Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League Run 2016/17 Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Big loss. I read the other day though, that he hasn't missed a game, up until now.

I heard Trippier might be playing instead of Walker?

Anyhoo Dier is up to the task, Wimmer was outstanding and unlucky to lose his place to Vertonghen. But he looks out of favor.

A game of this magnitude is too big for CC Vickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Dier all the way lads. Wimmer is quality but he can't be match sharp and not worth the risk in such an important match.

Expect Son to start too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't agree to be honest. I think Wimmer, assuming he played like he did last year, is the better choice over Dier (who I still don't see as a CB). Wimmer was brilliant last year, and i can only assume something must have happened for him to be so out of favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Kiith wrote: »
    I don't agree to be honest. I think Wimmer, assuming he played like he did last year, is the better choice over Dier (who I still don't see as a CB). Wimmer was brilliant last year, and i can only assume something must have happened for him to be so out of favour.

I agree. I'd be one for putting Wimmer ahead of Dier, based on Wimmer being an out-and-out centre back, while Dier would be forgiven for thinking more like a holding midfielder now.

However, I think Dier will get the go ahead as he is right footed. Vertonghen plays left centre back and Toby plays right centre back because they are left footed and right footed, respectively. Dier can slot straight in, but with Wimmer being left footed, it might require a re-jig.

Either way, I think both Dier and Wimmer can do a very solid job in next to Vertonghen. We've got good strength in depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Yep, Poch is very particular about right and left footed players, he's obsessed with body position etc, so it's Dier over Wimmer. I'd say he'd nearly play Walker at right centre back ahead of Wimmer if Dier wasn't available.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    Yep, Poch is very particular about right and left footed players, he's obsessed with body position etc, so it's Dier over Wimmer. I'd say he'd nearly play Walker at right centre back ahead of Wimmer if Dier wasn't available.

dogdonotwant4uh-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Kiith wrote:

Better player at CB? Yes, perhaps but my point was that Dier should start tonight because Wimmer has had no competitive games at club level this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Lloris, Trippier, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose. Wanyama, Alli. Son, Eriksen, Lamela, Janssen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Subs: Vorm, Carter-Vickers, Davies, Dembele, Onomah, Sissoko, Winks.

• Advertisement

No Wimmer on the bench, worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

Think Trippier and Dier on the right side of the defence is a big call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Did Wimmer shag Pochettinos Mrs or something?

My theory is when he left Wimmer out at the end of last season once jan came back there must have been words said.He surely cannot be out of favour due to training alone.but that's only my theory

... while Dier would be forgiven for thinking more like a holding midfielder now.

I'm starting to get less forgiving. He's been far too loose at the back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Really annoyed we haven't scored while playing like this

Very reminiscent of Saturday.should be out of sight and it's frustrating as we are not punishing teams.Dier is not playing well

Trippier playing well, lovely cross for Janssen.

Think we are playing too many square balls across our defence.

Hope we don’t gift them a goal have to chase this down.

We need more on the ball from Eriksen, and Lamela.

pacman.gif COYS

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Typical Spurs first half,dominating the game but nothing to show for it on the score board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

My theory is when he left Wimmer out at the end of last season once jan came back there must have been words said.He surely cannot be out of favour due to training alone.but that's only my theory
    But he signed a new contract after that didn't he?

• Advertisement

You are correct.it's even more baffling now

Some save by Llorry

Unbelievable save.eriksen may get his finger out.at sweet FA

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

Lamela... A red card waiting to happen!!

Baumgartliner bossing it in midfield.

Lamela, Eriksen and son have been shocking.I can forgive Son but the other 2 have been muck for a long time

Janssen off. Son up front I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote:

He's always been a stocky player. I doubt he'd be on the pitch if he wasn't fit!

• Advertisement

Lamela 54 percent passing success rate.That's awful and we have bee awful 2nd half.we do not deserve anything from this

Advertisement