Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weed block/stones not working

Options
  • 09-08-2016 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi looking for some advice please on dealing with weeds coming through weed block and stones in a big way. The area is former veg patch with good soil covered with weed block and gravel years ago. Unfortunately this never really worked and wild grass, weeds, small trees growing through it. House is a second home and not regularly occupied so not practical to pull seedlings as they emerge. Looking for ideas on a permanent solution - considering builders plastic or something to make soil infertile poss salt. Talking about about 14x12ft - would sea water be any use?

If went with poisoning the soil how long would the effect likely to be?

any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

The weeds are from seeds sprouting in the cracks of the paving I'd imagine, so are not sprouting from below the barrier. Weedkiller is your best bet. Neudorff do an environmentally friendly one that lasts a few months, Bayer do a similar product but I'm unsure of it's ingredients. Most good garden centres should stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yea my guess is this is weeds growing on top of the barrier. They just blow in and take root.
    Just back in there from half hour pulling the very same thing myself.

I just give the area a once over with Gallup in the spring and then it's just a matter of pulling the odd ones that come up after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The weeds are prob growing on top of the weed block. Airborne dust particles collect and allow weed seeds to germinate - even the dust from the stones is suitable for germination - so you're fighting an uphill struggle.
    Maybe give one afternoon to weeding and call 2 weeks later to spray with a suitable long-lasting herbicide?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭chickey

thanks all, weeds mostly pulled -have sprayer and herbicide - sounds like the way to go

Advertisement