Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor/WWE Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Ageyev wrote: »
    It seems to me that the legit tough guy pro wrestler (Haku for example) is dead as a dodo and a lot of wrestlers these days are as insecure as your garden variety celebrity actor.
    Not super secure dudes like Flair and Hogan...

Extreme insecurity and paranoia is damn near an essential part of being a top level wrestler. Gotta attract the same kind of attention starved oddballs as comedy does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭764dak

He called Mr. McMahon "Vinnie". It seems he might be coming. Plus, he's Irish and the McMahons are proud Irish Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Not super secure dudes like Flair and Hogan...

Extreme insecurity and paranoia is damn near an essential part of being a top level wrestler. Gotta attract the same kind of attention starved oddballs as comedy does.

It really doesn't need to be though. Like I remember I came to wrestling after years of playing team sports like football, GAA etc like a normal Irish kid and the first thing that struck me was it wasn't like those with a sense of team camaraderie etc. It was, for the most part, the nerdiest wrestling fans you've ever met jumped up on ego after getting a tiny bit of validation getting cheered on in front of 20 people (the amount of people, by the way, who confuse getting a confidence boost and become raging egomaniacs with a bit of validation is nuts), whereas the reality was they could break their neck and have their 'career' end tomorrow and the wrestling world would go on just fine without them. If Hogan could be wiped clean from history, nobody is indispensable. Two years in and I was just as bad as anyone for the bitchiness and mindless competitiveness and paranoia, the way the business is set up just drives you that way and I cringe thinking about it now after getting some 'real world perspective', but it's the way it is. The only people who deny it's this way are the worst of the lot because they can't see the forest from the trees. And everyone is the same, that's not just a comment on how the Irish scene is/was, you'd get the imports in for a tour and a couple days in they're bullying and ****-stirring and falling out with the promoter and trying to ride someone's girlfriend. It's just pure toxicity from top to bottom. The performing part eventually becomes the only fun side of it and that's 20 minutes of a day in a hobby that requires 24/7 attention.

And the only reason it's that way is because the guys at the top are that way themselves and it filters down through guys who are trying to impress and mirror those guys at the top. There's no actual logical reasoning behind it. It serves nobody any benefit and only makes the lives of those involved worse. Anyone I met who had a, for lack of a better term, 'successful real life' (and by that I mean good job they like, steady relationship, owns property etc) disappeared from it eventually and never looked back because it's way more hassle than it's worth.

That's why I like to see the likes of Performance Centre finally bringing a sense of athletic professionalism to the sport and hopefully, eventually, that will filter down to all aspects of the industry. But I doubt it when you've 'one of the boys' in Triple H running the show. The industry would almost be better off if there was a UFC-like corporate takeover and someone with high standards came in and ran it like a business rather than a passion project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

That tweet didn't seem passive-aggressive at all. Just the usual Cena spiel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Might McGregor just be looking for something to take his mind off the upcoming fight? The more questions he gets about the WWE and Cena, the less he faces questions like, "Hey Conor, what happens if Nate chokes you out again?"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Might McGregor just be looking for something to take his mind off the upcoming fight? The more questions he gets about the WWE and Cena, the less he faces questions like, "Hey Conor, what happens if Nate chokes you out again?"

Tbh, I think it's probably part of the advertising of Summerslam that UFC agreed to as part of the Brock deal weeks ago. If I remember right, it was said UFC had to promote Summerslam, and being honest, a few choice words from McGregor has gotten WWE a **** tonne of free publicity and generated a lot of discussion. From what I can see, McGregor has said all of 5 sentences on it, but the discussion generated has been going on for a while now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Monokne

This whole thing started when a Sports Illustrated writer specifically asked Conor about Brock and WWE.

So for all the "it's a work, they're promoting Summerslam" conspiracy theorists, you'd also want to believe that WWE &/or UFC clued respected journo Jeff Wagenheim in on it and he agreed to take part which I must admit seems very unlikely to me.

And actually, given he was asking Conor about Brock because of his failed test, I guess they also planned on that when they agreed the deal in late May.

Seems like a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Monokne wrote: »
    And actually, given he was asking Conor about Brock because of his failed test, I guess they also planned on that when they agreed the deal in late May.

Seems like a stretch.

Said he'd slap the head off Ronaldo too.....erm ok.
    Next up he'll call David Beckham an innocent boy

That's gone way over my head brother. Did he actually say he'd hit Ron? Thought those two were buddies after seeing that pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Cena responded in character, he out worked the worker working the workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Bottle throwing with the Diaz bros. They needed to do something & Vince would be proud of that angle. Bit carny for his tastes mind :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

ERG89 wrote: »
    Bottle throwing with the Diaz bros. They needed to do something & Vince would be proud of that angle. Bit carny for his tastes mind :o

Was a bit hammy alright but I really think it happened naturally and wasn't set up.

LOLed at Dana's "....NO CONOR. Don't throw the stuff" *Conor flings bottle*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Was a bit hammy alright but I really think it happened naturally and wasn't set up.

LOLed at Dana's "....NO CONOR. Don't throw the stuff" *Conor flings bottle*

There was no way that was set up, one or two cans of monster were flung too I think and had any of them connected with press or a fan you're talking massive lawsuit and had they hit a fighter you're talking fight over. It the builds up the hype for the fight but ain't no way the Dana is stupid enough to risk the fight being cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There was something staged about it. Very little trash talking in the build to this and then Wednesday comes along - the most important part of the build being Wednsday to fight night - and all this happens? Sorry, not buying this. My 'Workedar' is going into overdrive.

Perhaps Dana White didn't know certain details, perhaps the bottle element was done on a spur of the moment, but something was planned between them imo.

As Meltzer put it, it was a shoot, but everyone on the internet will try and act 'smart' and say it was a work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

There was something staged about it. Very little trash talking in the build to this and then Wednesday comes along - the most important part of the build being Wednsday to fight night - and all this happens? Sorry, not buying this. My 'Workedar' is going into overdrive.

Perhaps Dana White didn't know certain details, perhaps the bottle element was done on a spur of the moment, but something was planned between them imo.

Diaz walking out was probably planned between the brothers the same way Conor planned to show up late to piss off Diaz. Ain't no way anything else was a work as the NSAC would have a field day if something happened and NY commission would hit them hard by blocking their New York PPV.

Diaz walking out was probably planned between the brothers the same way Conor planned to show up late to piss off Diaz. Ain't no way anything else was a work as the NSAC would have a field day if something happened and NY commission would hit them hard by blocking their New York PPV.

I'm not sure Nate 'Everyone's on steroids' Diaz thinks too much about the ramifications of his actions. I don't believe Dana White would have sanctioned the bottle throwing as it doesn't make business sense like you mentioned, but I do believe some sort of altercation was cooked up beforehand between McGregor and Diaz.

The build to this fight up to now has been underwhelming. But now I see there are people on social media saying they are hyped for the fight after what happened. Job done. McGregor is too good a worker to not have had something in mind imo.

I mean they barely said a cross word about one another up to this fight and yet days before they meet, suddenly there are willing to fling bottles at one another?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So the fight this weekend clashes with NXT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I'm not sure Nate 'Everyone's on steroids' Diaz thinks too much about the ramifications of his actions. I don't believe Dana White would have sanctioned the bottle throwing as it doesn't make business sense like you mentioned, but I do believe some sort of altercation was cooked up beforehand between McGregor and Diaz.

The build to this fight up to now has been underwhelming. But now I see there are people on social media saying they are hyped for the fight after what happened. Job done. McGregor is too good a worker to not have had something in mind imo.

I mean they barely said a cross word about one another up to this fight and yet days before they meet, suddenly there are willing to fling bottles at one another?

That's probably because Diaz isn't a very good talker and Conor had been beatnso he didn't really have a leg to stand on with regards to his usual sh*t talk.

Interesting that he "guaranteed" a third match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,138 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So the fight this weekend clashes with NXT?

No NXT should be over before McGregor fights

I won;t be watching either live anyway. Will watch on Sunday, avoiding results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The odds on Diaz are mental. Can get him winning by KO, TKO, Submission or Disqualification for 8/5. Gonna stick some money on that for sure.

Ageyev wrote: »
    That's probably because Diaz isn't a very good talker and Conor had been beatnso he didn't really have a leg to stand on with regards to his usual sh*t talk.

Interesting that he "guaranteed" a third match.

If Diaz isn't a good talker, how did he and Conor break the all time UFC PPV record when Nate had a 5-5 record in his last 10 fights?

Being a good talker is not about enunciating correctly, it's about connecting with the audience, and it's very clear Nate has managed to do that with his promo's over the last decade.

What are everyone's predictions for the fight? I'm thinking Diaz makes his tap again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

What are everyone's predictions for the fight? I'm thinking Diaz makes his tap again.

DQ finish due to Brock Lesnar interference to set up a triple threat at MMAnia in New York.

... That said. Diaz making him tap would be the most likely outcome given their respective strengths and styles / how the last fight went. Perhaps with it going a round longer and Conor being ahead till then. That said I'm no MMA expert, in fact I am probably the definition of the casual PW MMA fan, brought in by Brock and kept around by a few people with real star power since then like Rousey and Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Brock Lesnar on Conor McGregor:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Man I'd love to see Vince let the wrestlers drop the "F" Bomb in promos.

"Fake"?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Used to never watch these live because of how late they were on but where I am it's now 11am as I watch the Cowboy fight :) Great combo to finish it off.

Rumble Johnson vs Glover now then the main event

edit: well that didn't take long! Boom...Bring on DC

Advertisement