Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT228 Comp Science what's it like?

Options
  • 09-08-2016 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I made a similar post to this one on NCI's board located here

I've been considering a course offer from DIT for the last few days but I'm a little concerned at how challenging it will be. It is quite a maths heavy course (I'd consider myself average) and my main worry is that it might be TOO challenging?

I also got an offer from NCI in Computing which doesn't seem as good of a course in comparison to DIT's offer but it seems to be alot easier?

I could get a level 6 after two years and do another two years and get a level 8. In comparison to DIT you've to commit to all four years to get a very similar Bsc level 8.

I feel a bit lost in which college to pick, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.s. I'm 24, I'll be going in as a mature student with all distinctions in comp networking and systems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 HoopStudios

Hey Bangdrum,

I went back as a mature student last year (29 now). While I found the maths somewhat hard because I was only average at maths in school, I managed to get a 1st in it. If you are willing to put the work in outside of class you should be fine(Khan Academy is a godsend). The maths is pretty different from school maths. Its mainly a lot of logarithms, matrices, Boolean Algebra.

Overall I really enjoy the course so far. Some lecturers are not very good but others are deadly.

Feel free to ask any questions :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bangadrum

Hey Bangdrum,

I went back as a mature student last year (29 now). While I found the maths somewhat hard because I was only average at maths in school, I managed to get a 1st in it. If you are willing to put the work in outside of class you should be fine(Khan Academy is a godsend). The maths is pretty different from school maths. Its mainly a lot of logarithms, matrices, Boolean Algebra.

Overall I really enjoy the course so far. Some lecturers are not very good but others are deadly.

Feel free to ask any questions :-)

Firstly, thanks for the reply and I ended up accepting DIT's offer yesterday evening and I'm excited/nervous about attending.

I agree with you that Khan academy is a great resource for maths. I've been going through their material for about 2 months now and I've gotten much better.

Do you have any insider information on what the maths support is like at DIT? Do you really just go to them with some material and they sort you out?

I never used it myself but as far as I know they have certain hours you can just walk in with anything you are struggling with. I think its a mix of maths lecturers and phd students who run it..

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bangadrum

I never used it myself but as far as I know they have certain hours you can just walk in with anything you are struggling with. I think its a mix of maths lecturers and phd students who run it..

Very good, I may go to it if needed, no harm in seeing what its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

DITs would be the stronger offering. I'd rate NCI with Griffith on being easier but less well regarded degrees.

Just bear in mind starting now you may end up in Grangegorman from Y2/Y3 onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

I completed this course.
    I thought it was difficult enough even though I would have considered myself tech/maths savvy. I would not have programmed before the course though so that was a whole new world.

A lot of the modules are quite easy at the same time though.

It's a good course and I have a great job because of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I graduated from this course two years ago. I was poor at maths (Ordinary level C3 in LC) and I found it fine. The two maths modules were only in 1st and 2nd year. They were fine. In my current job as a software engineer I have no real use for them. If you feel like the four years for level 8 would be too much you can leave after year three with an ordinary degree, and if I'm not mistaken you can leave after year two with a higher cert.

It's a good course. Plenty hands on and lighter on the theory. If you stick with it you'll have good job opportunities and a pretty interesting career coming out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

NCI is a brilliant college, and the course is great. I'm in year 3 of the Bsc in computing there, after completing the level 6 higher certificate.

What do you need to know about the NCI course ? Ask me any question, because i'm going to really sell the college to you.

Utah wrote: »
    I completed this course.
    I thought it was difficult enough even though I would have considered myself tech/maths savvy. I would not have programmed before the course though so that was a whole new world.

A lot of the modules are quite easy at the same time though.

It's a good course and I have a great job because of it!
    MillField wrote: »
    I graduated from this course two years ago. I was poor at maths (Ordinary level C3 in LC) and I found it fine. The two maths modules were only in 1st and 2nd year. They were fine. In my current job as a software engineer I have no real use for them. If you feel like the four years for level 8 would be too much you can leave after year three with an ordinary degree, and if I'm not mistaken you can leave after year two with a higher cert.

It's a good course. Plenty hands on and lighter on the theory. If you stick with it you'll have good job opportunities and a pretty interesting career coming out of it.

Did you guys have trouble finding jobs once you were finished? Did you do any internships or projects on your time on top of the 3rd year work placement??

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Did you guys have trouble finding jobs once you were finished? Did you do any internships or projects on your time on top of the 3rd year work placement??

Cheers

I found a job within a month of finishing and I didn't do an internship. There is an option in the second semester of 3rd year to go to a company for a placement, but I decided to stay in the college and pick up some extra modules.

Most people do the internship, and from talking to them they were happy with the experience. And it's paid as well which is always a bonus!

There are plenty of jobs in this area all over Ireland. I can't think of one person in my class of 60 (ish) who graduated with me who didn't have a job within 6 months of finishing.

• Advertisement

MillField wrote: »
    I found a job within a month of finishing and I didn't do an internship. There is an option in the second semester of 3rd year to go to a company for a placement, but I decided to stay in the college and pick up some extra modules.

Most people do the internship, and from talking to them they were happy with the experience. And it's paid as well which is always a bonus!

There are plenty of jobs in this area all over Ireland. I can't think of one person in my class of 60 (ish) who graduated with me who didn't have a job within 6 months of finishing.

Cool thanks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Cheers

I did my last exam on a Friday and started a job on the Monday. It was a junior DBA/reporting role but they hired me based on the projects and final year project I had complete. I learned a lot in that junior role and went on to better jobs.

Utah wrote: »
    I did my last exam on a Friday and started a job on the Monday. It was a junior DBA/reporting role but they hired me based on the projects and final year project I had complete. I learned a lot in that junior role and went on to better jobs.

Cool, thats good to hear!! Thanks for the info..

Advertisement