Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twice a week workout plan and recovery

• 09-08-2016 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭

I cycle about 200km a week between leisure spins and commuting. I joined a local gym and last Sunday morning did my first proper weights session in about 3 years from when I was lat in a gym. It was an all round weight session i.e incorporating back and chest exercises and my muscles in the arms and back/chest are still sore. I was wondering if someone could suggest a good all body 2 days a week workout plan (2 days is all I can afford to do at present between cycling and other commitments) and how long does it usually take for the doms to ware off and the body to get used to the weight training again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

billyhead wrote: »
    I cycle about 200km a week between leisure spins and commuting. I joined a local gym and last Sunday morning did my first proper weights session in about 3 years from when I was lat in a gym. It was an all round weight session i.e incorporating back and chest exercises and my muscles in the arms and back/chest are still sore. I was wondering if someone could suggest a good all body 2 days a week workout plan (2 days is all I can afford to do at present between cycling and other commitments) and how long does it usually take for the doms to ware off and the body to get used to the weight training again

I don't know what your goal is but if the end goal is just a decent full body workout then do 5 sets of 8 reps squats, deadlifts, bench and rows. It should take you the bones of an hour. If you're feeling really horny that day then throw in some chin ups or pull ups. You'll be sore for first 2 weeks, grand after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 The Codemaster

I do this twice a week, as well as cardio. It covers all the main muscles. Takes just over an hour. Superset each muscle group. Triset the legs.

Weight Routine (4 sets of 8 reps)
    CHEST:
    Incline Chest Press (16kg Dumbbells)
    Incline Flys (12kg Dumbbells)

BACK:
    Bent Over Row (16kg Dumbbells)
    Deadlift (24kg Barbell)

SHOULDERS:
    Military Press (24kg Barbell)
    Lat Raises (9kg Dumbbells)

ARMS:
    Bicep Curls (14kg Dumbbells)
    Triceps (Bench Dips, or French Press with 16kg barbell)

(Note updated sets & reps)
    ABS:
    Ab Crunches on Exercise Ball (4 x 12 reps)
    Plank (4 x 40 seconds)

LEGS:
    Calves - Farmer Walks (1min x 4 sets)
    Quads - Squats (4 Sets of 10, with 14kg Dumbells)
    Hamstrings & Glutes - Lunges (8 each leg x 4 sets, with 14kg Dumbells)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

jive wrote: »
    If you're feeling really horny that day then throw in some chin ups or pull ups.

Wait what!? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Wait what!? :confused:

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭jennyjoy

2 days of lifting a week woke necessarily get your body used to weights. It will most likely feel sore after each workout so be sure to really increase water intake and to keep moving (walking or cycling like it seems you regularly do) to keep muscles loose. The longer you wait to get them moving again, the tighter they get making it feel more sore and difficult to do things. I suggest doing some light weight high rep lifting so you don't overdo your muscles since, again, you won't be focusing on that too much. Try doing 1 exercise for 1 minute and do 5 different moves (5min total) and then repeat. You can mix it up with flys, deadlifts, upright rows, forward lunges with over head raises when you stand, etc. It's fun to mix that up and incorporate a few target areas within 1 move. I suggest really scouring the internet for different types of exercises you can do so you don't get bored with the same moves constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The first few weeks are getting back into weights have the hardest recovery time. After that you will only hurting for a day after. Thats me anyway.

Im generally only in the gym twice a week too for about 45 minutes or so.

Day 1:

Squats or Dead lift - I alternate these each week and do them heavy until i cant do one rep. I finish them off with a high volume light weight set of 10-12 reps.

If i squat then i do bench press and shoulder shrugs.
    If i dead lift then im generally ****ed so just do some light cardio, stretching and do some light core work (leg raises, sit-ups etc)

Day 2:

If i didnt do bench press on day 1 ill do it here. I do 5 reps x 5 sets starting at 60kg, 70, 80, 82.5, 82.5 (Almost at 5 reps on the last on) Finish it off with a 40kg high volume set of 10-12.
    Then followed by bicep and tricep work.
    Lower back work and some rows.

As you can see im fairly flexible with my workout but i try and hit each workout until im hurting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

billyhead wrote: »
    plus way more mobility work than you think you need to

Advertisement