Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rio - Olympic Road Cycling Individual Time Trials - Wednesday August 10th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

powerful

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

godtabh wrote: »
    why did ronan have a bike change?

The bars broke off.

...and the mechanic wanted to show off some daredevil skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

The spanish lad didnt look to pleased

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Froome is no Wiggins ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭isitraining

robinph wrote: »
    The bars broke off.

...and the mechanic wanted to show off some daredevil skills.

https://twitter.com/rikdeprez1974/status/763399837035487232

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They seem to be giving Froome more credit for finishing third than they are Fabian for winning it on BBC

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Weepsie wrote: »
    They seem to be giving Froome more credit for finishing third than they are Fabian for winning it on BBC
    And if Nico or Dan had managed something similar over the weekend what do you think the reaction would be here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

delighted for cancellara

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    And if Nico or Dan had managed something similar over the weekend what do you think the reaction would be here?

We'd probably begrudge them it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    We'd probably begrudge them it ;)
    I know you and I would, but I'm thinking of those who may be a little more level-headed.....

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

great line from thomas being interviewed on bbc

q: you were a late call up, weren't prepared for this

a:yeah, i had a mcdonalds with the road boys on sunday, (smirks, then adds) but usain bolt has mcdonalds so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

What is it with the sniggering insinuating questions on rte from yer one Cantwell?

'How could he possibly win?'
    'Sure look how fast he is going there?? Going uphill!'
    'He's never actually won the tour?'

No such thing as 'jayzus well done- victory for probably the best and most well known TT rider of this generation'

Anyway, it's probably back to the ping pong table for her now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Delighted for Cancellara. Great way to finish a great career. I really didn't fancy him but you can never tell with sport.

My bets went sour big-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Well seeing Cancellara earlier at 18/1 was far too good an offer to refuse some little bet on him so that was a nice little win! Given Dumoulin's injury coming in, Froome's form fading somewhat, Tony Martin not really up there this year, besides the hindsight factor, the race was likely to be more open than the odds reflected. Also as said earlier, given Cancellara's career, the way his year was going down gently rather than with a bang meant there was reason to guess despite whatever he was or wasn't saying that this was an obvious thing for him to be zeroing in on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I missed the end as work got in the way of my viewing. Delighted for Cancellara, as I'm sure my Swiss landlord will be too!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

JK.BMC wrote: »
    What is it with the sniggering insinuating questions on rte from yer one Cantwell?

No such thing as 'jayzus well done- victory for probably the best and most well known TT rider of this generation'

Anyway, it's probably back to the ping pong table for her now

That came across the same way to me. she sounds like a right u know what. Irvine looked annoyed with her to

pelevin wrote: »
    Well seeing Cancellara earlier at 18/1 was far too good an offer to refuse some little bet on him so that was a nice little win! Given Dumoulin's injury coming in, Froome's form fading somewhat, Tony Martin not really up there this year, besides the hindsight factor, the race was clearly more open than the odds reflected. Also as said earlier, given Cancellara's career, the way his year was going down gently rather than with a bang meant there was reason to guess despite whatever he was or wasn't saying that this was an obvious thing for him to be zeroing in on.

Well done. I really didn't fancy him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

DominoDub wrote: »
    TT Bikes can be around 10K even buying second hand :cool: as this Irish lad did buying an ex Sir Wiggins model

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irishman-riding-superb-tts-after-buying-wiggins-team-sky-tt-bike/

wow, that thing must be the Ferrari of bikes, I especially like this bit
    Marcus Christie recently bought the TT bike ridden by Bradley Wiggins at Team Sky and has set some outrageously fast times on it, shattering the Irish national 50-mile record by over five minutes and winning the Ulster 10-mile at the weekend.

Anyone know what the difference in bike weight would be between a track bike with fixed gear and no brakes and a TT with those onboard. Also power meter- is this just a computer on the handlebars with a sensor on the spokes or is it something more elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

D9Male wrote: »
    Well done. I really didn't fancy him.

Twas those odds more than most anything though that had me put something on him! Obviously his form hasn't been apparent in terms of doing much but I had wondered going back a good while why wouldn't he be focusing on this as a real fireworks thing to focus on in his final year. If it was the case, he managed superbly to keep his cards very close to his chest. With his pedigree he'd surely after the disappointments of the Spring Classics want something dramatic to sign off on. Maybe he has been aiming to peak for this & kept his powder dry somewhat with it in mind during the TdF.

• Advertisement

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    That came across the same way to me. she sounds like a right u know what. Irvine looked annoyed with her to

He did. He handled it well. He is a gent.... 'for sure...'

unless its a round ball that can be kicked, an oval ball that can be thrown or a stick that hits a ball Rte sports people have no knowledge or interest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

pelevin wrote: »
    Well seeing Cancellara earlier at 18/1 was far too good an offer to refuse some little bet on him so that was a nice little win!

Aftertiming! You'd get a ban in the horsey/gambling forums for that!:D

Fair play to Cancellara. Its obvious now how he backed off after the spring classics and aimed for this. The course proved not to be as tough as predicted. It seems its the length and duration of a climb that proves too much for pure TTer's rather than a short sting in the tail. As Boardman said, the two sections only added up to 10-12 minutes of climbing for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Some really disappointing performances from Tony Martin (12th), Vasil Kiryienka (17th) and Taylor Phinney (22nd).

Delighted that Spartacus won, and also happy that both Froome and Dumoulin made it on to the podium.

Some really disappointing performances from Tony Martin (12th), Vasil Kiryienka (17th) and Taylor Phinney (22nd).

Delighted that Spartacus won, and also happy that both Froome and Dumoulin made it on to the podium.

as world champ kiryenka has been very disappointing

I wonder what Cancellara will do in the world championships.

He will have a great chance in the ITT clearly. Very little chance in the road race, but stranger things have happened.

By the way, the road race has to be the suckiest route ever for a world championships. It makes the Copenhagen course look like Liege Bastogne Liege.

He will have a great chance in the ITT clearly. Very little chance in the road race, but stranger things have happened.

By the way, the road race has to be the suckiest route ever for a world championships. It makes the Copenhagen course look like Liege Bastogne Liege.

It's a bit like an elongated Corkagh Park.
    6 meters of elevation 'and you feel every one of them'

No camels in L-B-L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

It's a bit like an elongated Corkagh Park.
    6 meters of elevation 'and you feel every one of them'

And the World Tour teams are boycotting the TTT.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/worldtour-teams-set-to-boycott-2016-world-championships-team-time-trial/

Delighted for Cancellara, great beginning of the end of his career on the bike.
    Also very happy to see Dumoulin to at least take silver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Chapeau to Spartacus, he missed out on a lot of his targets this year in the classics and TDF, great to see him ending his last year on a high.

Advertisement