Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipper Vinegar

• 09-08-2016 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Does anyone have a recipe for nice chip shop vinegar?
    Certain chippers (Burdocks etc) vinegar is delicious and then others is gross.
    What is it that gives the 'nice' vinegar such a nice taste?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Tefral

You need to buy a thing called Non Brewed Condiment thats what the "Vinegar" in chipshops is.

Just acetic acid really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Burdocks will sell you a bottle of vinegar. (lots of chippers will, they know we're all addicted) I've got some at home :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tefral wrote: »
    You need to buy a thing called Non Brewed Condiment thats what the "Vinegar" in chipshops is.

Just acetic acid really

I think most will add stuff to this, its really a base acid. Burdocks is certainly brown and certainly not 100% acetic acid, in christchurch you used to see it brewing in the back, have not been there in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

I bought lots of this vinegar for cleaning.
    It say 5% acetic acid, so might give it a go...
    I remember reading that the juice from a jar of pickled onions is divine on chips and that most chippers that have brown vinegar is just browning agent...

I will explore and report back with learnings :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

5% acetic acid in water is the same as "spirit vinegar" and is not the same as what is sold around here as "white distilled vinegar". White vinegar here is white malt vinegar (I'm from the US where "white distilled vinegar" means spirit vinegar, even if originally distilled from grain). You can find it in Polish or occasionally ethnic groceries (I get mine in Lituanica).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This macaris even sells it online
    http://www.macaris.ie/buy-vinegar/ezj80i4egpyn5ebli6fg2rjpwwnkrr

There used to be a brand in tesco of chipper vinegar. Think it was called mr chippy.

If its not on the menu they still might sell it but you might have to bring in your own bottle.

Advertisement