Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League Run 2016/17 Season

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Is top 4 essential really??? We still wont attract the top players and when we did qualify we played weakened teams in the group stages. We could have won this cup if we went all out for it, so disappointed. FA Cup will be very hard to win IMO

Yes it is, new stadium to pay for, surely we want to play with the big boys?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

mushykeogh wrote: »

Maybe we might take it seriously next time we get into it and not try to get knocked out at the earliest opportunity. Sorry but i can't get excited about finishing 3rd or 4th, fair enough its extra cash but as a fan I want to see cup finals and trophies as its been way too long. It was just your comment straight after the game that gets to me, I hate that argument that getting knocked out is a good thing.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Maybe we might take it seriously next time we get into it and not try to get knocked out at the earliest opportunity. Sorry but i can't get excited about finishing 3rd or 4th, fair enough its extra cash but as a fan I want to see cup finals and trophies as its been way too long. It was just your comment straight after the game that gets to me, I hate that argument that getting knocked out is a good thing.
    Getting knocked out is not a good thing, it's crap. But seeing we can't even beat Gent, I'm going to look for some positives!. Still 3 games away from F.A. Cup glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

But we are not good enough to play with the big boys. We've shown that in the last few seasons.

tom1ie wrote: »
    But we are not good enough to play with the big boys. We've shown that in the last few seasons.

We made the quarter finals once didn't we? So are you saying we should just give up trying to get better? Or do we just wake up one day and we are magically up to playing champions league?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Getting knocked out is not a good thing, it's crap. But seeing we can't even beat Gent, I'm going to look for some positives!. Still 3 games away from F.A. Cup glory.

I am a natural pessimist i guess, especially straight after a game. Winning the FA Cup to me would top any top 4 finish in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

If we beat millwall in the Cup. we are in the semi's at WEMBLY :eek:

Ah Jayus

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Had to look away when they showed the challenge multiple times on Dejaegere. How he continued on? The terminator would have fallen victim. Titanium in those legs?

No real surprise, said it on numerous occasions. Either this round or the next, when we part ways with this competition. Is Wembley built on sacred Indian burial ground? If that's the new home, god help us all.

Didn't feel any emotion exiting, bar that kamikaze tackle. Congrats to Ghent and there supporters, Vanhaezebrouck is a gent.

United have a great shot at winning the tournament.

Now fúck Europe, we've Stoke on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I didn't see the first half so my opinion might be limited but I don't understand the doom and gloom here. It reads just like the Arsenal, Utd and Liverpool threads. A bunch of hysterical teenage girls storming off because "their club" is letting them down.
    The half I saw last night was 10 men completely outplaying 11 but somehow coming away with a draw. Fair play to Gent but they ride their luck and got the result that they maybe didn't deserve.
    For me, getting out out the EL early is far better than going another few rounds and then falling over from exhaustion. We now have a level playing field with Liverpool and Arsenal and we are still in the cup but we can play a full team every game.
    Getting CL even if we scrape into 4th is huge. Not only for the revenue boost and ability to attract players & sponsors just when we will be negotiating for naming rights on the new stadium but, crucially, it will be denying a CL spot to two out of Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal.
    Those clubs cannot afford to not to be in the CL. In Utds case, not only do they miss the CL revenue but there are sponsors penalties for not making CL two years in a row. Long term though the damage is to their "brand". Just read some of their threads, three quarters of them genuinely come across as hormonal girls. They can't bear the "humiliation" of not being seen in the right jersey.
    For us, on the other hand, a young exciting team with a young exciting manager, going into a new stadium in a year or two, London based with CL football, the sky's the limit.

Cheer the **** up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Quick question - If United win the Europa League and gain CL qualification that way, does that mean that the 4th placed team in the Premier League may not qualify?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

joeguevara wrote: »
    Quick question - If United win the Europa League and gain CL qualification that way, does that mean that the 4th placed team in the Premier League may not qualify?

Could be wrong - Winning the Europa League would award the Premier League a fifth place in the Champions League.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭golfball37

joeguevara wrote: »
    No- Five teams allowed nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭golfball37

Villareal finished fourth in Spain last year and made the CL qualifying rounds. Sevilla finished outside top four so 5 teams definitely allowed.

I don't know what the story would be however if City won the CL and finsished 5th and Utd won Europa finishing 6th?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

4th would miss out if this happens.

The above is the only possible way in which 4th could miss out on CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

golfball37 wrote: »
    Villareal finished fourth in Spain last year and made the CL qualifying rounds. Sevilla finished outside top four so 5 teams definitely allowed.

I don't know what the story would be however if City won the CL and finsished 5th and Utd won Europa finishing 6th?

5 is the max allowed. It would require two teams finishing outside the top 4 winning the CL and EL for 4th to miss out. It is technically possible but not even we are that unlucky. In my opinion we will finish third and possibly even second if Aguerro decides he is pissed off with Pep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,355 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I didn't see the first half so my opinion might be limited but I don't understand the doom and gloom here. It reads just like the Arsenal, Utd and Liverpool threads. A bunch of hysterical teenage girls storming off because "their club" is letting them down.
    The half I saw last night was 10 men completely outplaying 11 but somehow coming away with a draw. Fair play to Gent but they ride their luck and got the result that they maybe didn't deserve.
    For me, getting out out the EL early is far better than going another few rounds and then falling over from exhaustion. We now have a level playing field with Liverpool and Arsenal and we are still in the cup but we can play a full team every game.
    Getting CL even if we scrape into 4th is huge. Not only for the revenue boost and ability to attract players & sponsors just when we will be negotiating for naming rights on the new stadium but, crucially, it will be denying a CL spot to two out of Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal.
    Those clubs cannot afford to not to be in the CL. In Utds case, not only do they miss the CL revenue but there are sponsors penalties for not making CL two years in a row. Long term though the damage is to their "brand". Just read some of their threads, three quarters of them genuinely come across as hormonal girls. They can't bear the "humiliation" of not being seen in the right jersey.
    For us, on the other hand, a young exciting team with a young exciting manager, going into a new stadium in a year or two, London based with CL football, the sky's the limit.

Cheer the **** up!!!

Yeh , yeh ....
    We got knocked out by a mid table Belgian team !!!!
    We were in the Champs League this season, Remember? That didn't go to good either!! I suppose to get knocked out of European football twice in one season should deserve a trophy ?
    We need to win something , anything.... 1 trophy since 2000?
    No fa cup win since 91 !!! That is not good. And unless we win a trophy, all these young exciting players will head off to where they will win things, and not just go all out to finish 4th .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement