Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handmade and homemade Christmas

Options
  • 09-08-2016 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

As the title says, this year everyone in my family - other than the little kids who need a Santa pressie as well, are getting something handmade or homemade for Christmas. Doing a Gardening hamper for one person and started by gathering a foxglove, a few poppies and some wild scabious to save the seeds for their wild garden. Will add some lavender and rosemary hand balm, aching muscle soak (lavender is ready to pick and hang to dry this week - you find loads on industrial estates) and some ceramic plant markers. So that is the first on my list, determined to be organised this year!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

As the title says, this year everyone in my family - other than the little kids who need a Santa pressie as well, are getting something handmade or homemade for Christmas. Doing a Gardening hamper for one person and started by gathering a foxglove, a few poppies and some wild scabious to save the seeds for their wild garden. Will add some lavender and rosemary hand balm, aching muscle soak (lavender is ready to pick and hang to dry this week - you find loads on industrial estates) and some ceramic plant markers. So that is the first on my list, determined to be organised this year!

lavender wild on industrial estates ??
    is that not buddleia:o

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

_Brian wrote: »
    lavender wild on industrial estates ??
    is that not buddleia:o
    Funny you mention buddleia, my mum wants one for her back garden - not lavender growing wild, more rampant. It seems to be a fave along with rosemary to plant in the edgings. Aldi often has them in their plantings as well. I am only talking about collecting a few handfuls, not harvesting the whole estate ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

That sounds lovely makeandcreate. I make presents for family sometimes. Ive drawn pictures and made signs before. They've always been well-received.

I read Christmas magazines and some of the lovely gifts suggested have been hampers - not just food, but hampers for gardeners, book lovers, movie lovers, etc. I really like this idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I love making gifts for people! I usually make some sort of hampers up for my friends with jams, cookies etc. I love getting gifts like this too. To know someone sat down and thought about what would be best for you, and spent time making it is really sweet.

I also love making stuff for decorations etc. I do a pottery class and I've made ceramic bunting for our kitchen, some little figurines etc. It makes me happy looking st them. They're not fantastic but I know I made them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I am not crafty at all like some of rhe amazing people on here but I always make hampers! MiL gets a wine hamper, sister and mam a make up hamper and close friends get customised hampers too. I just love sitting down to make them up in front of a fire and a Christmas film :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think homemade gifts can be lovely, but I always think of this when someone mentions them. :D

Advertisement