Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB Weekend Away - Best Package?

Options
  • 09-08-2016 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so the rules are:

- Must be based in Ireland
    - Must have some "wow" trails or scenery, nothing overly technical, beginner mountain bikers!
    - The "Package" is a complete weekend of mountain biking, so ideally 2 days of riding, a nice place to stay and relax after in a nice jacuzzi (so a nice hotel and not a "premier inn" equivalent) with somewhere great to have a meal in the evening

I was looking at Ballyhoura and the self-catering apartments there, but I wanted to explore as many options as possible.

Bike rentals/guides aren't really an issue and don't need to be part of the package to make the grade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.hanorascottage.com/accommodation

They may have a Jacuzzi, but certainly have excellent food.

Glasha farmhouse which is close by is also excellent and has a country pub within 300m. Not sure about Jacuzzi though!

Non technical mtb trails on your doorstep, I'll pm strava routes in area if interested. MTB sportive is normally on Halloween weekend

No connection with either place btw

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

You should be able to find a good hotel near limerick and do a day in Ballyhoura and then spend another day in bikeparkireland.ie in Roscrea.

Or stay in one of the self catering houses on fairymountfarm which bikeparkireland is part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

ford2600 wrote: »
    http://www.hanorascottage.com/accommodation

They may have a Jacuzzi, but certainly have excellent food.

Glasha farmhouse which is close by is also excellent and has a country pub within 300m. Not sure about Jacuzzi though!

Non technical mtb trails on your doorstep, I'll pm strava routes in area if interested. MTB sportive is normally on Halloween weekend

No connection with either place btw

PM Away!

There are plenty of "nice" hotels, but I've done the bike trip/hotel before and found you end up staying in a very dated hotel or one more geared for corporate clients...what I mean by a package is the kind of hotel (or B&B, self serve, etc.) where you'd like to relax and put your feet up, read a book, watch a movie or sit in the pub after a long day's cycling!

Good shower obviously a must-have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Stayed here earlier in the year when we went to Ballyhoura http://www.ballinwillinhouse.com/ They have a kitchen for guests so we made our own dinner and had an amazing breakfast in the main house. They have a farm so the breakfast is all their own produce. Owners are friendly, rooms are nice and they didn't mind our mucky stuff. Shower was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ballyhoura is good cos you could combine it with a day in bike Park Ireland maybe?

Have you seen that mtb sportive that the Burren cycling club are running? Sounds like great trails - even goes into the ailwee caves! And no end of nice places to stay.

Extra kudos if you book into Dromoland and traipse through the grandeur in mud splattered mtb gear :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

If I was going away for 2 days mountain biking (and I'm not), I'd go to Carlingford/Warrenpoint and do one day in Rostrevor and one day in the Cooleys. Just an idea, I don't know anything about the other parts of your package. Recent falls in sterling might make it slightly more affordable than until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I don't know anything about the other parts of your package.

Let's keep it that way!

Advertisement