Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running off the bike- what's the secret?

Options
  • 09-08-2016 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Is it just practice or do some people always struggle with running after cycling?
    Did my first sprint tri on Sunday . I was focused on just being able to swim the distance so hadn't done enough running or cycling.
    Every adventure race I do I have to hobble the last run - I just can't seem to get into my stride and my legs are like blocks.
    I know I should practice running off the bike more but I have done it before and haven't found it any easier. Legs just seize up and I'm really slow.
    Should I just do more of it? Is there some secret trick or am I just not fit enough/ too old?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Practice helps alright, also a stronger cyclist should be more comfortable running off the bike so getting the bike stronger helps.

I also find that spinning out the legs before transition helps, drop into an easy gear and get your legs going so there is less stress on the muscles. What sort of cadence would you normally average on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Everything can be trained. I wouldn't worry about it too much and I would just continue working on it, doing as much as you can for both of the disciplines but also collecting those bike-run bricks. Also, you might be pushing it a bit too much on the bike if you really want to "kill" the run so consider saving some energy on some of those brick trainings to try and see how your legs react then. ;)
    I also find that spinning out the legs before transition helps, drop into an easy gear and get your legs going so there is less stress on the muscles. What sort of cadence would you normally average on the bike?

+1 This was suggested to me (as well as kicking a bit more towards the end of swim) and I find it really helpful - just gear down a bit a up your cadence for the last few km ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

When you say your legs seize up and your really slow, how slow are you??

Usually people underestimate how quick they are running when they start the run, speed perception is off because of the bike, you compare your run speed to your bike speed. Push it too hard at the start of the run and you never really get a chance to recover. Generally better to negative split the run.

That and practice, practice, practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭The Davestator

joey100 wrote: »
    When you say your legs seize up and your really slow, how slow are you??

Usually people underestimate how quick they are running when they start the run, speed perception is off because of the bike, you compare your run speed to your bike speed. Push it too hard at the start of the run and you never really get a chance to recover. Generally better to negative split the run.

That and practice, practice, practice.

Good post - had never heard it explained like that - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Thanks all, food for thought.

68 lost souls, I have never measured my cadence I confess. I'm relatively stronger on the bike than running and maybe I push that too much because i know I can make up time. But then people i pass on the bike overtake me on the run in their droves!
    IAcesHigh, that could be just it- I put too much into bike leg. Will try dropping into an easier gear and relax the muscles out a bit. And practice!
    joey 100- I'm slow enough anyway, just nudge under 25 min for 5k. But 4.5k on Sunday took me 26:29. I have to cope by taking small steps and upping my cadence because I can't get my feet off the ground.
    I did one brick session last week with a friend, she bounded off the bike like a gazelle and I could hardly put one foot in front of the other!
    I am thinking of Sea to Summit so I have three months to try to get this right.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement