Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School review

Options
  • 09-08-2016 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Due to some recent news we have been offered a place in two Educate Together schools , Castaheany and Tyrrelstown for my younger daughter.

My eldest attended Tyrrelstown so I am familiar with the school and the Educate together policies.

Castaheany is closer to us (both require a car journey) but I am wondering what people's experience is of the school? are there any issues you have run into?

Have to make up our minds quickly so appreciate any feedback , not looking to bad mouth but genuine opinions of the school?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Not been smart here but the best school is the one around the corner of your street !
    My heart brakes when in the morning at 7am, i see children stand sleeping ,waitin for bus or cars to be dropped to the best school located miles and hours away ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

rolion wrote: »
    Not been smart here but the best school is the one around the corner of your street !
    My heart brakes when in the morning at 7am, i see children stand sleeping ,waitin for bus or cars to be dropped to the best school located miles and hours away ...

That's no help to the OP. Those of us whose kids aren't Catholic don't always have the luxury of just sending the kids round the corner.

OP I've heard great things about Castaheany. We looked at it but got a place in Castleknock.

Can't give any opinion on Tyrrellstown I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭txt_mess

@former total , Thanks for the feedback

@rolion I would have to echo what former total has said I would love to my child to go to the school which is only a 3 minute walk from my house.

It is catholic and even with that fact we looked into it as some schools are better at inclusion then others. My child would have to sit in Catholic religion classes while the other children are taught how she will be going to hell for not believing and that was first hand feedback from a parent who ended up getting their child transferred out due to the way religion was taught and classes not being inclusive.

School can be cruel if your different but when that is the way religion is taught what chance does a child have to fit in. I can't change that school but I can decide where my daughter should go.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

txt_mess wrote: »
    @former total , Thanks for the feedback

@rolion My child would have to sit in Catholic religion classes while the other children are taught how she will be going to hell for not believing and that was first hand feedback from a parent who ended up getting their child transferred out due to the way religion was taught and classes not being inclusive.

Well that's no too helpful and slightly offensive too. If your neighbour transferred their child because the school teaches that non Catholic kids go to hell then I suggest they contact the Gardai first and report a hate crime and then the dept. of Education.

Since it's being reported second hand then I'll respectfully decline to accept it, this isn't the 1950s and that's contrary to how the curriculum is in 2016. I'd suggest that rather then sending your kids further away from home you do the research and don't take the word of your neighbour as fact

@Rosser you are really making no sense
    Rosser wrote: »
    Well that's no too helpful and slightly offensive too.

The question was posed as to why I wasn't sending my child to the nearest school which happens to be Catholic , I actually did do my research and asked both my neighbours and friends in the area with children in the school. How would you suggest I gather information, stare in the windows?

I know the curriculum as I said I have an older child in education and as you might also read I had said some schools are better at inclusion then others and from researching the only way possible the local school is not one of them clearly.
    If your neighbour transferred their child because the school teaches that non Catholic kids go to hell then I suggest they contact the Gardai first and report a hate crime and then the dept. of Education.
    Yes she did put in a complaint, it was the department that arranged a transfer for her child and as it was only the past semester it has not reached a conclusion, I am not aware if it was taken to the guards that did not come up.
    Since it's being reported second hand then I'll respectfully decline to accept it, this isn't the 1950s and that's contrary to how the curriculum is in 2016. I'd suggest that rather then sending your kids further away from home you do the research and don't take the word of your neighbour as fact
    I came to this search with an open mind to hear people's experiences and clearly everything will be second hand unless you are of primary age and attending the local schools so really , do my research ? , stop trolling and use some common sense.

• Advertisement

I'd do my research by arranging a meeting with the Principal, discussing your concerns and soliciting what the ethos of the school is and how the staff work with the parents council to ensure the curriculum (as laid down by the dept.) is applied.

Perhaps apply some common sense yourself by speaking to some professionals on a matter as substantive.

Having a chat with the neighbours, you might as well as you suggest stare in the windows. For the record I wasn't 'trolling' however to directly quote you "my child would have to sit in Catholic religion classes while other children are taught how she will be going to hell" - that's offensive.

Good luck with your search all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Some friends of mine sent their children to castaheaney and love it. I know in castaheaney it's a deis school so you get lunch! If you're happy with the ethos and the travel for both then check out the resources and compare that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Not been smart arsehole again but this "school review" ends-up between religion and non-religion education, schools, teachers, kids, ethos, classes and definitevely not a proper review of any school.

I am closed to both schools and i can say that both are great.From all aspects.The closest one,as a physical location will win your choice.
    Religion is an optional subject and from what i saw, they cover all the beliefs and assist / facilitate the non believers.
    There are panels and posters on the walls,there are books about all religions and after school,they learn about it.

My children went to nearer school and they did Religion.
    I shared,i share and i wil share Religion toughts, stories and wisdom in my home and i do expect schools to do their share of life teachings.
    While i accept religion,i do no accept stories about penguins and the new definition of a family !

Whatever you chose,i am sure your child will have a proper integration with other children,will be healthy,will enjoy waking-up in the morning to go to school,will use less technology and you as a parent will create a healthy environment for a proper social development.

Enjoy your children youthness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Hi,

Not been smart arsehole again but this "school review" ends-up between religion and non-religion education, schools, teachers, kids, ethos, classes and definitevely not a proper review of any school.

I am closed to both schools and i can say that both are great.From all aspects.The closest one,as a physical location will win your choice.
    Religion is an optional subject and from what i saw, they cover all the beliefs and assist / facilitate the non believers.
    There are panels and posters on the walls,there are books about all religions and after school,they learn about it.

My children went to nearer school and they did Religion.
    I shared,i share and i wil share Religion toughts, stories and wisdom in my home and i do expect schools to do their share of life teachings.
    While i accept religion,i do no accept stories about penguins and the new definition of a family !

Whatever you chose,i am sure your child will have a proper integration with other children,will be healthy,will enjoy waking-up in the morning to go to school,will use less technology and you as a parent will create a healthy environment for a proper social development.

Enjoy your children youthness...

The OP has already made the choice for a non-religious school. All he/she is asking for is an opinion on which of two non-religious schools is the better option.

I'd do my research by arranging a meeting with the Principal, discussing your concerns and soliciting what the ethos of the school is and how the staff work with the parents council to ensure the curriculum (as laid down by the dept.) is applied.

Perhaps apply some common sense yourself by speaking to some professionals on a matter as substantive..

Seriously do you hear yourself ? I did attend the opening evenings etc for all the school but you really need a reality check if you think a principal is going to turn around and say there are complaints in against their school or acknowledge there is an issue.
    Having a chat with the neighbours, you might as well as you suggest stare in the windows. For the record I wasn't 'trolling' however to directly quote you "my child would have to sit in Catholic religion classes while other children are taught how she will be going to hell" - that's offensive.

Good luck with your search all the same.

You exactly right my child having to see in a school where she is told she is going to hell is offensive , to me. Not sure how this offends you ? unless you think that is correct behavior I cannot see how you would think that was appropriate to a child.

Troll away elsewhere clearly you have nothing to offer to my original question.

• Advertisement

Religion is not an optional subject in any school and I want my child to learn about all religions reflecting real life which is what the curriculum is if taught correctly.

I am still in disbelief that people can actually think it is a good idea to send your child somewhere regardless of religion were they would be essentially bullied.

And again at no point have I tarnished all Catholic schools I have just said the one closest to me has clear issues to address. If it was a non catholic school close to me and a similar behavior was happening I wouldn't send my child there either.

Which brings me back full circle to trying to get information on the named schools , so thank you to those that have read and given feedback.

People who don't necessarily agree with you are not trolling you they are not agreeing with you.

I'm not interested in trolling nor have I ever trolled anyone at any stage ever - clear?

You neglected to say in your first post the department was involved, you neglected to say you went to the open night and you neglected to say that you were unwilling to discuss with the principal because you felt he would in effect cover it up or deny it.

Naturally I don't suggest any kid should be put in an unhappy situation at any stage for any reason. What I am saying is you have not discussed it with the school / department any form of officialdom because your neighbour's experience has primacy in your decision making - perfectly entitled to make your choice.

I did wish you good luck in your search, I continue to do so.

If you you feel you're being trolled report it to a moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

People who don't necessarily agree with you are not trolling you they are not agreeing with you.

I'm not interested in trolling nor have I ever trolled anyone at any stage ever - clear?

You neglected to say in your first post the department was involved, you neglected to say you went to the open night and you neglected to say that you were unwilling to discuss with the principal because you felt he would in effect cover it up or deny it.

Naturally I don't suggest any kid should be put in an unhappy situation at any stage for any reason. What I am saying is you have not discussed it with the school / department any form of officialdom because your neighbour's experience has primacy in your decision making - perfectly entitled to make your choice.

I did wish you good luck in your search, I continue to do so.

If you you feel you're being trolled report it to a moderator.

The OP didn't come here for a debate. This is about reviewing the named schools only. I've a friend with a son in Castaheany and they love it. Would it not be more practical from a drop off point of view to keep them both in the same school?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ok guys, lets cool it down a bit - if you've a problem with posts, report them dont go down the road of name-calling and smartarsery (It's a real word ok!)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

My kids go to Tyrrelstown ETNS. It's a lovely school IMO. Very friendly and caring. Excellent teachers and the kids seem to have a lot of fun.
    The fact that your older child attended there means you know a bit about the school, better the devil you know.

Advertisement