Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League Run 2016/17 Season

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Great saving header by Verts

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

Absolutely shocking 2nd Half performance.Dier is no centre half.lamela needs to be dropped.not good enough

Lucky to get away with that

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Have to be happy with that I suppose with the way that second half went.

We're becoming a 1st half team, which very worrying :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

TV3 lads going to town on the 2nd half performance... saying the players look tired, over trained and exhausted already. 5 more games in 16 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

Things not getting any easier.early kick off on Saturday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Glad of the point in the end.

Turning point was the early Janssen substitution, and why? I don't think he's finished a full 90 minutes, unless he did so in the cup. He was holding the ball and bringing players into the game. His confidence took another dent.

Son had no interest when sent on to fill in for Janssen, he looked absolutely knackered.

Keeping Lamela on for as long as he did, that was just barmy.

Trippier, Lloris, Wanyama, Rose, Janssen, Vertonghen all performed well. The rest were way below par.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

That was the original game of two halves. It is worrying how easy it was for Leverkusen to change the game just by inserting a midfield donkey. Following on another Pulis experience, a lot of the poor teams will be seeing how to nick a point against us. For all the work rate and intricate passing we are crying out for a consistently creative player.

That player unfortunately doesn't appear to be Sissoko. It looks like we are getting the Newcastle, not the French version. More worryingly, Dembele also seems to have reverted to the pre-last season version of a player unsure of himself. Wanyama was unreal in the first half last night so I can see us not needing Dembele at his best but we badly need Kane and Alderwireld back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Crying out for a fully fit Dembele, imagine him and Wanyama in the middle!! I think Big Vic is better in there than Dier, and Dier isn't good enough for center back ?

I think I'm done with Lame-le and Eriksen..... Lamela looks like he wants to get sent off in every game, and is soo erratic, can be dazzling and then rubbish.
    I don't see what eriksen brings/gives to the team. He is anonymous for the majority of all games he plays in. And he depends on Alli to do his share of the work as well as his own !.
    Sissoko - jaysus. Might be early days, but hes looking like a waste of about 20million so far....
    Rose - What a transformation ! hes playing out of his skin for us at the moment!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

greenspurs wrote: »
    Crying out for a fully fit Dembele, imagine him and Wanyama in the middle!! I think Big Vic is better in there than Dier, and Dier isn't good enough for center back ?

I think I'm done with Lame-le and Eriksen..... Lamela looks like he wants to get sent off in every game, and is soo erratic, can be dazzling and then rubbish.
    I don't see what eriksen brings/gives to the team. He is anonymous for the majority of all games he plays in. And he depends on Alli to do his share of the work as well as his own !.
    Sissoko - jaysus. Might be early days, but hes looking like a waste of about 20million so far....
    Rose - What a transformation ! hes playing out of his skin for us at the moment!!

You're right Dembele just isn't fit yet, he'll get there.

Dier was definitely uncomfortable, but you gotta remember that he was still learning his trade as a young centre back when he was reinvented as a midfielder.

Eriksen generally does more running than anyone else on the pitch, and he generally creates more goals than anyone else. He's also our best free kick taker. Those 3 proven attributes make him virtually undroppable.

Sissoko has only cost 6m so far. Poch cleared that up in an interview.

TV3 lads going to town on the 2nd half performance... saying the players look tired, over trained and exhausted already. 5 more games in 16 days.

Exactly, TV3. I know Sky have their faults, but at least they use statistics to back up their theories before they spout them. It was funny when the TV3 presenter pointed out that Spurs outran Leverkusen, Souness mumbles something about running not always being running :confused:

Ormus wrote: »
    You're right Dembele just isn't fit yet, he'll get there.

Dier was definitely uncomfortable, but you gotta remember that he was still learning his trade as a young centre back when he was reinvented as a midfielder.

Eriksen generally does more running than anyone else on the pitch, and he generally creates more goals than anyone else. He's also our best free kick taker. Those 3 proven attributes make him virtually undroppable.

Sissoko has only cost 6m so far. Poch cleared that up in an interview.

Oh I agree with you about Dier, kind of. Can we afford to allow him learn his trade though at CB? And I think Wanyama is a better midfielder , so where now for Dier? Will he drive on? or will he be another Bentaleb?
    Generally ? sorry I don't agree. Id be able to run but I wouldn't expect to play!
    I just don't think he justifies playing every game, when he plays well (?) in very few of them.
    6mill ? still 20mill too much :D

Oh I agree with you about Dier, kind of. Can we afford to allow him learn his trade though at CB? And I think Wanyama is a better midfielder , so where now for Dier? Will he drive on? or will he be another Bentaleb?
    Generally ? sorry I don't agree. Id be able to run but I wouldn't expect to play!
    I just don't think he justifies playing every game, when he plays well (?) in very few of them.
    6mill ? still 20mill too much :D

I agree it's a worry, but we don't have much choice at this stage, Poch clearly sees him as best reserve for right sided centre back. I think Dier is a cut above Bentaleb, but only time will tell. Apparently Toby won't be out for long anyway.

Well done on being able to run, but would you be able to be our top assist provider every season and are you the best free kick taker in England? If so, lets sign you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

It's amazing to me the different views some supporters have. Week in week out, Eriksen is one of the most indispensable of the entire team. I believe he created more goal scoring opportunities than any player in the PL last season (different from assists but it's not his fault if they're not all converted!)

I don't see any obvious replacement for him if he picks up an injury.

Well done on being able to run, but would you be able to be our top assist provider every season and are you the best free kick taker in England? If so, lets sign you up.

Thanks ...
    Ireland yes, England no........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Need to chilllax lads. We haven't turned ****e overnight. Only 2 weeks ago we hammered city.

We've had 2 tough away games in the space in 4 days following a cu*tish international break, isn't it any wonder we lost our way in the 2nd half.

Dier was a player of the season contender last year and still has a huge role to play for the team this season.

Demebele has had what 1 full game back from suspension before the recent injury?

Sissoko is still adjusting to his new team mates and that was his first poor performance in the Jersey, let's give him a bit more time.

Agree Lamela needs benching.

Eriksen is that sort of player, he's never gong to dominate a game like KDB or Hazard etc but he still delivers. I think he deserves more time before been dropped.

Unfortunately Bournemouth away is about a worse place to go after 2 tough away matches. They are very tough team to breakdown on their own patch and see our unbeaten steak coming to an end.

Thanks ...
    Ireland yes, England no........

Ah ok, in that case you may be more suited to Sligo Rovers than Spurs.

• Advertisement

Ah ok, in that case you may be more suited to Sligo Rovers than Spurs.

Wrong Rovers, but thanks for the advice....... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jclack

So anyone find a decent pub close to Wembley for a couple before the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Predicted line up for tonight anyone? Very quiet in here for a champions league night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I'd Sissoko will start. The large Wembley pitch should suit him.

He owes the Spurs fans a very big performance.

I'd say Lamela will start too. As important as tonight is, Poch will have to be thinking about Sunday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Hopefully Moussa is up to speed after recent games. When he's on form he's a monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Lloris (C)

Walker, Dier, Vertonghen, Davies

Wanyama, Dembele

Sissoko, Eriksen, Dele

Son

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Lets see if it pays off, not a big fan of midfielders playing as wide players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Nervy start. Improvement in last couple mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,444 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

They are playing us at our own game and beating us. Our passing is terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Spurs are absolutely muck so far, muck. Son barely in the game (not that I blame him, he's not getting service), wayward passing by Walker (shock horror) and Dembele and no control of the ball. Davies at left back is pure ****e. This team is a long way from playing like last season.

Advertisement