+3531 4044000 if dialling from abroad).

Thanks
    Nicola
    Thank you Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

We use wireless security badges in work like a lot of places do,  When the first contactless cards came out we hooked up one of our badge scanners to a laptop and were easily able to scan the card for contactless payments from about 3 feet away. 

There would no problem shoving the lot into a bag and simply walk down a busy shopping street and catching payments as  you go. 

A lot of us bought RFID blocking wallets after that

My main issue is, i have a credit card with contactless, which i use contactless on. no issues, but latest atm card is a contactless debit card. i never wanteded or asked for a contactless debit card and can no longer safely use my contactless credit card without risking a debit card transaction so need to take credit card out of wallet and use it specifically and keeping my atm card far away from the reader machine.  sort of defeats the point of not having to remove cc from wallet now.

Advertisement