Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP desktop Windows upgrade, what version win?

• 09-08-2016 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a HP desktop machine a few years old, 4 GB RAM, 360 GB disk and 3.4 GHz or so processor. From new it had Vista (product key sticker still on) but it did get downgraded to XP.

I want to get this machine to a spec as a first machine for grandchildren (Mammy wants to put it in the hall where she can keep an eye on usage)

So I'm thinking maybe try getting it to minimum Win 7... advice needed on how best to do this without breaking the bank. Or maybe other upgrade path?

Model is a HP a6305.uk. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hi, I have a HP desktop machine a few years old, 4 GB RAM, 360 GB disk and 3.4 GHz or so processor. From new it had Vista (product key sticker still on) but it did get downgraded to XP.

I want to get this machine to a spec as a first machine for grandchildren (Mammy wants to put it in the hall where she can keep an eye on usage)

So I'm thinking maybe try getting it to minimum Win 7... advice needed on how best to do this without breaking the bank. Or maybe other upgrade path?

Model is a HP a6305.uk. Thanks.

There's no direct upgrade path from Windows XP to Windows 7, so you'd be looking at a completely new OS install - it can be quite hard to get legit copies of Windows 7 these days as it's not sold by retailer anymore, far as I know.

A machine like that would run Windows 10 fairly comfortably - and would run a Linux distro very nicely indeed. Depends on what route you want to take, really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I don't have any experience of Linux on a home PC, as long as it had a decent browser and could play the youtube videos it would do the job I guess.... and for less than buying Windows?

Any recommendations on an easy install Linux option? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I don't have any experience of Linux on a home PC, as long as it had a decent browser and could play the youtube videos it would do the job I guess.... and for less than buying Windows?

Ubuntu would probably be best, but others reckon Mint is a lot closer to a Windows interface (I have yet to play with it myself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

As someone who has been dualbooting windows 10 (which I never even use after upgrading free from 7) and mint I can highly recommend it.
    Mint 18 with google chrome is an ideal, simple, customisable desktop setup for anyone and with a small bit of patience it will do just about anything an average used could want.

The patience required is because of preconcieved ideas most people have learned from dealing with windows because its everywhere.
    Stick with it, its worth it and free, but you can donate if you want to.

I am going to give the Mint 18 a go. I have downloaded the ISO and will report back :)

• Advertisement

Mint is a solid choice for any newcomer to Linux, it really is very hard to go wrong. I'd recommend the Cinnamon desktop, its very easy for XP/Windows 7 users to get used to.

Let us know how you get on!

Well all I can say is WOW, that was easy! I had visions of messing about on command line editing files and suchlike....

For the inexperienced I would really recommend Linuxmint. I downloaded the ISO file (1.7 GB), burnt it to DVD, booted the machine from the DVD and followed the install prompts. I selected to keep the Windows XP partition which then keeps all the files available (music files and docs etc) and gives you a dual boot option at startup but it will default to Mint after 7 seconds or so if you don't select an option. Remains to be seen how easy it will be to install my €2 wireless adapter when it arrives from China.

For anyone fed up with slow XP or Vista this has to be the way to go... Oh yes the built suite of office applications for creating docs and spreadsheets and presentations was a surprise bonus, all compatible with MS Office apparently. I'd say to anyone give it a go. Thanks for suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Remains to be seen how easy it will be to install my €2 wireless adapter when it arrives from China.

If I was a betting man, I would bet plug and play. Hardware support has come on leaps and bounds in linux over the last few years.

Well all I can say is WOW, that was easy! I had visions of messing about on command line editing files and suchlike....

For the inexperienced I would really recommend Linuxmint. I downloaded the ISO file (1.7 GB), burnt it to DVD, booted the machine from the DVD and followed the install prompts. I selected to keep the Windows XP partition which then keeps all the files available (music files and docs etc) and gives you a dual boot option at startup but it will default to Mint after 7 seconds or so if you don't select an option. Remains to be seen how easy it will be to install my €2 wireless adapter when it arrives from China.

For anyone fed up with slow XP or Vista this has to be the way to go... Oh yes the built suite of office applications for creating docs and spreadsheets and presentations was a surprise bonus, all compatible with MS Office apparently. I'd say to anyone give it a go. Thanks for suggestion.

The Linux kernel has come on leaps and bounds when it comes to hardware support so as the other person said, I'd put my money on plug and play. Should be grand! Glad you're enjoying the Mint experience, and good call on keeping the XP partition. You can just mount your XP partition in Mint if you want to access any files on there.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The Linux kernel has come on leaps and bounds when it comes to hardware support so as the other person said, I'd put my money on plug and play. Should be grand! Glad you're enjoying the Mint experience, and good call on keeping the XP partition. You can just mount your XP partition in Mint if you want to access any files on there.

Plug and play it was, worked fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement