Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rio - Olympic Road Cycling Individual Time Trials - Wednesday August 10th

Options
  • 09-08-2016 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭

Road Cycling Individual Time Trial - Wednesday August 10th
    Start Time: Women - 12.30 (GMT); Men - 14.00 (GMT)

CpAOwdRUsAEgMFR.jpg
    • Grumari climb: 1.3km @ 9.4% (max 24.1%)
    • Grota Funda climb: 2.1km @ 6.8% (max 10.3%)
    The start list can be found here.
    Updates: Colombia withdrew their entry before the road race. Nibali (Italy) & Porte (Australia) are gone because of injury. For France, Bardet was due to ride, but has been replace by Alexis Vuillermoz. Great Britain have been given an extra spot (Geraint Thomas).

Who's going to win..........
    Has Dumoulin fully recovered from his broken wrist? Has Froome recovered from the road race? Spartacus to finish with ultimate glory maybe? Is it nuts to rule Tony Martin out? The there's the machine that is Kiryienka, and the up-and-coming star Roglic from Slovenia.

Here is the start order:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/thomas-craven-confirmed-for-olympic-games-time-trial/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Any ideas if the BBC or RTE showing this in full tomorrow? Cant see it on either the Freesat or Saorview EPGs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

martin, spartacus and kiryieynka havent been all that great in TTs this year. Dumoulin or Froome, Rohan Dennis as a wildcard outside bet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

that appears very lumpy for a time trial!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Roglic and Brandle are my outsiders, they both went very well in the hilly Giro TT

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Worthy of a separate thread (and also there's no confusion over spoiler rules - no tags required)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just seeing that this has its own thread. Maybe get the title changed. Reads as a random race thread rather than the Olympics.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Any ideas if the BBC or RTE showing this in full tomorrow? Cant see it on either the Freesat or Saorview EPGs
    I'm sure the BBC will have full coverage on one of their Olympic channels. I'm equally sure they will be switching between various sports on BBC 1/2 though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

24.1% on a TT bike!!!!

lennymc wrote: »
    24.1% on a TT bike!!!!

that's what I was thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Roglic and Brandle are my outsiders, they both went very well in the hilly Giro TT

Matthias Brändle isn't at the Olympics (not sure why).

Georg Preidler will ride the ITT for Austria.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm sure the BBC will have full coverage on one of their Olympic channels. I'm equally sure they will be switching between various sports on BBC 1/2 though

Would have thought so my self, unfortunately the Red Button Channels are currently advertising Hockey, Sevens, Table Tennis, et al. No mention of Cycling, unless its on one of the online channels, which I cant get.

:(

Matthias Brändle isn't at the Olympics (not sure why).

Georg Preidler will ride the ITT for Austria.

Hmm strange! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Would have thought so my self, unfortunately the Red Button Channels are currently advertising Hockey, Sevens, Table Tennis, et al. No mention of Cycling, unless its on one of the online channels, which I cant get.

if thomas or froome look any where near a gold theyll be changing what they're showing rapid quick

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Hmm strange! Thanks

From a quick Google and some translation of Austrian media, the decision not to bring Brändle was because the courses (both the road and TT) were too hilly for him. He wouldn't have been suited as a domestique to Preidler in the road race, so they brought Stefan Denifl. And with only one spot in the TT, it was then going to be Preidler.

neris wrote: »
    if thomas or froome look any where near a gold theyll be changing what they're showing rapid quick

Would be ideal if I was at home, unfortunately at work all day, and can only record two programes on freesat, and one from saorview.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

What are the descents like!

Anyway I have a liking for Kiryienka although he hasn't won much this season; other than that a win for Froome looks likely. Yawn.

From a quick Google and some translation of Austrian media, the decision not to bring Brändle was because the courses (both the road and TT) were too hilly for him. He wouldn't have been suited as a domestique to Preidler in the road race, so they brought Stefan Denifl. And with only one spot in the TT, it was then going to be Preidler.

Preidler finished 119th in the hilly Giro TT that Brändle was 2nd in! I can understand the decision when you factor in the road race though I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Best bet is to copy this link and watch online via rte player, they seem to be showing dedicated category events
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/live/

Cycling Road category will be showing Women's TT from 12.30pm.

Wonder if Pooley stands a chance, she saved quite a bit of energy towards the end of the race on Sunday, but I think the competition is too strong.
    Van Dijk possibly, but I think she put so much into Sunday's race, so possibly Kristen Armstrong, which would be pretty cool at 42!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Road Cycling Individual Time Trial - Wednesday August 10th
    Start Time: Women - 12.30 (GMT); Men - 14.30 (GMT)

Are those times correct? Are they not local start times as 12.30pm GMT would be 730am Rio time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Its Froome's to lose surely? I though it was one lap of that circuit with a longer out and back. One circuit and I thought Dumoulin could hold on but there is too much ascent with two circuits.

As counter-intuitive as it sounds, I think Froome is slightly heavier this year with the Rio TT in mind. More power at a slight cost to his climbing - he didn't really get away from them at the Tour but he is still one of, if not the best climber out there.

• Advertisement

bazermc wrote: »
    Are those times correct? Are they not local start times as 12.30pm GMT would be 730am Rio time?

Rio is four hours behind us, so the women's TT starts at 8.30am local time.

The men are actually starting at 10am local time, so 2pm GMT.

Here is the start order:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/thomas-craven-confirmed-for-olympic-games-time-trial/

Froome is off last, Dumoulin is the penultimate rider, and Kiryienka before them. It all sets it up nicely.

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Best bet is to copy this link and watch online via rte player, they seem to be showing dedicated category events
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/live/

Cycling Road category will be showing Women's TT from 12.30pm.

No good as working and will be wanting to record to watch in evening. Closest I can see is it being featured on BBC1s coverage. All the Red Buttons are showing other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Rio is four hours behind us, so the women's TT starts at 8.30am local time.

Cool thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

Why are there no Irish riders?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Raymzor wrote: »

Tony Martin is representing Ireland.

Raymzor wrote: »

For Ireland to have a rider in the TT, we would have needed one of the following:
    (i) in the top 15 ranked countries in the 2015 UCI World Tour (we finished 20th)
    (ii) in the top 6 ranked countries in the 2015 UCI Europe Tour (we finished 21st)
    (iii) have a rider who finished in the top 10 of the UCI World Championship TT (no Irish rider competed)

pelevin wrote: »
    Tony Martin is representing Ireland.
    Think you're getting confused with Tony Cascarino - he's not racing

Chris Juul-Jensen is though.....

For Ireland to have a rider in the TT, we would have needed one of the following:
    (i) in the top 15 ranked countries in the 2015 UCI World Tour (we finished 20th)
    (ii) in the top 6 ranked countries in the 2015 UCI Europe Tour (we finished 21st)
    (iii) have a rider who finished in the top 10 of the UCI World Championship TT (no Irish rider competed)
    Only 40 entries in the men's race but after injuries the field is down to 37. Only 25 in the women's race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Dumoulin , Kiryenka & Martin for me...

Advertisement