Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai Hack

• 09-08-2016 11:39pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet. http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0807/807535-garda-hacking/

It doesn't go into much detail, but I'm curious to know why anyone might target the Gardai.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Just to prove they can, as a challenge - that's about it I would reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Most likely a ransomware incident according to this.

But the lads over at WWN may have it figured out. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Most likely a ransomware incident according to this.

Nowhere in that article mentions malware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

The Gardai would have "interesting" information and now with Norín cracking down on leaks to journalists... Paul McWilliams can't make up everything now can he ;)

What's known of the exploit? I've heard/read that a 0-day exploit was used, that unusual usage patterns were caught, that Garda email was shut down but nothing from a reliable source, just INM and RTE whose Garda reporting is pretty much dictation.

syklops wrote: »
    Nowhere in that article mentions malware.

While the term malware is not mentioned, ransomware is ... a few times. And this section is titled Malicious software, which contracts to malware, so it's kinda implied. :rolleyes:

Edit: I just searched the article and malware IS actually used twice in other parts. :o
    Malicious software

A leading IT security expert said the attempted hack of An Garda Síochána’s systems was likely to have been a so-called ransomware attack, in which malicious software denies access to a computer system until a sum of money is paid.

IT security expert Brian Honan of BH Consulting said there was not enough information about what had happened but his “best guess” was that the Garda systems had been hit by ransomware.

"From reading what’s available, this does not seem to me to be a targeted attack. It looks to be an infection by a previously unknown computer virus, and is probably likely to be a ransomware type of attack.”

“There is a lot of speculation that this is a targeted attack and that it was using zero-day [previously undisclosed] vulnerabilities, but this is a good example from an incident response point of view as to why clear and unambiguous communication is important to allay speculation and fears.”

Mr Honan said that if it had been a targeted attack, this was very hard to defend against but the impact of such an attack could be much greater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

You'd swear it was a serious attack the way the media first reported in on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Edit: I just searched the article and malware IS actually used twice in other parts. :o

Apologies. I may have had drink taken when I made that comment.

syklops wrote: »
    Apologies. I may have had drink taken when I made that comment.

Nay bother. It was a rather late hour of the night!!! :p:D;)

Advertisement