Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Less Notice Than Whats On My Contract

Options
  • 09-08-2016 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hey Folks,

Just want to get your opinion on the following:

I have been working with my current company for the last 9.5 years. In that time I have moved positions/promotions etc and am in my current role for the last year. On my contract for this role the notice period is 3 months.

I have accepted a role with another company, but the 3 month notice period has just been highlighted to me by my manager (I presumed I had 4 weeks notice period - foolish I know).

I know I can work a shorter notice period if I come to an amicable agreement with the company.

My question is can I work a shorter notice against my contract requirements.

Thanks Folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Do you want to burn all your bridges?

I would try reach a compromise with them, maybe 6 weeks? You really don't want to just walk out after 4 weeks. But yes you could...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

If you were to go to a direct competitor, would that mean having to leave earlier due to a conflict of interest. It is common in some companies to tidy out your desk, then hand in notice and state that you are going to work for competition, after which you leave the building with security and go on gardening leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

Do you want to burn all your bridges?

I would try reach a compromise with them, maybe 6 weeks? You really don't want to just walk out after 4 weeks. But yes you could...

I was going to give 5 weeks notice. My issue is there is no suitable placement for me at the moment. I want to leave on good terms, but three months notice is a bit excessive. I signed the contract so I have to front up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    If you were to go to a direct competitor, would that mean having to leave earlier due to a conflict of interest. It is common in some companies to tidy out your desk, then hand in notice and state that you are going to work for competition, after which you leave the building with security and go on gardening leave.

Thankfully its not a direct competitor - same industry but different focus area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Lots of contracts have those terms but generally they are legally pointless. Unless you are a very very valuable employee they can do nothing. You may be burning your bridges but if you left early they would have to initiate proceedings and take a court case demonstrating financial loss due to your leaving early. Most company's will run a mile from any legal action especially when the max pay out they get will be a couple of months of your wages.
    Be aware that while some companies may try it they have no right to withhold any wages from you.

I would try to negotiate 6 weeks in return for being cooperative on your handover.

• Advertisement
Advertisement