Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestors outside Limerick Family Planning Clinic, Mallow Street

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i wonder would they protest outside this man's house

be more appropriate don't you think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Smondie wrote: »
    They have the freedom to protest peacefully whatever and wherever they like!

Not under Irish law they don't!!

No matter how much shouting "peaceful protest" Seems to make people think they can do whatever they want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Parchment wrote: »
    To men who say abortion isn't purely a womans issue - get back to me when you get pregnant.

Any person regardless of their sex can hold the view/belief that abortion is the intentional ending of life. If they have belief then why shouldn't they be allowed "protest".

Should only old people or people with longterm illnesses be allowed have a view on euthanasia.

The right to life for unborn children is protected by the constitution and a person's sex doesn't decide on who can vote to change the constitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

phog wrote: »
    Any person regardless of their sex can hold the view/belief that abortion is the intentional ending of life. If they have belief then why shouldn't they be allowed "protest".

Should only old people or people with longterm illnesses be allowed have a view on euthanasia.

The right to life for unborn children is protected by the constitution and a person's sex doesn't decide on who can vote to change the constitution.

I agree. I would be mainly pro choice but I think that saying that abortion is only a women's issue is a little ridiculous and immature, a complete erasure of fathers and the fact that there has to be a man involved in getting a woman pregnant, whether through traditional methods or semen samples.

As I said I don't agree with the views of these protesters. Would people here be happier if these protesters were female?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I cant imagine being a woman who was religious, had a miscarriage and went to the clinic for medical attention and saw a bunch of "monks" (are they actually monks?) and men praying across the road when i was already going through a traumatic time.

I get why people are saying they have a right to protest but take a step back and look at what they are protesting? Medical attention. Thats not right.

To men who say abortion isn't purely a womans issue - get back to me when you get pregnant.

So not intimidating people at all then? Having a distasteful protest.

I find it troubling the amount of people who don't believe in free expression in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Men shouldnt have sex with women if they dont feel they can trust women.

Womens bodies - womens choices.

You sound pro-life, i think thats the issue here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

You sound pro-choice, I think that's the issue here.... If there is to be an abortion it should be a decision taken by both the man and woman. To say that it does not affect the man is complete and utter nonsense.

On the topic of the protests, I'm not keen on them for the effect of preventing medical advice/attention and how that puts people lives at risk. However I don't think they should be stopped either

There's a whole load of nonsense in this post.

I'm actually pro choice but that shouldn't matter to my view in how or why people protest once it's peaceful.

Edit, perhaps you're view on the 8th Amendment is blinding your view of the protest. People really need to be more tolerant of other people.

The great irony here is that some people who want women to have the freedom to make choices around pregnancy (something I support) also want to restrict the freedom of certain groups (men) from being involved in such a big and important debate for our society. They also want to restrict the freedom of other people to have opposing views.

Going back on topic, if people really feel that these protesters are doing something illegal then report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Well if 5 nutters standing outside stop her getting her health checked, she mustn't care that much about getting her health checked.

People have the right to protest peacefully, simple as that really.

:eek:

As someone whom was brought up in a Catholic conservative family, I can imagine that a younger me would have given the family planning clinic a wide berth in fear of being seen by one of these men.

People have the right to avail of necessary medical care without fear of being intimidated. It's a pity that these men don't care more about the living then they do zygotes.

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »

As someone whom was brought up in a Catholic conservative family, I can imagine that a younger me would have given the family planning clinic a wide berth in fear of being seen by one of these men.

People have the right to avail of necessary medical care without fear of being intimidated. It's a pity that these men don't care more about the living then they do zygotes.

They're not mutually exclusive, the protesters might well care about the living and the unborn.

You're at least the second poster that have made assumptions based on very little fact.

Thank you.

It's a pity that these men don't care more about the living then they do zygotes.

I've never met or heard of anyone who has miscarried during their pregnancy ever say they lost a zygote they've v all grieved the loss of their baby.

I've never met or heard of anyone who has miscarried during their pregnancy ever say they lost a zygote they've v all grieved the loss of their baby.

i know plenty of women who miscarried very early on and didnt consider it the loss of a baby but a miscarriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You're at least the second poster that have made assumptions based on very little fact.

So, in this vast study you carried out :

gctest50 wrote: »
    So, in this vast study you carried out :

:confused:

What point are you trying to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

How is a woman supposed to know these men aren't planning to attack her or blow the place up? Are they actual monks or lay men in costumes?
    Sinister behaviour.

How is a woman supposed to know these men aren't planning to attack her or blow the place up? Are they actual monks or lay men in costumes?
    Sinister behaviour.

How do you know if anyone you interact with or walk past aren't planning to attack you or blow the place up?

If we all took that attitude we'd all be hiding under our beds.

How do you know if anyone you interact with or walk past aren't planning to attack you or blow the place up?

If we all took that attitude we'd all be hiding under our beds.

It's the fact that they are clearly there deliberately. They are targeting/focusing on the building and the people going in, even though they might not be doing anything very extreme, it's clear that their attention is on the place.
    Anyone else you pass is going about their own business just like you or I. Other people on the street usually have no interest in the rest of us and most importantly, don't know what we are doing and don't stand watching the buildings we use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^

very well said

• Advertisement

Well I guess the answer is clear then if you feel that way - report them to the Gardai.

Has anyone reported them?

It's the fact that they are clearly there deliberately. They are targeting/focusing on the building and the people going in, even though they might not be doing anything very extreme, it's clear that their attention is on the place.
    Anyone else you pass is going about their own business just like you or I. Other people on the street usually have no interest in the rest of us and most importantly, don't know what we are doing and don't stand watching the buildings we use.

And it's not like religious zealots have a history of extremism or anything.....:rolleyes:

As much as I don't agree with these protesters, unless I'm mistaken, I don't think that these are regular vigils. I thought it was only once or twice a year they showed up? if it's on a more regular basis than I do believe that is cause for concern.

Well I guess the answer is clear then if you feel that way - report them to the Gardai.

I'd like to know, too

I haven't been to the clinic but if I saw them, I would

I reported them at one stage two years ago when they had bussed a whole load of youth defencers in from Dublin. There was a huge mob outside the family planning clinic and it was causing obstruction and was extremely intimidating.

I also regularly report Youth Defence stalls to the shops they choose to put their stalls up outside. I presume that is why they haven't been seen outside Brown Thomas for a number of years. Their images of miscarried babies that they put up are extremely offensive and potentially very upsetting for parents whom have suffered such a loss.

Are Youth Defence the ones that hand out leaflets on the street?
    Whoever they are, they tried to push one into my hands while I was walking past with a young girl. Not happy about that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

. Their images of miscarried babies that they put up are extremely offensive and potentially very upsetting for parents whom have suffered such a loss.

Pictures of a few zygotes. What's so offensive?
    ....It's a pity that these men don't care more about the living then they do zygotes.

Pictures of a few zygotes. What's so offensive?

Youth defence pictures usually feature fully developed foetus's. Abortions performed at this stage are extremely rare and are usually carried out because the child is still born.

I'm not having this debate with you here. There are plenty of other threads on more appropriate forum having these discussions.

I have reported them. I have also reported the pro-life people who decided to stand outside BT's with large pictures of dead foetus. This kind of judgement on womens decisions in life is not appropriate on our streets.

Advertisement