Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standing desk questions

• 10-08-2016 9:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

Anyone here use a standing desk in work? Thinking about making the switch since apparently sitting is worse than smoking now :pac:

Any recommendations on products or what to look out for when looking to buy one? If I do get it it'll be one of those stands you just put on a normal desk.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Anyone here use a standing desk in work? Thinking about making the switch since apparently sitting is worse than smoking now :pac:

Any recommendations on products or what to look out for when looking to buy one? If I do get it it'll be one of those stands you just put on a normal desk.

Have one of these here. Well, it's the Cube Corner because of the desk layout here but there are plenty of options.

I don't use it all the time - just when I run out of cigarettes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Have one of these here. Well, it's the Cube Corner because of the desk layout here but there are plenty of options.

I don't use it all the time - just when I run out of cigarettes...

Damn they're expensive. I was looking at 50 euro ones off Amazon :D

I hadn't realised until I went looking :)

Once you can adjust the height readily enough and there's room for the keyboard and monitor, I don't think you need too many bells and whistles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The ikea standing desk hack results you'll get back will make you wanna build your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 videopirate

Eat right, exercise and sit at your desk?

• Advertisement

Eat right, exercise and sit at your desk?

Have those nailed down. I'm more thinking this might help my posture and also I don't like sitting for 42 hours a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Are you reading Kelly Starrett's new book as well?

It's pretty scary how long you spend sitting down every day.

I was actually a few years ahead of this trend back in college. The only place in my room where there was Wi-Fi was right in the corner. There was a cabinet there and I used to rest my laptop on it and work from there. When I say work what I really mean is load films/tv shows and then collapse into bed to watch them.

I just got a box and a folder to rest my laptop on there. It's still a bit low. I need to find a few more books.

I'm not sure how sturdy this structure is. I'm going to give it a go for a few days.

Have those nailed down. I'm more thinking this might help my posture and also I don't like sitting for 42 hours a week.

You should consider reclining also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

Very interested in this too. I tried to use a load of books and it was grand but you just look strange though to other people.

I don't think I would like to splash out on the Varidesk though.

Are you reading Kelly Starrett's new book as well?

No actually didn;t realise he had a new one out. Must take a look.
    It's pretty scary how long you spend sitting down every day.

I was actually a few years ahead of this trend back in college. The only place in my room where there was Wi-Fi was right in the corner. There was a cabinet there and I used to rest my laptop on it and work from there. When I say work what I really mean is load films/tv shows and then collapse into bed to watch them.

I just got a box and a folder to rest my laptop on there. It's still a bit low. I need to find a few more books.

I'm not sure how sturdy this structure is. I'm going to give it a go for a few days.

Yeah I always get uncomfortable after a while and just look for an excuse to get up. Might try the frugal route alright! I'd need something for the keyboard and mouse too. On a desktop at work.
    You should consider reclining also.

... What do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I've always thought this sounded like hell, and a perfect way to make your work day feel five times as long as it is.

No actually didn;t realise he had a new one out. Must take a look.

I have it. It's very interesting. If you want to have a look, I can bring it to the gym some time.

If you have an interest in improving your posture, it's a must-read in my view.

Deskbound
    Yeah I always get uncomfortable after a while and just look for an excuse to get up. Might try the frugal route alright! I'd need something for the keyboard and mouse too. On a desktop at work.

I reckon if you go to Pinterest, you will find a ton of frugal hacks for one.

Zillah wrote: »
    I've always thought this sounded like hell, and a perfect way to make your work day feel five times as long as it is.

I think you would just need to get used to it.

... What do you mean?

Reduces the shortening of your hip flexors (compared to sitting) and it's very comfortable :)

Raoul wrote: »
    I think you would just need to get used to it.

Exactly. If you ease yourself in, and follow safe guidelines, you should find that it is more beneficial than annoying.

Of course, another important part is that you should not give up after four hours and then write an article saying that it hurts your knees like this woman.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jun/01/four-hours-standing-time-office-worker

I have it. It's very interesting. If you want to have a look, I can bring it to the gym some time.

If you have an interest in improving your posture, it's a must-read in my view.

Deskbound

I reckon if you go to Pinterest, you will find a ton of frugal hacks for one.

Yeah that'd be good! I'll be there tomorrow around 6 and Saturday morning as well if you're going those times.

Good idea with pinterest as well.
    Reduces the shortening of your hip flexors (compared to sitting) and it's very comfortable

Ah interesting!

Ah interesting!

I wasn't being entirely serious....unless they would consider getting you a La-Z Boy at your desk :D

I wasn't being entirely serious....unless they would consider getting you a La-Z Boy at your desk :D

Aw It sounded so plausible. Extension of the hip and all. I could basically have done my job semi lying down. I'm sure my boss would have loved that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Im lucky enough to work for a company where all the desks are adjustable in height electronically with an up and down button on the desk :D

My wife got one of those ones that you just stick on top of the desk. One thing she mentioned is that now its not comfortable to sit down because everything is a little too high. So make sure its adjustable enough to be comfortable in both standing and sitting positions.

Yeah that'd be good! I'll be there tomorrow around 6 and Saturday morning as well if you're going those times.

I'll be in at half 11 on Saturday for the nutrition workshop. Will you still be there?

• Advertisement

I'll be in at half 11 on Saturday for the nutrition workshop. Will you still be there?

Yeah sure I can make that.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

My old office was kitted out last year in these Steelcase height adjustable tables last year, probably the same as what BrokenArrows mentions above.

They were the bomb! They were seriously good, used to stand for at least an hour in the morning and the same again after lunch, or whenever someone came to the desk for something. It was tough when I left the company as I honestly miss the things, but i traded it in for a 20 min cycle instead of 2+ hours in a car commuting so I can't complain too much.

They aren't cheap, but compare it to chronic back pain and the high chance of a back op in the future then they're worth it as i'm sure KStar is saying in Deskbound,

granty1987 wrote: »
    My old office was kitted out last year in these Steelcase height adjustable tables last year, probably the same as what BrokenArrows mentions above.

They were the bomb! They were seriously good, used to stand for at least an hour in the morning and the same again after lunch, or whenever someone came to the desk for something. It was tough when I left the company as I honestly miss the things, but i traded it in for a 20 min cycle instead of 2+ hours in a car commuting so I can't complain too much.

They aren't cheap, but compare it to chronic back pain and the high chance of a back op in the future then they're worth it as i'm sure KStar is saying in Deskbound,

He does say that in the book but at the same time he says you can use anything to make your standing desk. Books or whatever. I feel though these guys don't really know what it is like to work in an office with regular people.

Having a stack of books on your desk so you can have a standing desk would garner very strange looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You can pick up a frame from ikea for 450 to 500, or the entire thing for up to 550. Cost wise, its cheap compared to the rest and of the usual mid way ikea quality. I think they are called Bekant.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

He does say that in the book but at the same time he says you can use anything to make your standing desk. Books or whatever. I feel though these guys don't really know what it is like to work in an office with regular people.

Having a stack of books on your desk so you can have a standing desk would garner very strange looks.

I remember watching one of his mwod videos when he was addressing this back in the Supple Leopard days and he didn't have a chair at the desk in the gyms office, so whenever anyone needed to use the laptop there, they had to kneel at the desk.

He then mentioned something about keeping 20% tension in your core, ribcage down and elbows at your side for typing / driving

granty1987 wrote: »
    I remember watching one of his mwod videos when he was addressing this back in the Supple Leopard days and he didn't have a chair at the desk in the gyms office, so whenever anyone needed to use the laptop there, they had to kneel at the desk.

He then mentioned something about keeping 20% tension in your core, ribcage down and elbows at your side for typing / driving
    Yeah, I have the book and he doesn't just say stand up and that is it!

He does give you techniques for making sitting better. One quick one is sit on the edge of your seat rather than back fully on it. If you are sitting back fully on it you are just squashing your hamstrings. And spread your legs to get your back in a better neutral position.

Tbh, it is great but as with most things it is hard to be disciplined.

On one of the pages, he has eight different ways for sitting on a normal chair, none of which involve sitting as I would normally do. In one, he squats on the chair.

He's not entirely against sitting. In this video, they are all sitting on high chairs and Kelly gets off halfway through and stands.

Also, from the bit I have read, it would appear that his wife has done most of the writing and you can see from the video that she is a major influence as well.

I tried sitting with my legs spread and a neutral spine as Raoul mentioned. It is tiring. The 'simple' act of externally rotating my shoulders engages so many muscles in my back that I can't hold it for any longer than five minutes.

Taking his theory on face value, there is an awful lot more to it than just getting a standing desk.

On one of the pages, he has eight different ways for sitting on a normal chair, none of which involve sitting as I would normally do. In one, he squats on the chair.

He's not entirely against sitting. In this video, they are all sitting on high chairs and Kelly gets off halfway through and stands.

Also, from the bit I have read, it would appear that his wife has done most of the writing and you can see from the video that she is a major influence as well.

I tried sitting with my legs spread and a neutral spine as Raoul mentioned. It is tiring. The 'simple' act of externally rotating my shoulders engages so many muscles in my back that I can't hold it for any longer than five minutes.

Taking his theory on face value, there is an awful lot more to it than just getting a standing desk.

Since reading a few of these posts, I have been trying to do it again and yeah, my shoulders are tired. Just have to keep on trying.

His books are great and they really have changed the way I move considerably and even the way I breathe! (Used to breathe into chest).

Since reading a few of these posts, I have been trying to do it again and yeah, my shoulders are tired. Just have to keep on trying.

His books are great and they really have changed the way I move considerably and even the way I breathe! (Used to breathe into chest).

Consistency and discipline are key (says the guy who is very inconsistent with it).

His books and his videos are an incredible resource. He did a video with Men's Health recently and in 30 minutes gave more tips about body maintenance than 99% of other people would be able to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

Yay, finally a topic in fitness that I can relate to! :D

I have been coding 15+ years, so I guess I am qualified to comment.. I mean complain.

I have set up my home office (I work from home regularly) with an IKEA SKARSTA sit/stand desk. I have had this for a year now, and I love - strong stable table, with cleverly designed legs giving you loads of leg room. It's manual lift using a winding handle, but it's very easy to do.

We don't have sit/stand desks at work (despite couple of us asking for it during the latest office move and fit out), and I know a colleague with bad back has a small stand on his desk to raise up the monitor and keyboard. Doesn't look comfortable.

What really worked for me at work is to use an app on phone like Pomodoro (25m work, 5m break type thing) and force myself to walk away from the desk between every pomodoro. This often meant a trip to kitchenette to replenish water etc, and these 5 minutes could be a be a problem if you are smoker I guess.

PS: That SKARSTA + a wobble board = can't be bad right? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

Aw It sounded so plausible. Extension of the hip and all. I could basically have done my job semi lying down. I'm sure my boss would have loved that.

I'll just leave this here.

Advertisement