Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term acting up

Options
  • 09-08-2016 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there is a particular period of time where someone has been "acting up" in a position before they can have a legitimate claim for being permanently regraded?
    For over 2 years now as part of my duties I have been carrying out work that would normally be carried out by a higher grade, I haven't been getting any extra money during this period.
    I have been making a few enquiries and now it appears I shouldn't have been doing this work at all but I have been and I feel I deserve recognition for it.
    As I said I'm almost 2 and a half years doing this work, would that be considered long term acting up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's nothing about this in general employment - it's just called a development opportunity, and you justify pay increases based on the value you bring to the company.

But some professions and some occupations (eg public service) have specific rules and HR policies. You really need to ask your union or professional association about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If you didn't do the work regardless of where your work, it would have reflected very badly on you.

So be positive about the experience you got and discuss with your employer/manager the opportunity to progress on to a level that suits your experience? A retrograde complaint isn't going to make you look good and nobody could really do anything about anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Lux23 wrote: »
    If you didn't do the work regardless of where your work, it would have reflected very badly on you.

So be positive about the experience you got and discuss with your employer/manager the opportunity to progress on to a level that suits your experience? A retrograde complaint isn't going to make you look good and nobody could really do anything about anyway.

Unfair really. They'll probably get no recognition of the work that they did do now, but had they not done it, they would have been hammered!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lux23 wrote: »

Bit nonsensical really.

This can justifiably reflect bad on the employer for essentially exploiting resrce cutting, by having the OP do that work as part of their workload(and salary) as opposed to taking on another resource on another salary.

OP how did you come to do this work? You mention that you shouldn't have been doing it, why were you doing it in the first place?

If the company arn't going to promote you, or recognise the work you have been doing for two years, effectively saving them $$$, then you should look to handover the work formally returning to your core priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

There was a new computer system brought in to my section and it was landed on me, probably because they couldn't take on any new staff and needed someone to do it. I said nothing until recently when they tried to land another new computer system on me and I queried it, now they're saying I shouldn't have been doing that work at all.
    Maybe they feel that by pulling the plug now I will have no claim to a higher grade but in my eyes i have been "acting up" for almost 2 and a half years now, if that was recognised as long term acting up it would probably strengthen my case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ooter wrote: »
    There was a new computer system brought in to my section and it was landed on me, probably because they couldn't take on any new staff and needed someone to do it. I said nothing until recently when they tried to land another new computer system on me and I queried it, now they're saying I shouldn't have been doing that work at all.
    Maybe they feel that by pulling the plug now I will have no claim to a higher grade but in my eyes i have been "acting up" for almost 2 and a half years now, if that was recognised as long term acting up it would probably strengthen my case.

Wouldn't happen to be public sector by any chance? I know first hand of some duties like the above which have corresponding levies and payments allocated in some departments.

To be honest if they pull the plug on the entire thing then that's really fine. You move back to your old duties, obviously annoyed you weren't recognised for the work done. And hopefully the company do remember the work you did for two years should you go for a promotion etc. Likely they won't but then ball in your court to remind them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ooter wrote: »
    I said nothing until recently when they tried to land another new computer system on me and I queried it, now they're saying I shouldn't have been doing that work at all.
    If you're good at what you do, and do a very good job at this extra work, ask yourself who else could do the work should you cease doing the work?

Not total cessation, but if you prioritised other work before it, would you get asked nicely to continue doing the extra work, or is it not expected that you will do it?

Yes it is public sector, the work I was doing involved issuing work to other people, this should've been done by senior management but it was left for me to do, now that I have approached management about getting appointed to a higher grade they're saying that work will now be carried out by the senior management that should've been doing it all along.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Speak to your union rep asap.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Speak to your union rep asap.

Yeah I've spoken to my union and they're going to look in to putting in a claim to have me regraded.
    I actually discovered yesterday that there have been rumours spread to the union that I was refusing to do work by the senior management that now have to do the work I've been doing all this time, I had a good giggle at that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think the best way is to do apply for jobs that use your experience. Just move on.

Seems very common in PS to leave people carrying other people roles for very long periods. Probably because promotions can be so slow.

Advertisement