Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestors outside Limerick Family Planning Clinic, Mallow Street

• 09-08-2016 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

I have noticed that there are a group of men (ugh) holding a vigil/praying on Mallow Street opposite the Family Planning Clinic. The group is made up of up to five men, two wear monk-like clothes. They pray out loud sometimes. I see them on varying days but they are pretty much always there on a Saturday morning.

Its obvious why they are there. I have challenged them on it a few times but they had no reply.

Can anything be done about it? I guess they are not right outside it but its definitely intimidating for anyone attending the clinic for whatever reason.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Parchment wrote: »
    I have noticed that there are a group of men (ugh) holding a vigil/praying on Mallow Street opposite the Family Planning Clinic. The group is made up of up to five men, two wear monk-like clothes. They pray out loud sometimes. I see them on varying days but they are pretty much always there on a Saturday morning.

Its obvious why they are there. I have challenged them on it a few times but they had no reply.

Can anything be done about it? I guess they are not right outside it but its definitely intimidating for anyone attending the clinic for whatever reason.

There has been a couple of counter demo's to them in the past but that's usually when Youth Defence are in town. It's disgraceful the carry on of these individuals but imo they are best ignored. The Family Planning clinic is an essential service to women in Limerick and the staff should be commended for carrying on their good work with these pathetic men on their doorstep.

There are also a couple of older men who go around town throwing miraculous medals in the gutters of the city's sex shops :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

While I may not agree with their view points people (even men) should be allowed to protest as long as they do not interfere with others..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

VikingG wrote: »
    While I may not agree with their view points people (even men) should be allowed to protest as long as they do not interfere with others..

i think if you are opposed to people seeking medical treatment/advice you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

A bunch of men standing judging and intimidating women (and men) who attend a clinic for medical assistance is interfering with others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

i think if you are opposed to people seeking medical treatment/advice you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

A bunch of men standing judging and intimidating women (and men) who attend a clinic for medical assistance is interfering with others.

Democracy means that everyone regardless of opinion is entitled to express their views so long as they do it in a peaceful, civilized and democratic manner. You cannot prohibit or forbid anyone on the bases that you disagree with them. Whether you like it or not those are the rules of the game, they are there to allow everyone in a society to express their views regardless of whether they are a minority or not. Those rules are there to protect minorities.

I work in the area and I see the people you are talking about every now and then. They are not threatening in any way and they are usually on the other side of the road. They never stay long. I don't think I have ever seen more than 20 minutes around and they people in the clinic are aware of them. I have never seen approach anyone entering the place or follow anyone entering the place or doing anything remotely similar.

Please just be rational and don't let your fears or other people's fears affect what it is just a disagreement of views

If you must know I completely disagree with them, regardless I respect and try to follow democratic rules in that and similar issues

So long as they don't break the law let them be and they are not breaking any law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Most protests interfer with others in one way or the other - should all protests be banned or just ones you disagree with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I would strongly disagree with what they are protesting about but would support their right to protest - once they keep it peaceful and lawful.

Wanting to ban protests is a slippery slope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

celibate monks & priests telling people what they should and shouldn't do with their bodies :rolleyes:

i thought we've gone beyond that nonsense

do people still take heed of what they say?? i hope not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

fatherted.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Wonder have they ever protested outside the Bishop's Palace....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I guess it comes down to what constitutes intimidation, doesn't it?

I can see both points of view. If it's a case of some people mumbling to their imaginary deity across the road, I don't see a problem. If they're blocking people from going in and being aggressive, it's something else entirely.

Where does the law stand on this kind of thing?

• Advertisement

zulutango wrote: »
    I guess it comes down to what constitutes intimidation, doesn't it?

I can see both points of view. If it's a case of some people mumbling to their imaginary deity across the road, I don't see a problem. If they're blocking people from going in and being aggressive, it's something else entirely.

Where does the law stand on this kind of thing?

If they're at the same side of the road but not agressive then surely that's ok too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

phog wrote: »
    If they're at the same side of the road but not agressive then surely that's ok too?

It's intimidation

5 men, a few dressed up as monks :
    ...... The group is made up of up to five men, two wear monk-like clothes. They pray out loud sometimes.

They don't have to say anything or be aggressive - if there was 5 men standing on the road just outside your house all the time I doubt anyone be too happy

gctest50 wrote: »
    It's intimidation

5 men, a few dressed up as monks :

They don't have to say anything or be aggressive - if there was 5 men standing on the road just outside your house all the time I doubt anyone be too happy

Is it tho? Are people intimidated passing people outside a pub having a smoke. Should that also be banned?

Where is line drawn wrt protests - should they be allowed at all?

phog wrote: »
    Is it tho? Are people intimidated passing people outside a pub having a smoke. Should that also be banned?

Where is line drawn wrt protests - should they be allowed at all?

Good point, if this lad and his ISIS mates were just standing outside your local, no guns, just standing there, would you be bit concerned ?

ISIS :
    cYTXOa2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

May as well just ban all public gatherings so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

They are obviously cúnts, but you're going to have to expand on your claims of intimidation on their part.

Are they threatening these people with violence or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

They should be allowed protest peacefully.

Abortion is an issue that affects men too. Many men have had thier babies aborted without thier knowledge or consent. Abortion is not just a women's issue no matter how loudly that's roared by some quarters

Smondie wrote: »

Abortion is an issue that affects men too. Many men have had thier babies aborted without thier knowledge or consent. Abortion is not just a women's issue no matter how loudly that's roared by some quarters

What has abortion to do with it ?

Family Planning Clinic are hardly performing them ?

What has abortion to do with it ?

Family Planning Clinic are hardly performing them ?

No but they give information on them. I persume this is the motivation for the protests?

Counsellors also provide accurate, honest and clear information about all three pregnancy options – abortion, parenting and adoption.

http://www.limerickfamilyplanning.ie/counselling-services/

Regardless, they have a right to peaceful protest.

You left out where they provide free smear tests :

if you've some woman a bit anxious about a smear test, then 5 nutters standing around outside could be enough to send her home again and she wouldn't get it done in time

Sooner you catch potential signs of cancer, the better

Well if 5 nutters standing outside stop her getting her health checked, she mustn't care that much about getting her health checked.

People have the right to protest peacefully, simple as that really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

magma69 wrote: »
    They are obviously cúnts, but you're going to have to expand on your claims of intimidation on their part.

Are they threatening these people with violence or something?

I cant imagine being a woman who was religious, had a miscarriage and went to the clinic for medical attention and saw a bunch of "monks" (are they actually monks?) and men praying across the road when i was already going through a traumatic time.

I get why people are saying they have a right to protest but take a step back and look at what they are protesting? Medical attention. Thats not right.

To men who say abortion isn't purely a womans issue - get back to me when you get pregnant.

No but they give information on them. I persume this is the motivation for the protests?

Counsellors also provide accurate, honest and clear information about all three pregnancy options – abortion, parenting and adoption.

http://www.limerickfamilyplanning.ie/counselling-services/

You left out where they provide free smear tests :
    In conjunction with ICSP (Irish Cervical Screening Programme), we are offering a free smear service

http://www.limerickfamilyplanning.ie/womens-health/

if you've some woman a bit anxious about a smear test, then 5 nutters standing around outside could be enough to send her home again a

Then she may not get it done in time

Sooner you catch potential signs of cancer, the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

If it helps I have never seen them cross the street, they pray and go. The people in the Clinic know about them. There is some kind of "protest" once a year, it lasts 30 minutes they chant slogans loudly and they go. The rest of the time they just do the praying thing and all that from across the street.

If they were threatening in anyway the Family Clinic would've call the Garda. If you don't believe the description I'm giving you take that as proof that they are not threatening or done anything beyond reasonable. I don't support them in anyway but they have the right and it's perfectly safe to be around them

Like many people working and moving through that area just find it a bit amusing. I'm more concerned about the people living around the corner that usually sleep all day. When they come out of "hibernation" during the day there's been several times there was a need to call the garda and I wouldn't be surprised if the garda have come for those a couple of times. Of those ones I worry more than the protestors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

The FPC provides services that prevent abortions by preventing pregnancy in the first place (condoms, the pill, the coil etc.,) as well as health checks.

If these men have an issue with information about abortion being supplied to women then they should start protesting UPC as I just did a cursory search of google and could find all the information I would need to get an abortion in England including how much it would cost and how to apply.

The FPC provides services that prevent abortions by preventing pregnancy in the first place (condoms, the pill, the coil etc.,) as well as health checks.

If these men have an issue with information about abortion being supplied to women then they should start protesting UPC as I just did a cursory search of google and could find all the information I would need to get an abortion in England including how much it would cost and how to apply.

They have the freedom to protest peacefully whatever and wherever they like!

Chill out! you'll do yourself some damage with that rage. I never said they couldn't just gave a suggestion as to where else they could protest if they were really concerned about women getting information on abortion. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Well if 5 nutters standing outside stop her getting her health checked, she mustn't care that much about getting her health checked.

People have the right to protest peacefully, simple as that really.

Maybe if you say so four more times everyone will start to agree with you...

Chill out! you'll do yourself some damage with that rage. I never said they couldn't just gave a suggestion as to where else they could protest if they were really concerned about women getting information on abortion. :D

No rage in my post. :) just stating a fact. I only replied because you quoted me.

The can do usc if they like too!
    An File wrote: »
    Maybe if you say so four more times everyone will start to agree with you...

I didn't know I wasn't allowed to answer questions I was asked and reply to posters. Thanks for the information.

Technically though they don't "have a right to peaceful protest" no matter how many times someone might want to say that they do.

Now they have the right to a "peaceful assembly" but not a protest. I know it is semantics but if a Garda was to ask them what they were doing and they said they were holding a "peaceful protest" then they can be arrested under the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994 as they are in breach of the peace, as that is the essence of a protest.

• Advertisement

maybe a dose of this :
    9.—Any person who, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, wilfully prevents or interrupts the free passage of any person or vehicle in any public place shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £200.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/act/2/section/9/enacted/en/html

or maybe this :

8.—(1) Where a member of the Garda Síochána finds a person in a public place and suspects, with reasonable cause, that such person—

(a) is or has been acting in a manner contrary to the provisions of section 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 or 9 , or

(b) without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, is acting in a manner which consists of loitering in a public place in circumstances, which may include the company of other persons, that give rise to a reasonable apprehension for the safety of persons or the safety of property or for the maintenance of the public peace,

the member may direct the person so suspected to do either or both of the following, that is to say:

(i) desist from acting in such a manner, and

(ii) leave immediately the vicinity of the place concerned in a peaceable or orderly manner.

(2) It shall be an offence for any person, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, to fail to comply with a direction given by a member of the Garda Síochána under this section.

(3) A person who is guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.

www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/act/2/section/8/enacted/en/html

bound to be more ianal

Advertisement