Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major road closures in Dublin 15 this Sunday - IronMan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Thanks for letting us know! It's certainly the first I've heard about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ongoing discussion on the Commuting and Transport forum too

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057632193

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Jesus that's ridiculous, lucky I won't be heading over to Blanch until after 6pm but I'd imagine traffic will still be dirt.

Only notice I've seen of this is a one of those big sighs outside McDonalds on the Navan Rd inbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

If a learner driver, cyclist or moped needs to cross the city they can take a short detour via Kilcock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

thanks, first ive heard of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

AlanG wrote: »
    If a learner driver, cyclist or moped needs to cross the city they can take a short detour via Kilcock.

Not necessarily so in all cases.

As a Learner Driver must be accompanied at all times by a Driver with a Full Licence (min 2 years), the Full License holder can share the driving duties and use the M50, or other Motorways :)

And I am sure that the cyclists will do their own thing anyway :D

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Not necessarily so in all cases.

As a Learner Driver must be accompanied at all times by a Driver with a Full Licence (min 2 years), the Full License holder can share the driving duties and use the M50. :)

Only if they are insured on the car. You do not have to be insured to be an accompanying driver. Lots of learner drivers, even if accompanied will not have that option.

Only if they are insured on the car. You do not have to be insured to be an accompanying driver. Lots of learner drivers, even if accompanied will not have that option.
    Hmmm......... now that's interesting, as I am unaware of this been a requirement by the Road Safety Authority. All of my vehicle insurance policies throughout the years have a had provision allowing for other drivers to drive my vehicle. Provided that they have my permission to drive the vehicle and that I am not their employer, or the vehicle has not been hired, or used for reward.

I have also driven other policy holders vehicles whilst covered by a similar provision in their policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hmmm......... now that's interesting, as I am unaware of this been a requirement by the Road Safety Authority. All of my vehicle insurance policies throughout the years have a had provision allowing for other drivers to drive my vehicle. Provided that they have my permission to drive the vehicle and that I am not their employer, or the vehicle has not been hired, or used for reward.

I have also driven other policy holders vehicles whilst covered by a similar provision in their policy.

Its very uncommon to have what you have. Far more common to be allowed drive someone elses.

Most policies allow the main policy driver to drive other cars but only with 3rd party insurance so not great on many cars.

Even with open drive on a car (which you seem to be referring to and usually costs a bit extra) the driver still needs to be over 25 and under 70 so many learner drivers, being under 25, will not have a car with open insurance. In fact a learner cannnot drive a car with open insurance so none of them will have cars insured like that.

This closure doesn't impact me but it all seems a bit unfair and badly advertised.

• Advertisement

Most policies allow the main policy driver to drive other cars but only with 3rd party insurance so not great on many cars.

Even with open drive on a car (which you seem to be referring to and usually costs a bit extra) the driver still needs to be over 25 and under 70 so many learner drivers, being under 25, will not have a car with open insurance. In fact a learner cannnot drive a car with open insurance so none of them will have cars insured like that.

This closure doesn't impact me but it all seems a bit unfair and badly advertised.
    No not referring to "open drive", just your average every everyday motor policy, anyway enough topic drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

No not referring to "open drive", just your average every everyday motor policy, anyway enough topic drift.
    Never heard of an average everyday motor policy without "Open Drive" that allows others to drive your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think you should check your policy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

How did the Iron Man go anyway?
    14c5na9.jpg

Advertisement