Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Havey Norman sole me a second hand mac without telling me

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SPENSERDOXX

the_syco wrote: »
    Ask for the original hard-drive unformatted, offer to pay for it. Explain you have business data on it.

Offer to pay, so that they give you the hard-drive.

The apples guys were pretty sound they even asked what folder is of the most importance so that if they can get it they will, but I also told them I want the hd afterwards regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

dbagman wrote: »
    ok,well theres a petrol station at the top of my estate, what response do you think Id get if I drove into them and said the petrol station 10 miles down the road is selling theirs cheaper and they should match it coz their shop is more convenient for me. Iv a sneaking suspicion theres more than meets the eye here. either there was a misunderstanding between you and harvey norman or youre not giving us all the info. I'm fairly certain you'd be aware if a box had been opened and resealed in store.

Thats a really stupid analogy

But youre making an awful lot of assumptions and placing Harvey Norman in the wrong!

I'm merely trying to look at it from another point of view. One which if the package was intact as you say isnt entirely inconceivable

No mate stop commenting, you are just bored and trying to pick holes in something you absolutely haven't a breeze about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

smash wrote: »
    HN will always price match. A petrol station won't.

Fair enough, I cant say Iv ever shopped with them much to know they operate this way.

can I ask OP though, did you not try activate your own warranty upon purchase? Thought that was one of the first things you generally do with computers. And should the warranty issue not have cropped up then?

liam7831 wrote: »
    Thats a really stupid analogy

again. I was unaware HN were so open to haggling. Cant say Iv ever bought anything from them. my apologies on that

• Advertisement

Gormal wrote: »
    The issue is still that you were sold a product that had been activated months prior to purchase. Doesn't matter if Apple repair it or not. You are still entitled to a full refund or replacement on these grounds since you have that letter about the activation.

But if Apple repair it and it's all fine I won't have a need to get a refund, and if they repair it with all my data I certainly wouldn't give it back to them for a better model or anything as my setup, configuration, databases, apps and source files are worth more that the most expense mac :)

No mate stop commenting, you are just bored and trying to pick holes in something you absolutely haven't a breeze about.

listen, Im not trying to pick holes in anything. I gave you my view on your initial post and you didnt like what I had to say. No need to throw the dummy out of the pram. Hope you get your problem sorted regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Your warranty is with Harvey Norman, not Apple. And its more then a year for a decent laptop.

Your data recovery or compensation for loss of data is neither apples nor Harveys problem.

The date of registration on apple's systems is not sacrosanct. They could be wrong. If the unit was sealed and had all the shiny protective film on it, it was unlikely to be a refurb or display model.

Look into timemachine for local backups and work out of a directory linked to a decent cloud service. There are lots of things that can happen, hard drive corruption is only one of them. If you want to be a professional, then invest into backup solutions for your work.

Fair enough, I cant say Iv ever shopped with them much to know they operate this way.

can I ask OP though, did you not try activate your own warranty upon purchase? Thought that was one of the first things you generally do with computers. And should the warranty issue not have cropped up then?

Pay attention bagman, as I swi they Apple team told me that machines warranty gets activated as soon as I gets turned on and connects to the Internet

Your warranty is with Harvey Norman, not Apple. And its more then a year for a decent laptop.

Your data recovery or compensation for loss of data is neither apples nor Harveys problem.

The date of registration on apple's systems is not sacrosanct. They could be wrong. If the unit was sealed and had all the shiny protective film on it, it was unlikely to be a refurb or display model.

Look into timemachine for local backups and work out of a directory linked to a decent cloud service. There are lots of things that can happen, hard drive corruption is only one of them. If you want to be a professional, then invest into backup solutions for your work.

worded differently,and in fairness probably better. But in essence the opinion I was trying to purvey.

• Advertisement

worded differently,and in fairness probably better. But in essence the opinion I was trying to purvey.

Yeah... Great... Thanks bagman

Pay attention bagman, as I swi they Apple team told me that machines warranty gets activated as soon as I gets turned on and connects to the Internet

christ..... do i have to dumb it down.

would you
    not have
    been
    (heres a big one)
    notified of the activation of your warranty when you booted up the machine. (was that a bit too much in one line??)
    You buy a new machine you generally register it yourself?? no? So you would of had to input your details and then they notify you upon setup of warranty.

Yeah... Great... Thanks bagman

whats your issue mate? seriously?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Right folks, I think this thread has run it's course. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement