Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rio - Olympic Road Cycling Individual Time Trials - Wednesday August 10th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

A Russkie leading from an Armstrong right now.

The words 'comment' and 'no' pop into my head. Not necessarily in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Wow, what a TT by Van Dijk!
    Gold if she hadn't gotten friendly with the ditch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Van der Breggen coming in 5.8 seconds behind the Russian.

Fingers crossed now for Dutch silver and bronze..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Fair to play to Armstrong after Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Wow, what a TT by Van Dijk!
    Gold if she hadn't gotten friendly with the ditch?

she just missed out...

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    Fair to play to Armstrong after Sunday

Absolutely that was amazing, nice birthday present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

she just missed out...

She looked absolutely gutted stepping off the podium.

she just missed out...
    Van Dijk might decide to switch to electronic gearing after today! Felt very sorry for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Confirmation of the top 10 in the women's time trial

1 Kristin Armstrong (United States) 44:26.4
    2 Olga Zabelinskaya (Russia) 44:31.97
    3 Anna van der Breggen (Netherlands) 44:37.80
    4 Ellen van Dijk (Netherlands) 44:48.74
    5 Elisa Longo Borghini (Italy) 44:51.94
    6 Linda Villumsen (New Zealand) 44:54.71
    7 Tara Whitten (Canada) 45:01.16
    8 Lisa Brenauer (Germany) 45:22.62
    9 Katrin Garfoot (Australia) 45:35.03
    10 Evelyn Stevens (United States) 46:00.08

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Cancellara seems to have had a largely forgettable swansong year apart from, off the top of me head, Strade Bianche. Anyone giving him a serious chance today?

Poor Van Dijk looks as full of upset as one could be there.

Just to add, on the unlikely side of things I just see Kwiatkowski at 100/1. He obviously gave a strong ride in the road race & has previously done some great tt's, but were they generally of the prologue kind of distances? In other words is 100/1 reflective of the reality?

• Advertisement

Big guns are last to go in the mens so likely RTE won't cover it until later in the day.

Should be due to start around now so last 5 due to go after 3:30 our time I think if I worked that out correctly?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Big guns are last to go in the mens so likely RTE won't cover it until later in the day.

Should be due to start around now so last 5 due to go after 3:30 our time I think if I worked that out correctly?

Here are the start times, just add 4 to the hour:
    https://www.rio2016.com/en/cycling-road-mens-individual-time-trial

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Confirmation of the top 10 in the women's time trial

1 Kristin Armstrong (United States) 44:26.4

Lances exwife??

bazermc wrote: »
    Lances exwife??

His mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

pelevin wrote: »
    Cancellara seems to have had a largely forgettable swansong year apart from, off the top of me head, Strade Bianche. Anyone giving him a serious chance today?

Poor Van Dijk looks as full of upset as one could be there.

Just to add, on the unlikely side of things I just see Kwiatkowski at 100/1. He obviously gave a strong ride in the road race & has previously done some great tt's, but were they generally of the prologue kind of distances? In other words is 100/1 reflective of the reality?

I would love to see Cancellara do it today, but I don't think his form is good enough. He hasn't shown in a long ITT in a good few years (apart from Swiss championships).

Kwiatwoski has no chance in my opinion. His only good ITT results are (as you say) prologues and shorter hilly time trials. I would price him up at 200/1 or more.

I keep on changing my mind on this one.

I can visualise wins by a lot of the major contenders. Froome and Dumoulin are obvious favourites, but there are reasons to believe they may not be in optimal shape. At their best, both Tony Martin and Fabian Cancellara would be licking their chops at this race. They aren't at their best clearly, but there are reasons to believe they are not too far off.

I think Rohan Dennis is a very interesting one. I don't know how high his ceiling is as an ITT rider. Chances are that he will never be as good as Martin, Dumoulin.....but if he is in tip-top shape, he probably won't be far off gold if my suspicions about the levels of the favourites is true.

Izaguirre, Oliveira, Roglic, Kyrienka, even Phinney....these guys have reasonable podium prospects.

I don't think I have ever been this excited by a time trial.

Feels weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

D9Male wrote: »
    Roche isn't nearly a good enough a time triallist to get within an ass's roar of a medal.

i know that, doesn't mean i wouldn't have liked to have seen how he got on and have an irish interest in the event.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

pelevin wrote: »
    His mum.

Your Ma

RobFowl wrote: »
    Your Ma

Ok, I admit it. I am Lance. PM me for your free bracelets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just caught a bit of it there while on a break, they're really tip toeing down that descent aren't they.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The drying road is going to massively benefit later riders (assuming no more rain)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

How is the order they go off in determined for this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Beasty wrote: »
    The drying road is going to massively benefit later riders (assuming no more rain)

It looks like it is getting wet again. Hopefully no advantage or disadvantage for anyone on that score (not sure what is happening to the wind, though).

terrydel wrote: »

I could be making a fool of meself but I'm fairly sure it's just down to - First come, first served.

Either that or something to do with how good you are, however that's determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

i know that, doesn't mean i wouldn't have liked to have seen how he got on and have an irish interest in the event.

Agreee totally ...Thre are lots of competitors today who dont have a chance of a medal but a competeing otherwise very small field

and he is better than alot out there .....He is national champion and beat Mullen by over a minute so not that bad. Came 13th in Worlds in 2013

Also climbs nor descents are the problem for him...its technique that usually is his problem

terrydel wrote: »

The cr*p riders go first, the best riders go out last :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Looked to me like most of the strong guys are at the end.

Gather there is a lot of rain out there and if so its pretty ****ty to have a dangerous descent where a rider has to gamble between metal and kudos and broken bones and lost skin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Parts of the course are dry now, but others it is still chucking it down. They haven't been speculating on any new weather coming in that may effecting the later group to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Whats the length of this TT? I've googled but keep getting 2012 results..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Looks like they have put out a lot of extra padding on all the Road Furniture after the Road Race

Advertisement