Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League Run 2016/17 Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Kane should of passed in that instance.

Sissoko fantastic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Regardless of whether we're loosing, the crowd have been really poor

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

I can't watch any more of this ****e

Fair play to Monaco, took there chances. No complaints. We had enough out there to get a result.

Can't say I'm terribly disappointed, on to the next game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Disastrous start to our CL campaign,looks like we could have two strikers drawing blanks,hope i'm wrong.

Sidibe was very good for Monaco, MOTM for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Reminds me of the time Ireland played that historic first ever rugby match at Croke park and the French beat us.

With everything else that was going on we forgot there was a team to be beat too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Their composure and experience really told tonight. If we kept the heads a bit more we could have done it as we outnumbered them all over the pitch and could have have great chances. Everything was just a bit too hurried and rushed, exemplified by Vertonghen rushing Eriksen's corner at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

Probably were the better team overall but this is the Champions League and teams will punish any lapses in concentration and poor spells like we had tonight. Too many players didnt play, Eriksen, Dier, Lamela and Kane were all poor.

Most disappointing thing was the crowd flowing out at 84 mins. Embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

Just streamed it on bt.jenas is very hard to listen to.overall poor performance.for all the huffing and puffing their keeper had only one save to make.taking alli out of the centre was a poor move

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not the start we wanted, but not the end of the world either. We absolutely dominated the game, with them getting one good goal and one very lucky goal. Monaco defended very well as well. Out decision making was very poor imo, and Alli and Kane being the worst. So many times we picked the wrong option, and it cost us in the final third time and time again. Simply not good enough at this level, but i'd expect Poch to sort it out.

The team looked wrecked, so i hope this doesn't cause the usual European hangover that we are known for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭golfball37

Monaco beat a very good side 3-0 in preliminary round and beat PSG 3-1 recently. Result and performance tonight no surprise. We have no stardust we are all huff and puff. We'll still be much better than at least 15 teams in the EPL but the reality is we've no world class players at the club, not even close. Hugo being the exception imo but I meant outfield.
    You can see from first goal the frantic running forward before Lamela had even controlled the ball. That is our game now and it's very one dimensional. A big heavy pitch like Wembley doesn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

At least the other game in our group was a draw so it could be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

golfball37 wrote: »
    Monaco beat a very good side 3-0 in preliminary round and beat PSG 3-1 recently. Result and performance tonight no surprise. We have no stardust we are all huff and puff. We'll still be much better than at least 15 teams in the EPL but the reality is we've no world class players at the club, not even close. Hugo being the exception imo but I meant outfield.
    You can see from first goal the frantic running forward before Lamela had even controlled the ball. That is our game now and it's very one dimensional. A big heavy pitch like Wembley doesn't help either.

I agree 100%. But as a team we function well as a team when Dembele is there playing well with his experience and composure, calming everyone down. I think experience is what this team lacks. All the elements are there for them to be seen as superstars in 1-2 years time,(Kane,Ali,Jansen,Eriksen,Lamela,Dier,Rose) I would consider Alderweireld a special cb. He's been so consistent, and there's no obvious weakness in his game. He also has amazing passing.

So really we have a good foundation from the back where our experience lies (Walker (26) Toby (27) Verts (29) Hugo(29) Dembele (29) Rose (26)

But the rest are 24 and younger. This is why i think dembele is so integral with his wiser decision making at critical times in the game further up the field. And why our defence has been so good.

But those experienced, good forward players are pretty expensive.

I'm happy with the team and they will only get better. Once Sissokho beds in his pace and experience will give us another dimension also. I see the team learning from every game, and time is only on their side.

I still think we get out of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Didn't see the match as I'm away but kinda thought we might lose this one. I don't think it's the end of the world as every team is beatable in our group. If we had a barca or Madrid in our group we could be in serious trouble but I think we are still capable of winning this group not mind get out of it.

I think we will see Spurs improve over next few weeks and we will be just as competitive as we were last year. In PL we have one of the more settled sides so this will play into our favour as other teams bed in new players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Disappointing result but I think we played pretty well overall (except Lamela)
    Unlucky not to get at least a draw
    Still pretty confident that we'll qualify

2 other positives for me
    1) The other game ended in a draw
    2) We go to Moscow before winter hits

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fabvinny72

have to say once i saw the team with Son,Lamela and Eriksen all starting i was worried! should have started with Wanyama or Dembele i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

I think Janseen needs to start the next match. He did more than Kane in his little comeo.

I don't know if you guys noticed or not. He pointed out too many times where to hit/pass the ball, but nobody did it for some strange reasons.

I would start with the following team for the next match;

Lloris
    Walker Toby Ver Rose
    Dier Dembele
    Sissokho (needs pace) Lamela (or Alli) Son
    Janseen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Mauricio confirms that Harry Kane, Mousa Dembele, Eric Dier, Danny Rose and Moussa Sissoko have not travelled to Moscow because of injury.

Potential line-up...

Lloris

Walker - Alderwiereld - Vertonghen - Davies

Alli - Wanyama

Lamela - Eriksen - Son

Janssen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Mauricio confirms that Harry Kane, Mousa Dembele, Eric Dier, Danny Rose and Moussa Sissoko have not travelled to Moscow because of injury.

Potential line-up...

Lloris

Alli - Wanyama

Lamela - Eriksen - Son

Janssen

That's a worrying injury list, but it really shows how we strengthened in the right areas this summer the fact that the starting 11 still looks pretty strong.

I'm still not convinced by Dele as a central mid, but Victor is an ox, so hopefully he can shield the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Potential line-up...

Lloris

Alli - Wanyama

Lamela - Eriksen - Son

Janssen

Bench will be pretty threadbare from an attacking point of view.

Vorm - Trippier - Wimmer - Carter-Vickers - N'Koudou - Onomah - Winks/Carroll

CSKA V Tottenham
    Will be shown on freeview channel 59 (BT Showcase)

Very difficult game, if we lose this we're up shíts creek.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭Glebee

Cant see us getting a result here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Kicks off at 7.45pm

Key Stats

This is the first competitive meeting between CSKA Moscow and Tottenham Hotspur.

English clubs are unbeaten on their last four Champions League visits to CSKA Moscow (W2 D2 L0).

CSKA Moscow have failed to keep clean sheet in their last eight Champions League games against English opposition.

Tottenham have lost only one of their five previous encounters with Russian clubs in all competitions (1-0 away defeat v Rubin Kazan in the 2011/12 Europa League), winning three and drawing one.

Spurs failed to win any of their away Group Stage games in their only other Champions League appearance in 2010/11 (W0 D2 L1); their only away victory that season came at the San Siro against Milan in the Last 16 (1-0).
    Tottenham are winless in their last four Champions League games (D1 L3), losing the last three in a row and scoring just one goal in total.

After reaching the knockout stages in 2011/12, CSKA Moscow have since failed to progress past the Group Stage picking up just three victories in 19 games since then (W3 D4 L12).

CSKA have conceded in each of their last 23 Champions League matches since recording back to back clean sheets against Trabzonspor in 2011.
    CSKA’s last four home goals scored in this competition have arrived in the opening 36 minutes of the game.

No team won more corners in the first round of matches than Tottenham Hotspur; recording 11 (Monaco failing to record any in that match).
    CSKA have progressed to the Champions League knockout stages only twice in their nine previous appearances in the competition (2009/10 & 2011/12).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Going Spurs 2 nil hear - Jansen brace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fabvinny72

would gladly take a point here,but not hopeful! (as a spurs fan being negative is a given!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

We're better away from home, 3-1 I reckon, Janssen, Lamela, Son.

Advertisement